It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sick and tired of the saying "money doesn't buy happiness"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Raivan31

Oh, it's gone now, but I got slashed bro. Public school man, that's all I can say.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Being lonely and being broke are two entirely different sets of problems. You may use the excuse that you can't meet anybody without money, but that is not true. There are many things you can do that cost little to no money and will get you socializing with other people (for example: Meet-up groups for exercise or other activities, or volunteering locally at a church, or shelter (people or animal). All you need is maybe a ride and a willing and friendly heart. Lots of things can be done with a bad back, don't let that stop you. The holidays are coming up, so there will be plenty of opportunity to help and serve others.

I have been stone broke, and I have had half a million dollars in the bank all at once. The money was fun when it came to buying things I wanted, and it will certainly bring people out of the woodwork who claim to be your friend because you suddenly are rolling with cash, but in the end, it is very lonely. Your bills are paid, you got a nice ride, but you don't have real friends, you have users who always are asking to borrow money or have you buy things from them.

The best time of my life was when I was young, in college, and did fun things on the cheap. I made a few friends, enjoyed the experience, and don't remember spending more than $10 bucks at any time.

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that you are depressed and afraid of getting out there in case you get rejected. Don't be. All life is risk, but no risk, no living, and you'll be stuck behind the computer getting more sad by the day.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by neobludragon

It seems to me like you are trying to convince yourself of that, because if it does then its easy to just blame the system or bad luck or w/e it is that you want to put the blame on. You of course need to have certain things like basic needs for you to truly be happy but if you have access to internet and you can read and write i am going to assume those have been met.

Most of us seem to get very used to the good life and tend to get out of focus or lose perspective on the situation,
that i know of you are not in constant danger of being Kidnapped/murdered/raped/beaten, Eaten by wild animals, Starving to death, Slowly dying of disease or being sold into slavery... so I'm just going to assume that you are just being a spoiled brat (i don't care how old you are).

Happiness is not about how much you own but how content you are with what you already have, I'm not saying that you should be happy the way you are, if you want something you never had before then you have to do something you have never done before, you are not going to find meaningful relationships at Bars or parties and you need to remember that anything worth having is not easy to obtain so you HAVE to take risks.

No one here is going to convince you since you clearly aren't open to it, if all you are looking for is affirmation of your belief then you are going to find that 95% of the population agrees with you because like you they have all been conditioned to believe so.

What happens when you have the car, house and friends... what do you think happens then? have you seen what people with money do? they buy more trying to fill this hole that society tells you to fill with money and stuff when clearly it just keeps coming out the other end, if anything you are looking in the right direction and looking for people but even that is something that you will have a hard time with, once you do have the money to go out you will find that you don't like most people and the ones you do will have flaws. I have gad lots of contact with people that have a lot of money and run their own businesses from what i have seen they are usually so stressed out that they cant even relax the few hours they have to take a break.

Sorry for the rant but it makes me sad to think that people believe they can find happiness in material things when they could be having it for free, i don't really know much of your situation so sorry if i assume too much. keep looking for people that you can hang out with and be friends but don't expect to be happy just because you have paper that society tells you is worth something.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
Being lonely and being broke are two entirely different sets of problems. You may use the excuse that you can't meet anybody without money, but that is not true. There are many things you can do that cost little to no money and will get you socializing with other people (for example: Meet-up groups for exercise or other activities, or volunteering locally at a church, or shelter (people or animal). All you need is maybe a ride and a willing and friendly heart. Lots of things can be done with a bad back, don't let that stop you. The holidays are coming up, so there will be plenty of opportunity to help and serve others.

I have been stone broke, and I have had half a million dollars in the bank all at once. The money was fun when it came to buying things I wanted, and it will certainly bring people out of the woodwork who claim to be your friend because you suddenly are rolling with cash, but in the end, it is very lonely. Your bills are paid, you got a nice ride, but you don't have real friends, you have users who always are asking to borrow money or have you buy things from them.

