It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moon Orbit Wrong Cornell University Says.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Most people are quite ignorant about astronomy and when the real sky differs from their flawed expectations they think something strange is happening. Unless someone can present quantitative evidence of the moon being out of place, then I don't find the anecdotal claims from lay people useful, compelling, or meaningful. I do trust good "human observations" when they're done properly. Amateur astromoners perform those kinds of observations every night, yet I have yet to hear any of them claim something wrong with the position of the moon. Harsh? Perhaps, but not without reason or cause. There's no need for an explanation beyond simply the level of public understanding.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Moon anomalies would seem to be akin to mass hysteria - perhaps a sort of mass delusion. One person throws up, suddenly everyone's throwing up. One person says they see something wrong with the Moon, suddenly everyone's seeing something wrong with the Moon. Almost psychosomatic. The mind is a powerful thing. But, the laws of physics are more powerful, and those laws demand consequences for the sorts of lunar anomalies being claimed - consequences (such as for the tides and the Earth's rotation) that haven't been detected. So, we have two possibilities: either something is interfering with our observation (something purely optical, but scientifically explainable) or people are simply mistaken in their observations. And, if we want to believe that some sort of legitimate observational anomaly is responsible, then we should be able to detect its affects on other objects besides just the Sun and Moon. So, Occam's Razor suggests the cause is psychosomatic - it's all in our heads. That doesn't mean we should stop looking for anything anomalous, of course, but we can't blindly insist that something must be wrong just because we think we see something that's a bit off. We can't always believe what we think we see.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Yes it is possible they are seeing something and do not understand what they are seeing...and there are people who are attempting to explain to them:

A) They are seeing what they claim to be seeing; and (OF MOST IMPORTANCE),

B) WHY!!!

I agree that attacks on a personal basis should be excluded from any forum...I submit you take a look and come to your own conclusions as to how this should be defined and which parties engage others the most in this fashion...IT should be an eye opener...

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jeichelberg

It sure should. I got a thread for this subject. How about " The moon is upside down in Las Vegas? That thread is full of good decent manners .. Right. ? You guys always do the same thing. Like jurrasic Park at feeding time. I used to ask myself , "Why don't they create threads on their beliefs ?" Hard to post a thread when your constantly bashing others. You guys jump better than Pro BasketBall PLayers. Its amazing. Every single person without exception that comes in and says something in a general way , they have 5 of you pouncing on them. Unreal. Like I used to tell my kids, play with your own toys and show some courtesy.
edit on 15-11-2011 by CherubBaby because: Text addition.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by CherubBaby

Point me to one thing that I have posted that is, "unmannerly," or can be construed as such...the only thing I have ever been sanctioned for in ATS has been ONE excessive quote...Please do not resort to labeling or ad hominem...thank you...

I see you edited your post, so I will edit mine also to address one more issue...I do not like to be labeled a, "basher." I have asked questions, offered my points, and responded to others when they posted data...I have offered reasons why the information may be invalid or the conclusions may be invalid...that is not bashing nor is it unmannerly...it is exposition...and there is nothing wrong with exposition...
edit on 11/15/2011 by jeichelberg because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jeichelberg

I appreciate the responses from all of you.

Yes, I have read much of the thread, and I should have been more balanced in my critique. But it really sticks in my crawl when I see posts accusing others of being intoxicated. I try my best to steer clear of that, even if I'm thinking it.

The reason I clicked on this thread to start with, is because I've had a few people I know personally ask me about oddities with the moon this year. Which I found odd in and of itself, considering neither know anything about this site, or conspiracies. I didn't pretend to know the answers, but told them it was probably of no major concern, or I would have heard more about it by now. And voila, this thread. And I still don't think it's anything to get ones panties in a knot over. At least not from what I've read so far.
edit on 11/15/2011 by Klassified because: spelling

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I agree and I believe there should more study into what we see and how we interpret the movements of the Moon and Earth as we collectively move forward...Regrettably, the sciences (and education as a whole) are having funding cut or monies directed toward "monuments to architecture," instead of actual learning, while new and improved ways of killing each other are receiving the most dollars...There is validity to the OP cited paper as far as anomaly, but that data was taken directly from another source paper and attributes it to something not very likely to be true...hence, it was not submitted, neither was it reviewed (as of this date).

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
This link may answer all your questions....
www.fourmilab.ch...

