It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sick and tired of the saying "money doesn't buy happiness"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by neobludragon

The phrase more so applies to inner happiness. You can buy all you want, but if you have internal issues getting in the way of your own happiness, buying things won't get rid of those issues. Nothing can "buy" happiness. It's not a concrete item. Money can buy material goods. Happiness is a state of mind and it can only truly be found, not bought. It can "buy" temporary happiness, but not perpetual happiness. Yes I have money, but if I lost it all I would still be happy with who I am. If someone took away my ability to think, but I still had all my money, I would NOT be happy.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by neobludragon
I have no friends, no way of meeting people and ya know why? cause every month I have to spend over $500 on bills and food..... I"

$500 !! A month! Thats nothing. $300 just on week on food is nromal. Do you mean you have to or thats all you can afford to ?

anyway.......

I know poor people who are happier than rich people. You can't buy happiness. However, anyone who says they wouldn't like a million dollars is a liar. The poor hypocrites who say having money isn't better that not having it are insane.
If you have heaps you can help a lot of people. Having money can provide you all sorts of opportunity to do good. (A few years ago I gave away half of what I earned). But when you have money and don't share it you are the same person who has little and still can't give $100 away to someone else.

Money isn't the issue, the heart is. Money isn't evil, the heart is. The OWS protestors have sick hearts because they are riddled with jealousy and hypocrasy because if they were given money they would greedily accept it like anyone else - and they wouldn;t share it either.
edit on 15-11-2011 by daggyz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
money completely buys happiness. even if its just that money buys the things that makes you happy, by transitive property, money = happiness.

there are not many people who would not like more money.. at least not many in our modern, hustle and bustle society. its kind of sad but the world is so far into this rut i don't think we will ever get out. its crazy how almost the whole world runs based upon this information which used to be based upon rare metal and now its almost completely made up.

at any rate, i find my self constantly trying to think of ways to make more money because i know that if i did i could buy more of the things that i need and want which would make me happy.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Trust me, money doesnt buy $h1t worth having.I have a really close friend that won a million dollars on a scratch ticket. Some people would literally kill for that much money and to top it off he was only 23 yr.s when he won it. At the time he had been getting involved with some real low lifes and taking pain killers here and there among other things to cope with a depression he hadnt told anyone about. One day he got a phone call that his highschool sweet heart had drown. They werent still dating but she was the only person on earth he actually trusted and confided in with the real things going on with him. The next day he won the money. He was visibly broken for a week or two and then he started gradually taking more and more drugs, mostly percs and oxycontin, and drinking 24/7. He bought a luxury place and a brand new car. Partys every day and what he thought was an unlimited supply of drug money kept drug dealers and drug attics around constantly too. Myself and a few friends knew what he was doing. He was trying to fill a hole that he was drilling in himself more everyday over her death. It only took a couple years before the guy was broke from buying hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of drugs from uping his tolerence constantly with no money boundries to stop him, being ripped off and getting robbed. The police started showing up on a daily basis and he lost the place in the process. In this case my friend was literally trying to buy himself just a taste of happiness and ended up almost permanently destroying himself. Today hes been clean for almost 2 years and still getting used to the trail of bull# he left behind him. My point is that it took all that only to have nothing and start to build a life on something that is real. Nothing that money can buy but things like relationships and a strong will. Ive never seen him happier or thought that it was possible to recover from some of the crazier things hes done or been involved in but there he is, proof that the saying holds water. Since everything that happened he doesnt say a word about the past. No complaining about what was lost, nothing. If I didnt know him I would never know a thing about his crazy past or the crazy luck he threw away. Id just see another happy guy that has a thing or two figured out.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Irish Matador

Hi Neobludragon!!

I feel your pain but YOU are the only one who can change it. It doesnt come from outside, its comes from within. It is not easy but worth the struggle when you finally get there.
There are alot of people living on less than 500$ a month...not easy but they survive. Money will not give you true happiness. That is societys perception. Real friends do not care how much money you have.

Alot of posters have given you some helpful suggestions to move forward but you use the same excuses every time. Try and change the tune.

Please take a look at this video. Whenever I feel down or upset with my life , I love to look at this. It helps me realign and realise that if I put my mind to it there are NO obstacles in my way only ones I create myself through fear, Its makes me realise what I can achieve not what I cannot.

YOU CAN HAVE AS MANY FRIENDS AS YOU WANT. ITS UP TO YOU TO GET OFF YOUR SORRY ASS.

www.youtube.com...

I hope you enjoy it my friend.

J.

Is that Jose Thomas in your avatar?

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
To those who say, "money doesn't buy happiness", I say to them, "then you don't know where to shop".

Seriously, I'd find it very difficult to be UNHAPPY, if I had enough money to never worry about bills again. I make more now than I ever did, but like most, I still have to decide what I can and cannot afford...and I've been there where I really wonder how we're going to afford to keep a roof over our heads, etc. I think that kind of experience would really allow you to appreciate it if things changed and you didn't have to worry about those things anymore.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join