The best time of my life was when I was young, in college, and did fun things on the cheap. I made a few friends, enjoyed the experience, and don't remember spending more than $10 bucks at any time.

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that you are depressed and afraid of getting out there in case you get rejected. Don't be. All life is risk, but no risk, no living, and you'll be stuck behind the computer getting more sad by the day.

Like I said, the only way I can go anywhere is giving my mom gas money, which i'd have to give her $10 for gas a day if I want her to drive me back and forth to places. So something like helping out at an animal shelter or doing a meet-up group is impossible.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Just gotta rise above it. Somehow, someway. You have two very useful things at your disposal. Time, and the internet.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by CesarO

It seems to me like you are trying to convince yourself of that, because if it does then its easy to just blame the system or bad luck or w/e it is that you want to put the blame on. You of course need to have certain things like basic needs for you to truly be happy but if you have access to internet and you can read and write i am going to assume those have been met.

Most of us seem to get very used to the good life and tend to get out of focus or lose perspective on the situation,
that i know of you are not in constant danger of being Kidnapped/murdered/raped/beaten, Eaten by wild animals, Starving to death, Slowly dying of disease or being sold into slavery... so I'm just going to assume that you are just being a spoiled brat (i don't care how old you are).

Happiness is not about how much you own but how content you are with what you already have, I'm not saying that you should be happy the way you are, if you want something you never had before then you have to do something you have never done before, you are not going to find meaningful relationships at Bars or parties and you need to remember that anything worth having is not easy to obtain so you HAVE to take risks.

No one here is going to convince you since you clearly aren't open to it, if all you are looking for is affirmation of your belief then you are going to find that 95% of the population agrees with you because like you they have all been conditioned to believe so.

What happens when you have the car, house and friends... what do you think happens then? have you seen what people with money do? they buy more trying to fill this hole that society tells you to fill with money and stuff when clearly it just keeps coming out the other end, if anything you are looking in the right direction and looking for people but even that is something that you will have a hard time with, once you do have the money to go out you will find that you don't like most people and the ones you do will have flaws. I have gad lots of contact with people that have a lot of money and run their own businesses from what i have seen they are usually so stressed out that they cant even relax the few hours they have to take a break.

Sorry for the rant but it makes me sad to think that people believe they can find happiness in material things when they could be having it for free, i don't really know much of your situation so sorry if i assume too much. keep looking for people that you can hang out with and be friends but don't expect to be happy just because you have paper that society tells you is worth something.

I don't mean to do a double post but this is not what I am doing, I don't want material things, I just want friends, wanna be able to hang out with people and go see things with them and not be lonely. If I wanted material things I wouldn't be saving every single ounce of money I get, well i'm trying to, but whenever I wanna go somewhere I have to give up my money for gas. Specially if I need to get food for my cat or something important. All the stuff I have I have had for over 6 years now. I never even buy new clothes, most of my clothes have holes in them. So no i'm not spoiled, pretty far from it.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Money doesn't buy happiness for people who have been conditioned to believe that money doesn't buy happiness.

For the people out there living a great life though, most of them tend to earn/spend, more money. The old saying is almost true, if you believe it will add to your happiness you are wrong. But if you think you can be happy while living like a slave, you are wrong too.

Unfortunately, the World, and people, were not built equally. No matter what someone tells you.

