It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Wall Street founder hopes to form new political party

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   

From his Vancouver office, Kalle Lasn, who many consider to be the de-facto founder of the Occupy Wall Street movement, recounted the true origin of the group and what he believes it should and will become.

But Lasn does realize that the group will have to shake its scatterbrain image. “Down the road this movement will have to get some real concrete goals,” Lasn said. “But the real goal is when next spring we form a new political party. I don’t know, maybe it will be called the True Cost Party of America.” Currently, the staff of 10 at the Adbusters office is working on these future goals, including the activist dream of a third American political party.

Occupy Wall Street founder hopes to form new political party

edit on 15-11-2011 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
For a movement that claims its Apolitical, this is actually something I saw happening.

What does ATS think of the new "Occupy" political arm?

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Then they will have to stand in line. Some of these I have never even heard of.

Conservative Party of Canada

The Conservative Party of Canada is a creation of the merger of both the Canadian Alliance and the Progressive Conservative Party of Canada. The merger of the parties took place in December 2003 after the Conservative Party Agreement-in-Principle between the current Prime Minister Stephen Harper (then leader of the CA), and Peter MacKay (then leader of the Progressive Conservative Party). The party currently forms the government of Canada in a minority position. Party headquarters are in Ottawa Ontario, and the party’s official website is www.conservative.ca

First Peoples National Party

Advancing the issues of the Aboriginal peoples in Canada, the First Peoples National Party of Canada, or FPNPC, was founded in 2005. The party nominates candidates in ridings with large Aboriginal populations, but have yet to win a seat in the House of Commons. The party headquarters are in Sault Ste. Marie Ontario. Visit the official website at www.fpnpoc.ca

Green Party of Canada

The largest of the federally registered political parties without seats in the House of Commons, the Green Party of Canada was founded in 1983 around a green platform. The current party leader is Elizabeth May, and the party headquarters are in Ottawa Ontario. The Greens ran candidates in every riding in the last two federal elections. The official site for the Green Party can be found at www.greenparty.ca

Liberal Party of Canada
Canada’s oldest continuously running federal political party is the Liberal Party of Canada. Founded July 1, 1867, the Liberal Party has often been the party to lead Canada. This centre-left party has its headquarters in Ottawa Ontario, and is currently the Official Opposition in the Canadian Parliament. Current party leader is Stephane Dion, and the official website can be found at www.liberal.ca

Libertarian Party
The Libertarian Party of Canada was founded in 1975 and is headquartered in Embrun Ontario. Adhering to libertarian tenets the party has yet to win any seats in the House of Commons. The party leader is Jean-Serge Brisson and the official website is www.libertarian.ca

Marijuana Party
With a goal to end the prohibition of cannabis, Marc-Boris St-Maurice founded the Marijuana Party of Canada in 2000. The current party leader is Blair T. Longley, and the party headquarters are in Osoyoos British Columbia. The Marijuana Party does not have seats in the House of Commons but has been instrumental in changing Canada’s electoral laws. The party website is www.marijuanaparty.com

The New Democratic Party

The New Democratic Party, which was founded on June 17, 1961, currently holds seats in the House of Commons and forms the governments of Manitoba and Saskatchewan. The federal NDP are a centre-left party lead by Jack Layton, and the party headquarters are in Ottawa Ontario. Visit the federal NDP website at www.ndp.ca

Progressive Canadian Party

Members of the former Progressive Conservative Party of Canada who opposed the party merger with the Canadian Alliance founded the Progressive Canadian Party in March 2004. The Progressive Conservative Party of Canada, or PC Party, currently has no seats in Parliament and is lead by Sinclair Stevens. The party headquarters are in Toronto Ontario. The PC Party official website is

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I am voting for the party of the none above yep so much for that this aint about "politics" stuff and get ready for the people who scream and shout OWS doesn't have a founder and just simply reply:

Where do you think all their "talking points" and "information" came from there's not a single supporter than went out and collected their own information all they do us regurjitate decades of the same social engineering policies that have led us to this point.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
For a movement that claims its Apolitical, this is actually something I saw happening.

What does ATS think of the new "Occupy" political arm?

It's Apolitical in the sense of not being democrat or republican.. the only "real" parties. OWS is about getting outside the democrat vs republican stalemate, it doesn't identify with an existing political party, and the protestors include dems, reps, and independents.. and everything else.

I think it's good, it's a way to further legitimize the goals of OWS in the eyes of the critical public. Don't tell me people will complain about it being too directionless.. and then complain about its refinement into a potential political party.

edit on 11/15/2011 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

link   

Kalle Lasn watched Obama’s address and counts it as the high water mark for the man that he says, “has bitterly disappointed me. “The political left has been in the doldrums now for decades, but we came out and supported him in 2008,” Lasn said. “But since his famous speech in Cairo, he has turned out to be a gutless wonder, a wimp.”

It seems Mr. Lasn doesnt believe in Obama anymore. Hes not Liberal enough.

It also shows that this movement is highly liberal-leaning.

Many OWS supports claimed there was no leadership,no spokesman,but Kalle Lasn sure is taking his fair share of credit for it.

link   
reply to post by sonnny1

So will Anonymous threaten to bring down the internet if none of their people get elected or their platform gets ignored by the 98.5% who have never heard of OWS?

edit on 15-11-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by sonnny1

So will Anonymous threaten to bring down the internet if none of their people get elected or their platform gets ignored by the 98.5% who have never heard of OWS?

