It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moon Orbit Wrong Cornell University Says.

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

No. How many ephemerides for the one same object are needed before someone admits 'we don't know.' I think Hale-Bopp was up to 50 on its' way out of the solar system. Is that where it's heading with the moon? Depending on what day, what year and what epoch, we will select an ephemeris accordingly. Eclipse didn't happen? Sorry...got the wrong ephemeris.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

Oh you mean Tycho Crater, and yeah, nice ejecta rays, not exactly the south pole. Now I have an image of a peeled naval orange stuck in my head.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Of course theres something wrong with the moon, the Aliens have equiped a T3 turbo to that rock and are driving it away.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by samlf3rd
I don't understand the video. I would ask for my money back, but.

I didn't understand any of it actually...Anyone?

The moon looks like it's slowly rotating which would be bizarre as it's a stationary satellite that always faces the Earth in a fixed position.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by southbeach

Is this sarcasm? (Hard to tell sometimes):

....it's a stationary satellite that always faces the Earth in a fixed position.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I live in Michigan, and I have noticed the moon in my sector of the world is starting to look more egg-like to me, and for some reason I see it in the evening later and later now.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by luxordelphi
reply to post by ignorant_ape

No. How many ephemerides for the one same object are needed before someone admits 'we don't know.' I think Hale-Bopp was up to 50 on its' way out of the solar system. Is that where it's heading with the moon? Depending on what day, what year and what epoch, we will select an ephemeris accordingly. Eclipse didn't happen? Sorry...got the wrong ephemeris.

For the moon there is essentially only one ephemeris. There are variants, but they only differ by a tiny fraction of a percent.

en.wikipedia.org...

For scientific uses, a modern planetary ephemeris comprises software that generates positions of the planets and often of their satellites, or of asteroids or comets at virtually any time desired by the user. Often there is an option to find the velocities of the bodies of interest, as well.
Typically, such ephemerides cover several centuries, past and future; the future ones can be covered because celestial mechanics is an accurate theory. Nevertheless, there are secular phenomena which cannot adequately be considered by ephemerides. The biggest uncertainties on planetary positions are due to the perturbations of numerous asteroids, most of whose masses and orbits are poorly known, rendering their effect uncertain. Reflecting the continuing influx of new data and observations, the JPL has to revise its published ephemerides at intervals of 20 years.

And here's a rough explanation of how they work.

en.wikipedia.org...
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

Any change large enough to be visible to the naked eye would immediately be noticed by millions of skywatchers.

edit on 16-11-2011 by Uncinus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
The moon is changing every year.
It is slowly moving away from the earth.
It is moving away from us at an amazing rate of 3.8 centimeters a year!!
BTW,that paper referenced the LLR,or lunar lasar ranging.

Ranging has provided the most accurate technique available for measuring the Moon's rotation and orbit. It has also determined that the length of an Earth day has distinct small-scale variations. Also observed are crustal plate drifts on Earth. Measurements show that the Moon is moving away from the Earth at a rate of about 3.8 centimeters per year. Laser ranging has also made possible a wealth of new information about the dynamics and structure of the Moon.

funphysics.jpl.nasa.gov...

www.iers.org...

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I read the article cited. So translate for me, if you will, the scientific jargon. What's it mean? Is the moon ten feet further out than it's supposed to be or something?

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by piotrburz
So if it's true, earth should even more suffer from gravity pull of this unknown object, because of much higher mass of earth.

Not sure, but this article seems related somehow to this statement of yours. I agree with some other posters, the formulas will make your head spin, but the Intro and Conclusion are... decipherable-ish.

Well, the headline's intriguing, that's for sure!

An Empirical Explanation of the Anomalous Increases in the Astronomical Unit and the Lunar Eccentricity

Link: arxiv.org...
Snippet:

"As it was shown, the anomalous increase of the astronomical unit has attracted the attention of several researchers so far..."

"...Further processing of more extended data sets, with more accurate dynamical modeling, will be useful in shedding further light on such an anomaly. The authors of Ref. [1] conclude their review of the anomalous variation of the astronomical unit by writing at pag. 194: “If the reported increase holds up under further scrutiny and additional data analysis, it is indeed anomalous.

Disclaimer: Different statements in the article may be useful to both "Debate Teams" in this thread. Go easy on each other. I just found it interesting enough, and related enough, to share.

So, anomalous increase in the A.U. as well? Means we're moving further away from the Sun, right? Granted, minuscule amount, but still worth a hmmm. Agreed?

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by samlf3rd
I don't understand the video. I would ask for my money back, but.

I didn't understand any of it actually...Anyone?

I don't understand it. I have to tag this thread because I am into new theories of "Trans-Plutonion" objects, or Nibiru. To me this society is catastrophically funny. You have people who are either really intelligent on specific science topics, and can hold discussions about orbit eccentricity, ejecta rays, ephemerides and all of that pertaining to orbital bodies. And people like me who scratch our heads don't know what they are saying.

Because everyone else calls the moon a big shiny round object, I don't feel bad or awkward. People don't even look up and ignore what's above them, true and News doesn't tell us anything. Look at who we (not me) vote into office to run our country, Obama didn't even know the difference between Iowa and South Dakota. Bush didn't know the name of Canada's prime minister. You think they know anything about the Moon or stars? Kennedy was smart, he talked about Science programs, that was ages ago.
edit on 16-11-2011 by MarkScheppy because: add

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by kman420

But that doesnt explain why thousands of us from all around the world, can see it straight above us at say, 10pm one night, then not even in the sky at 10pm the next. Then 7pm the next night, then not again for days even weeks. But all of a sudden its back for a few days around the same part if the sky for a few nights around 9pm directly above us, then no where near that positon 24 hours later. and so on.