That isn't to say you can't find little things in your life to make you at least see the world in a positive light. Good things will come in turn.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
hmmm...today's time is kinda like a theme park...if you have the disney dollars you can go ride on all the rides and such...but after a while that's probably boring as hell, not just that...the people who are on the ride don't care about each other anyway, otherwise they wouldn't be on the ride in the first place...so...I'd rather be alone than with a bunch of ppl who would turn their back on you, soon as they noticed their social status drop because of you, or anybody else
edit on 14-11-2011 by dude69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Also responding bout the internet comment, I'd trade internet anyday to have a friend to hang out with. I'd trade away my TV to have a friend to hang out with. The only reason I have internet is cause I have no friends where I live, as I said in another post, my friends are all online, I don't want just online friends though. I mean what if those people were actually robots. Hell what if you guys are robots? I don't know this. All I see is text on a screen. I mean I do know you guys are real, but still... all it is is text, I can't even tell if you guys are crying, are happy, angry, theres no emotion in text. I wanna see emotions and no I don't mean to start posting pictures of your emotions either >.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by neobludragon
I have no friends, no way of meeting people and ya know why? cause every month I have to spend over $500 on bills and food. I never have enough money to go have fun and make friends. Sure I can go to a bar like maybe once or maybe twice but after that nope. Or maybe somewhere besides a bar. Not enough to keep going though. We all know that going to a place you've never been to before you can't meet people and expect them to be like "hey! lets hang out at your house." Well I don't know maybe there are people like that but I don't wanna take that chance and wind up going home with not meeting anyone and having no money and wind up ranting bout how i'm depressed again. So how is it that people say "money doesn't buy happiness" when it clearly does. I mean nothing is free, transportation is never free. Sure you can walk or ride a bike, but what about those of us who have bad backs? I know I have a bad back so I definitely can't walk 5 miles to go meet people at a bar or something. Reason I say bar is cause that's where most adults go to unwind at least that's what is portrayed on TV and what I've been told. So seriously how can I be happy when I have no way to go meet people. I'm seriously not one for taking chances and being shot down. I have in the past and I always got shot down so I've grown tired of it. Do I just continue being depressed as I sit here in front of a computer with my only friends being in other countries/states who are exactly like me? I guess so... Til someone can prove me wrong. I stand by my statement that "money does buy happiness"

Hey, money does not buy happiness... I'm learning now..

I lost my job due to the economy, things are falling apart all around me, but times are only as bad as you let them be. Always remember you are the master of your path in life,

Even when lifes tides are low, the water is still there. To reach the water in our modern society it takes extra effort, those who sit are left high and dry. So if your sitting and waiting for a break, it will not come. You must seek the path you wish, the results will surprise you.

"Our thoughts and actions are based on perception of reality"

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiraCity

I have no friends, no way of meeting people and ya know why? cause every month I have to spend over $500 on bills and food. I never have enough money to go have fun and make friends. Sure I can go to a bar like maybe once or maybe twice but after that nope. Or maybe somewhere besides a bar. Not enough to keep going though. We all know that going to a place you've never been to before you can't meet people and expect them to be like "hey! lets hang out at your house." Well I don't know maybe there are people like that but I don't wanna take that chance and wind up going home with not meeting anyone and having no money and wind up ranting bout how i'm depressed again. So how is it that people say "money doesn't buy happiness" when it clearly does. I mean nothing is free, transportation is never free. Sure you can walk or ride a bike, but what about those of us who have bad backs? I know I have a bad back so I definitely can't walk 5 miles to go meet people at a bar or something. Reason I say bar is cause that's where most adults go to unwind at least that's what is portrayed on TV and what I've been told. So seriously how can I be happy when I have no way to go meet people. I'm seriously not one for taking chances and being shot down. I have in the past and I always got shot down so I've grown tired of it. Do I just continue being depressed as I sit here in front of a computer with my only friends being in other countries/states who are exactly like me? I guess so... Til someone can prove me wrong. I stand by my statement that "money does buy happiness"

Hey, money does not buy happiness... I'm learning now..

I lost my job due to the economy, things are falling apart all around me, but times are only as bad as you let them be. Always remember you are the master of your path in life,

Even when lifes tides are low, the water is still there. To reach the water in our modern society it takes extra effort, those who sit are left high and dry. So if your sitting and waiting for a break, it will not come. You must seek the path you wish, the results will surprise you.

