It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sick and tired of the saying "money doesn't buy happiness"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I have no friends, no way of meeting people and ya know why? cause every month I have to spend over $500 on bills and food. I never have enough money to go have fun and make friends. Sure I can go to a bar like maybe once or maybe twice but after that nope. Or maybe somewhere besides a bar. Not enough to keep going though. We all know that going to a place you've never been to before you can't meet people and expect them to be like "hey! lets hang out at your house." Well I don't know maybe there are people like that but I don't wanna take that chance and wind up going home with not meeting anyone and having no money and wind up ranting bout how i'm depressed again. So how is it that people say "money doesn't buy happiness" when it clearly does. I mean nothing is free, transportation is never free. Sure you can walk or ride a bike, but what about those of us who have bad backs? I know I have a bad back so I definitely can't walk 5 miles to go meet people at a bar or something. Reason I say bar is cause that's where most adults go to unwind at least that's what is portrayed on TV and what I've been told. So seriously how can I be happy when I have no way to go meet people. I'm seriously not one for taking chances and being shot down. I have in the past and I always got shot down so I've grown tired of it. Do I just continue being depressed as I sit here in front of a computer with my only friends being in other countries/states who are exactly like me? I guess so... Til someone can prove me wrong. I stand by my statement that "money does buy happiness"

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by neobludragon

It doesn't, but it helps.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MegasAlexandros

How? like I said i sit here day to day depressed cause no real life contact with actual people besides the people I live with, which if I ever moved out of my moms house I'd have no one. I'd probably wind up committing suicide.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Well, more like it buys the means. I understand that people who have great gobs of money have the same kinds of problems the rest of us do. Poor babies....

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
It does not buy you happiness, but it does buy you things that make you happy

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Right, what he said. It does help to be able to go out and enjoy life. I get to every 3-4 months and I enjoy it. I definitely feel the yoke of burden when I do just barely scrape by. But then again I am no longer single and m family is willing to do things that don't cost money (most of the time).

I feel for you though was that way for close to a decade. (not the bad back, just no money and no friends)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
It does buy happiness, Daniel Tosh gives a good example here...

At 8:50

For those who can't watch the video, it's the wave runner joke.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips
It does not buy you happiness, but it does buy you things that make you happy

same thing, if it buys you things that makes you happy, then its money that is making you happy.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Yeah, money can buy happiness.

But look, you shouldn't be so depressed about it.
You are not alone.
I like many others simply barely make enough money to make ends meet.

For me, it takes lots of work. Working round the clock, doing my 9 - 5, plus any other odd jobs, and things I can do to make extra cash, to pay for bills and food and gas.

I am always happy.

Sometimes just having the bare minimum is great. For 7 years I was in debt for thousands, with absolutely nothing. Living in my broke down probe. Now I am $850 away from being debt free, and I have a jeep grand cherokee with 250k on it, and live in a 12 x 12 room. EDIT: Also I lost my license in that time, and I am a mechanic
I have had my DL for one month now

And I couldn't be happier.

I don't really have friends either. I have a room mate, and a boss.

You wanna be my friend?

edit on 14-11-2011 by MoosKept240 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

I don't know what to say man. I've been where you are now. In a sense it is true that money doesn't buy you happiness, it does help you to find it though.

Listen, anytime you wanna talk don't hesitate to message me, we are all on this ship together it's just that some are on higher decks with a better view.

This is what i done when i was alone and broke; I tried to learn. I absorbed everything that i could. I contacted people via the internet that seemed to need help and i done my best to help where i could. I spent my time trying to be for others what i wanted others to be for me.

Don't lose hope, life will throw you a bone when you least expect it.
Wise men in the past would go for years at a time living as hermits in order to better think and learn about themselves, to grow as people and become better.
This situation is not of your choosing but you can make it your own.

I honestly wish i could do more to help, i sincerley do. I know just how it feels.