Yep, agreed, and I've got a good one for ya. About a week ago, the moon was above trees in my backyard at 7PM (East) and then 12 hours later was above the trees in my front yard (West) at 7AM --meaning it was visible for well over half a 24-hour span. Anybody know how many hours it takes the moon to orbit Earth? I'm simply not accustomed to seeing it in the sky for such a long duration. It was a waxing moon, a between 3/4 and full, just to add more info.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by new_here

Of course we are,the earth,is moving away from the sun.
And the same with the moon.
It is how solar systems work.
Nothing really new here.
But in our life times,will the moon escape earths orbit,or the earth move so far away from the sun that we turn into an icy,dead planet like Mars?
Not likely,but if it does happen,so what.
What are we going to do about it.
Nothing.
Enjoy the peace of the time we are living in.
Take in all the seasons as they change,smell the roses,it does't last forever.
And always,always have a good laugh cause that is the most joy you can feel.
Get over it ,people,we are all going to die.
Enjoy the ride to the fullest.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

Nothing really new here.

LoL on the "new here" if that was pun-intended!
Anyway, I think the focus was 'Anomalous' increase in A.U. as opposed to normal increase.
But I agree... nothing I can do about it and no use losing sleep over it.
Still a hmmm moment for me!

Peace, bro.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by new_here

Originally posted by kdog1982

Nothing really new here.

LoL on the "new here" if that was pun-intended!
Anyway, I think the focus was 'Anomalous' increase in A.U. as opposed to normal increase.
But I agree... nothing I can do about it and no use losing sleep over it.
Still a hmmm moment for me!

Peace, bro.

No pun intended.
Sorry.
the increase is pretty insignificant,the article is more gear to proving or disproving Einsteins theory of relativity for physicists.
Reading the article ,it amounted to me talking to my fellow mechanics about the difference between tightening a bolt a certain way to achieve a different result.
Physics small talk and speculation. Nothing more.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Sorry but the OP was hostile and rude from the get go...

Well, I confess the thread is so long I did not read every post, so I didn't witness who 'started the fire' just was surprised at the venom-spewing, but interested in the article being discussed. I had discovered some of the guy's work on that Cornell site months back and found it fascinating (when I could wrap my brain around it, LoL)

I guess we can all agree it's a hot topic for debate?

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   

I think the debate is more about if it is a hot topic or not. The skeptics say that a 2 inch per year drift isn't a big deal when the moon is 238,000 miles way, on average. But the theorists think it means something significant, and might account for why people think the moon is scatting all over the sky.

Nobody disagrees that moon is drifting, and the orbit is becoming ever so slightly more elliptical. It's just baffling as to why some people think it means this will affect up in any way.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uncinus

I think the debate is more about if it is a hot topic or not. The skeptics say that a 2 inch per year drift isn't a big deal when the moon is 238,000 miles way, on average. But the theorists think it means something significant, and might account for why people think the moon is scatting all over the sky.

Nobody disagrees that moon is drifting, and the orbit is becoming ever so slightly more elliptical. It's just baffling as to why some people think it means this will affect up in any way.

Well,you know,some people will always think up is down and vi-versus.
Sometimes the battle is not worth it.

Then you have to throw something like this in.

edit on 16-11-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I posted this earlier and it speakes for itself.

I want to say I am sorry if I offended anyone. I mean it. I would like to explain where I am at on this issue and why. We all have something to say most of the time on ATS. Thats why we come here. To share and to learn. You can add to that whatever else you feel ..

As far as myself personally. I actually learn and get good information. I get "The Other Side Of The Coin" from a great many people on ATS. In many threads and topics. Even people that share a different opinion or believe differently than myself, I keep an open mind on many subjects. Some I am not interested in, not because I don't care but rather I have certain beliefs that I don't need to change. I.E. my spiritual beliefs etc.

That being said, the topic of the moon and or the events taking place in the heavens above are very personal to me. I would be a liar if I told you I am not going to be swayed by facts and testimony. Swayed yes, convinced enough to change, not until I am convinced from within.

I am not here to question a persons IQ. or education or knowlege. At the same time I prefere not to have mine questioned either. This is a forum of what? Fact, fiction, theroy, news, etc That is what ATS is to me. Thats just me

The subject of the moon or chem/contrails for example are touchy topics. In my opinion they are. I believe they are because there are many explanations for them and there are many people that are not able to accept the reasons given to explain them all the time.I can only speak for myself but the reason I have a hard time with these subjects is simple. My heart tells me there is something not the same or not right at times due to times in the past that caught my attention and never left

I am not an old man but I am not a young man either. I do have one thing I can say I am gratefull for. That is I have a fine mind. I am not unconcious or mentally challanged. I have a fine memory and its filled with great memories and some not so great.

As far as this thread goes. I didn't start it because I felt the Cornell Paper was the hanger that everything is hung upon. I saw the paper as another piece of the puzzle. I know what the books say and have a pretty good idea of the opinions and facts that those who may have an oposing opinion present and why. Still I will continue to look and learn till I am convinced eitherway. At this time I am not sorry for feeling I may be on to something. Time will tell. Thx

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join