"Our thoughts and actions are based on perception of reality"

Maybe money isn't buying your happiness right now but it did buy your happiness. Whatever you have now you didn't just get for free. You just are content with what you have cause you got it while you did have money. So yes money did buy your happiness. I don't know exactly what you have but whatever it is you got with money. See what I want is a friend, a friend that I can actually see in person and not just see text on a screen. Only way I can get that though is with money because i'd have to give my mom gas money to drive me places. So yes money does buy happiness.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

No money does not... My father lost everything when he was a kid living in Venezuela during all of the rebellions, many of his friends where shot, he was struggling with my grandmother and grandfather to just get by. Their car was stolen at gunpoint, then flipped by a group of men, and burned. They stayed in a small apartment, laid the mattresses on the windows for stray bullets, some passed through but none hit him or his family... through all this they had NO money AT ALL.. but they where still happy to have each other. If people can be even the slightest bit happy under these conditions, why cant you be happy under your conditions. you are FAR better off then many people in the world. be thankful for what you have...

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

No money does not... My father lost everything when he was a kid living in Venezuela during all of the rebellions, many of his friends where shot, he was struggling with my grandmother and grandfather to just get by. Their car was stolen at gunpoint, then flipped by a group of men, and burned. They stayed in a small apartment, laid the mattresses on the windows for stray bullets, some passed through but none hit him or his family... through all this they had NO money AT ALL.. but they where still happy to have each other. If people can be even the slightest bit happy under these conditions, why cant you be happy under your conditions. you are FAR better off then many people in the world. be thankful for what you have...
I wouldn't mind something like that happening to me, at least my life wouldn't be boring then and I wouldn't be on here talking to anyone. Like I said, I'd give up my internet for a friend, but chances of that happening are slim to none. So no i'm not thankful for having this, cause it just makes me realize more how depressing my life is.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

I wouldn't mind something like that happening to me, at least my life wouldn't be boring then and I wouldn't be on here talking to anyone. Like I said, I'd give up my internet for a friend, but chances of that happening are slim to none. So no i'm not thankful for having this, cause it just makes me realize more how depressing my life is.

You mean you would rather see you life crumble, see your friends shot, and worry if your family is going to be alive at the end of the day?

Your clearly young, life gets better, don't let temporary circumstances ruin a lifetime of potential. I've seen people ruin their lives over the tiniest of issues.

Remember... A person is not defined by how they handle themselves when times are good, but rather how well they do when times are bad. Everyone stumbles in life, not everyone gets back up. I'm telling you right now if you commit to making things better and you work hard, your issues will melt away.. I say this out of experience..

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

You mean you would rather see you life crumble, see your friends shot, and worry if your family is going to be alive at the end of the day?

Your clearly young, life gets better, don't let temporary circumstances ruin a lifetime of potential. I've seen people ruin their lives over the tiniest of issues.

Remember... A person is not defined by how they handle themselves when times are good, but rather how well they do when times are bad. Everyone stumbles in life, not everyone gets back up. I'm telling you right now if you commit to making things better and you work hard, your issues will melt away.. I say this out of experience..

Its better then the same old boring life I have right now.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   

So change it!!

your are the only one in life who can control your path.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

So change it!!

your are the only one in life who can control your path.

Have no money to change it. Everything I want requires money. Well I really only want to have a friend I can hang out with, but it still requires having money. No one is willing to drive to meet someone they don't even know and waste money on gas and the only way I can go meet them is if like I said I give my mom $10 gas money.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

find a job, make money, if you already have a job, find a better job. if you have any talents, use them to you advantage, problem solved.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

That's no good. You'd be wasting a life that your soul will never get again. Try connecting with your inner self and find your inner happiness.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   

find a job, make money, if you already have a job, find a better job. if you have any talents, use them to you advantage, problem solved.

Have no talents, and i'm not gonna talk about jobs.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join