If you live near nature then go outside and be a part of it. you don't need to go far or move fast, you'd only miss what is out there to see.
If you live in the city then go out and watch people, it can be pretty amazing to just sit and watch.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MoosKept240
Yeah, money can buy happiness.

But look, you shouldn't be so depressed about it.
You are not alone.
I like many others simply barely make enough money to make ends meet.

For me, it takes lots of work. Working round the clock, doing my 9 - 5, plus any other odd jobs, and things I can do to make extra cash, to pay for bills and food and gas.

I am always happy.

Sometimes just having the bare minimum is great. For 7 years I was in debt for thousands, with absolutely nothing. Living in my broke down probe. Now I am $850 away from being debt free, and I have a jeep grand cherokee with 250k on it, and live in a 12 x 12 room. EDIT: Also I lost my license in that time, and I am a mechanic
I have had my DL for one month now

And I couldn't be happier.

I don't really have friends either. I have a room mate, and a boss.

You wanna be my friend?

edit on 14-11-2011 by MoosKept240 because: (no reason given)

I don't even know how to drive, my only friends are my mom and brother. My brother is in the same wagon as me except he doesn't mind the loneliness. Yea sure my mom can drive me places but guess what I gotta give her gas money to drive me places specially since her truck is always on E. I literally never leave my house cause of gas prices and like I said my bad back. So I sit here in front of my computer wasting away getting more and more depressed.
edit on 14-11-2011 by neobludragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Sounds like your suffering from a case of "no motivation." Go out and do something crazy! It doesn't have to be productive. Hell, go streak through your local mall! It'd be hilarious!

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MegasAlexandros

Sounds like your suffering from a case of "no motivation." Go out and do something crazy! It doesn't have to be productive. Hell, go streak through your local mall! It'd be hilarious!
Once again, requires money to do this, money I don't have.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

No it doesn't. Walk to an area with lots of people and just talk. Trust me, it works.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

No it doesn't. Walk to an area with lots of people and just talk. Trust me, it works.
Bad back. As stated in original post.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by neobludragon

I don't even know how to drive, my only friends are my mom and brother. My brother is in the same wagon as me except he doesn't mind the loneliness. Yea sure my mom can drive me places but guess what I gotta give her gas money to drive me places specially since her truck is always on E. I literally never leave my house cause of gas prices and like I said my bad back. So I sit here in front of my computer wasting away getting more and more depressed.

You just have to work through it. I really do understand how low it feels to have no money and what seems like no hope. Going to sleep at night with no clue how you will eat the next day. You just can't give up. Be as happy as you can be, and never stop trying.

Things may not always work out, but sometimes things will. And those things are why I try.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

I agree with this guy. It works.

Off topic: What did you do to your eye? i have to know because it's been bothering me for the past few days. (:

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

My cousin in Burma has muscular dystrophy, so he crawls. If you have a bad back I'll make you some sort of wheelchair thing. I'd even let you stay at my place. Just ask man.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by MoosKept240

Originally posted by neobludragon

You just have to work through it. I really do understand how low it feels to have no money and what seems like no hope. Going to sleep at night with no clue how you will eat the next day. You just can't give up. Be as happy as you can be, and never stop trying.

Things may not always work out, but sometimes things will. And those things are why I try.

I do know what is gonna happen tomorrow though. I'll wake up, go on my computer, and go onto a chat program called IMVU and sit alone in a room, or talk to a person who lives in Texas that i'll probably never actually meet in person. Then i'll go eat when ever I get hungry use the bathroom like 2 or 3 times. Then go to sleep around 1 am then do it all again the next day. Its never different and there is nothing that will make it any different. Its been like this for bout a year and a half now, and theres no hope of it changing.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
happiness is something you find without looking for it. start jogging or bike riding to
get in better shape, and while you do that think about some hobbie or interest you'd
be able to pursue that dosn't cost anything, or volenteer work. and just keep going.
If you really have trouble leaving the house you can think about meds or something.
lot's of info on the net.
I hope this helps.. alot of us have been were you are.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join