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

So you don't want people to tell you the truth and play along with your misunderstandings of the paper and spread even more disinfo than this thread title?
edit on 11/15/2011 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/15/2011 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

You have to get real about this. Now, you have used a paper from Lorenzo lorio on the moon's orbital pertubations. In that paper he only uses a 'nearby' planet X as an example to account for those perturbations, but that's all, in other words for a planet X effect on the moon to happen it would in your face so to speak, it would be seeable in some way, and detectable, even then very far away, and long before the paper submission date of February this year. Lorio is dealing with some kind of anomaly not yet known, which is not a dirty great planet, also nothing to do with any event post February.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

You are so correct ,
There was even a Sky at Night Special on the moon last month....there are many many people looking up every night around the world , and the technology is getting cheaper and cheaper.
that is why claims like these and the other threads a few years ago claiming that there was crazy space stations up there are unfounded as many people now have great tech that can take detailed measurements and photos of objects planets etc....

and can the OP please change the title before Cornell University get the lawyers involved ????

thanks

snoopyuk
edit on 15-11-2011 by snoopyuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by snoopyuk

A bit of a grey area, Lorenzo lorio's paper resides there, since arXiv.org belongs wholly to Cornell. So if you want to be legal about it, not simply a clearing house,

" arXiv.org is an e-print service, providing open access to over half a million papers in the fields of physics, mathematics, non-linear science, computer science, quantitative biology and statistics. The contents of arXiv conform to Cornell University academic standards. arXiv is owned, operated and funded by Cornell University, a private not-for-profit educational institution. arXiv is also partially funded by the National Science Foundation."

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Oh my God are you lot eating stupid tablets, I mean I don't even have to post any "scientific proof" to show that this is complete nonsense. All that is needed is a receipt for a telescope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me explain:

1. You buy a telescope (for self or as a present) that has a computer program for controlling the position.
2. It has 38,000 objects pre-programmed....including the moon.
3. The moon changes as indicated by ATS experts who get very angry when told they are wrong (!)
4. Owners of telescopes purchased prior to moon shift have a telescope that no longer works (must occur if the "conspiracy" is true, an absolute fact)
5. Shops are inundated with returned telescopes that no longer function as they did when purchased and so they are entitled to their money back

Number 5 has not happened because all telescopes still function as programmed prior to the supposed shift

DUH DUH DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on challenge time please explain how the moon can change AND telescopes still work. Cognitive dissonance usually flows in copious volumes here on ATS and on this occasion it has to be huge.

Oh no hang on I've worked it out. TPTP/Illuminati know the moon was going to shift and have pre-programmed the telescope control software of all companies to adjust for the shift and all the programmers in all countries are either dead or are part of the conspiracy. Silly me, I'm such a dumb sheepie.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

data = sweet.

ty

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I thought this interesting from Cornell.

Question:
Is the Moon seen as a crescent (and not a "boat") all over the world? Is the same phase of the moon visible from the Northern and Southern hemispheres?

snippet from 2nd answer:

Sabrina: The appearance of the crescent moon will also change depending on the season for an observer staying at a single location on the Earth. We know the Earth does not sit right-side-up in its orbit - instead the Earth's axis is tilted and this tilt is what causes the seasons. Just as the Sun's path is different across the sky depending on the season (the path is longer during the summer giving us more direct sunlight and hotter days), the Moon's path will be different as well. What part of the Moon gets illuminated (i.e. whether it looks like a crescent or a boat) depends on how high the Moon is in the sky. During summer in the northern hemisphere, we are tipped away from the Moon's orbit, putting the Moon lower in the sky and creating more of a crescent. During winter in the north, we are tipped toward the Moon's orbit, putting the Moon higher in the sky and creating more of a boat.

Please click on image for larger detail. Credit: Goddard Space Flight Center

source: curious.astro.cornell.edu...
edit on 15-11-2011 by dcmb1409 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
This post self removed for being a bit off topic, abrasive, and a bit presumptuous.
edit on 15-11-2011 by Illustronic because: reasons stated

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
How are measurement of the distance between the earth and moon taken now? I remember a while back someone was going to stop recording of the lazer pointer thing at the moon reflector prism thing.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

I don't ask for anyone to validate anything I say. I just wish there was a different crew on duty for a change. I mean cmon you act like your all related. Family? The Osmonds?

Yes their all related, they share the same thing:

Knowledge

And... their all able to read carefully, not rush it over

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by dcmb1409

Big fat star for you!

2nd.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by malcr

I beg to differ regards the title. The OP title is 'Moon Orbit Wrong Cornell University Says' That is technically correct, since the paper by Lorenzo lorio, a well respected persona in his field, is dealing with an unknown anomaly researched by him resides there. What the OP is seeing regards the moon I have no idea, but it is nothing to do with the sources he/she is using, that's the point. Anything mentioned in the paper by Lorenzo lorio would make no dfference to programmed telescopes anyway.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join