Got me there Slayer.

Like I said earlier,for a movement that claimed its Apolitical,the man that penned this movement,sure has the Liberal agenda in full swing.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Regardless of the list of choices it appears that it's generally the liberal and conservative parties that have any real clout.

There all puppets but I still vote.
If the Occupy party had a clear platform which I could agree with I'd consider voting for them.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   

reply to post by sonnny1

I know you're making a joke, but I'd bet 99% of the 99% are not internet hackers, and do not know how to. Try not to associate the actions of hackers too closely with the protestors themselves.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Drezden

I think it's good, it's a way to further legitimize the goals of OWS in the eyes of the critical public. Don't tell me people will complain about it being too directionless.. and then complain about it's refinement into a potential political party.

Define refinement?

I think the "movement" has a black eye on it,at the present moment.

If the movement turns ultra Liberal,do you believe it will absorb all those others,who might be there? (Independents,Republicans,etc....)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
Like I said earlier,for a movement that claimed its Apolitical,the man that penned this movement,sure has the Liberal agenda in full swing.

Well Drezden said they are all inclusive. They'll have NAZI's Communists, Democrats, Republicans, Libertarians etc etc etc.

We shall see how this one unfolds.

So much for the leaderless agenda. Now. The big question, Will the party be able to control people who have prided themselves on being leaderless AND will they be held accountable for the actions of their vast
memberships?

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
What I can't figure out is how the Adbuster group and the Anonymous hacker group managed to ignite people in North America to this type of correlated action in such a short period of time.

I haven't seen protests of this caliber by the north American public since the '60's. Everyone usually bitches but no protests. I've seen small pockets of paid lobbyists, but nothing like this.

Am I the only one who is suspicious of this?

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by gypsy heart

I think of "collectivist trap" when I think of this movement.

Adbusters has an agenda,that many were pointing out,and OWS supporters were saying,"it isnt so".

Now you are hearing it from the Horses mouth.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by gypsy heart
I haven't seen protests of this caliber by the north American public since the '60's. Everyone usually bitches but no protests. I've seen small pockets of paid lobbyists, but nothing like this.

Which protests have you been watching?

These Squatters are nowhere near the size and involvement of the 60s. Back then crowds breaking a few hundred thousand to several Million were the norm. So far the largest I've heard of in North America has been around 10 maybe 15 thousand.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by gypsy heart

What I can't figure out is how the Adbuster group and the Anonymous hacker group managed to ignite people in North America to this type of correlated action in such a short period of time.

Am I the only one who is suspicious of this?

No, youve got company. Just last night I was thinking about how widespread the movement is, yet I hadnt heard of them prior to OWS. Usually I would have seen some promotion over the summer, but not in this case...

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
OWS HAS NO FOUNDER, IT WAS FOUNDED BY ANONYMOUS, WHICH IS MADE UP OF ANONYMOUS PEOPLE

DUH

Please, stop spreading FEAR driven propaganda... Your thread title proves you are preaching a fallacy.

Time for revolution.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by gypsy heart

Which protests have you been watching?

These Squatters are nowhere near the size and involvement of the 60s. Back then crowds breaking a few hundred thousand to several Million were the norm. So far the largest I've heard of in North America has been around 10 maybe 15 thousand.

I am calling you out.

Thats a lie and you know it because you post on ATS...

We've seen 100,000+ on good days, those people didn't change their minds either, THEY GO TO SCHOOL AND HAVE JOBS so can't occupy all of the time.

Stop listening to the mainstream media goto - occupywallst.org...

It's a revolution.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Having read the OP’s statement, about the OWS starting to become a political movement and group, the following can be stated:

While it may seem like a good idea, the question must be asked, as to what its platform will be, in the political arena and what it hopes to do if and once it achieves political power. That question above all is very important, as it will either demonstrate its sincerity to follow through on its goals or be something else. Like all new potential political parties, it will have to have its trial by fire, as it were, and be prepared for the outcome of doing such.

However, that being stated, what we could be looking at is a depolarization of both political parties in the US, where they are taking on different names and are being associated with one of the 2 major political parties already established in the USA. This was seen with the formation of the Tea Party, many people believe them to be fundamentally the Republicans in new clothing, and thus if OWS forms a political party, they will be seen as the Democrats in new clothing. The only real way for either to get away from such, is to set themselves apart and try to attract voters from both bases of the Republicans and the Democrats to have a real shot at political power.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
There will be many who will claim to be founders of OWS, as its success of creating awareness on the state of affairs between corporations and govs is gaining attention around the world.

The true founders of OWS are none other than those guys and girls out there PEACEFULLY, whom are leaders by their right of free will as humans, regardless if they joined weeks ago or just this minute, braving the rain, cold, arrests, jailed, everything, protected only by their convictions and conscience, that the status quo cannot continue on, for the sake of their loved ones, the innocent next generations and the country.

They seek not to overthrow the gov, or end commerce permanently. They only seek that their leaders, whom are not morons, for village idiots don't get elected, discuss, debate and find rational and equitable solutions for the majority without neglecting the minority, and to never leave anyone behind.

Change will not materialize within living rooms. It takes courage and determinative actions to make a stand, to create that awareness on what's wrong, so that remedial actions by the powerful be undertaken, or they will be changed.....These...are the true founders of OWS as future generations will come to know, that had at least attempted peaceful change to correct leadership errors.
edit on 15-11-2011 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join