It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I Believe Scientist Are Looking In The Wrong Places For Atlantis

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
According to the legend of Atlantis, it was Solon who heard it from the Egyptians. I think therefore that the search should begin with Egyptian sources. Too often we hear of Thera, which was well known to the Greeks as well as the Pillars of Hercules. Why do they insist on looking at Greek sources when the story obviously comes from Egypt?

So I propose looking for Egyptian sources and the main point of where the location was beyond the Pillars of Hercules. The Greeks are the ones who called Gibraltar that name, but suppose for a moment it was not the place the Egyptians were talking about. So here is what I think...

Hercules was the Romanized name for Heracles as the Greeks knew him, but he was known as Heryshaf to the Egyptians.

In Egyptian mythology, Heryshaf, or Hershef, (Egyptian Ḥry-š=f "He who is on his lake"), transcribed in Greek as Harsaphes (Ἁρσαφής) was an ancient ram-god whose cult was centered in Herakleopolis Magna (now Ihnasiyyah al-Madinah). He was identified with Ra and Osiris in Egyptian mythology, and to Heracles in Greek mythology. The identification with Heracles may be related to the fact that in later times his name was sometimes reanalysed as Ḥry-šf.t "He who is over strength." One of his titles was “Ruler of the Riverbanks.” Heryshaf was a creator and fertility god who was born from the primeval waters. He was pictured as a man with the head of a ram, or as a ram.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Egyptian city identified with him is called Ihnasiyyah al-Madinah

upload.wikimedia.org...

And because he is associated with Ra and Osiris, could it be the temple of Osiris may be the pillars they were referring to? And what is even more interesting is that at the Temple of Osiris at Abydos is the site of the pharoah's helicopter.

Could it be the pharaoh's helicopter stele at Abydos is a retelling of the technology of Atlantis? And because Atlantis is the Greek name, what could the Egyptian name be for it? Perhaps it is not in the Mediterranean Sea at all, it could be part of the Indian Ocean? Perhaps it was merely a misunderstanding of the interpreters of the ancient legend. Look for Egyptian sources, that is where the story originates.
edit on 11/14/2011 by WarminIndy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I would say that you're on the right track, but should search for further clues in the Vedas.

There's a ton a info here on ATS about the Indus Vally and the city of Krishna and that huge wall they found about 30 miles off the coast of eastern India......

Just saying.

Super interesting topic, will be followng this thread.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Interesting theory, OP. However, I tend to go with Graham Hancock's theory in "Fingerprints of The Gods". His theory is that Atlantis, due to Earth crust displacement, is now covered in ice as the continent of Antarctica.

I guess if the ice keeps melting, we'll find out.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
I would say that you're on the right track, but should search for further clues in the Vedas.

There's a ton a info here on ATS about the Indus Vally and the city of Krishna and that huge wall they found about 30 miles off the coast of eastern India......

Just saying.

Super interesting topic, will be followng this thread.

I will keep looking. It just seemed way too convenient to keep saying it was in the islands the Greeks were familiar with. If it was familiar to the Greeks, then the Greeks should have known about it.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
Interesting theory, OP. However, I tend to go with Graham Hancock's theory in "Fingerprints of The Gods". His theory is that Atlantis, due to Earth crust displacement, is now covered in ice as the continent of Antarctica.

I guess if the ice keeps melting, we'll find out.

That is something to think about, so we have to find reference from the Egyptians about that.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

edit on 14-11-2011 by darkredfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Just want to add a little to your thread which i thing is important..

The story of Atlantis comes from Plato.. It is from the timeaeus and critias. This claims to tell the true story of the fall of Atlantis.
People are generally divided between those who see the description as complete fiction invented from scratch, and those that believe Plato was passing on a genuinely historic tradition.

Plato insisted repeatedly that the story of Atlantis was a certainty, and explained that he got hold of the story by way of his ancestor Solon (six generations before) Who picked up an account from temple-priests in Sais, Egypt.

It is also worth noting that an obscure writer called Hellanicus is known to have written a work called Atlantis a century before.. unfortunately only a few lines of that book survived..

personally I sit on the fence with the whole Atlantis thing.. It is entirely possible although it lacks any kind of credible evidence.. If it is out there, i hope we do find it one day..

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Here's a link to an epic thread by Zorgon, on the city of Dwarka, India and the lost city under the sea. Great read!
Dwarka, India 12,000 Year Old City of Lord Krishna Found,

Within the thread are numerous links to sources on Lemuria and Atlantis theories.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
i can't remember where now but i was watching some documentary that some thread here on ATS linked me to about the great pyramids. well...the guy was talking about that helicopter symbol. he said that it's not a helicopter. it was the sign for 2 of their "great" kings...a father and a son...combined.

he showed each of their symbols and then showed them overlaid and it made that symbol. i know that's very vague (no king names, no program name) but it was a documentary that had to do with the ancient pyramids and common misconceptions and misconstrued archeological "facts" or complete misinterpretations of hieroglyphs that have now been figured out and corrected.

if you buy me a moon pie and an RC cola i'll go find that video fur ya...

edit on 11/14/11 by ICEKOHLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I thought Stargate Command had it parked off the California coast. Who knows?

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ICEKOHLD
i can't remember where now but i was watching some documentary that some thread here on ATS linked me to about the great pyramids. well...the guy was talking about that helicopter symbol. he said that it's not a helicopter. it was the sign for 2 of their "great" kings...a father and a son...combined.

he showed each of their symbols and then showed them overlaid and it made that symbol. i know that's very vague (no king names, no program name) but it was a documentary that had to do with the ancient pyramids and common misconceptions and misconstrued archeological "facts" or complete misinterpretations of hieroglyphs that have now been figured out and corrected.

if you buy me a moon pie and an RC cola i'll go find that video fur ya...

Im not saying its true.. but i believe this is what your speaking of..

link

actually i dont think it is what your talking about... i think its something completely different..
edit on 14/11/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

thank you sir. that was what he was talking about. it was some video i saw but he was saying the same thing. thanks again. now i don't feel so alone!

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

The glyphs are a result of both erosion of the stone surface (evident elsewhere in the temple) and the process of filling in and re-carving the stone to replace some of the original hieroglyphics. The technical term for such a surface that has been written on more than once is a palimpsest. The usurping and modifying of inscriptions was common in ancient Egypt throughout its history. The Abydos glyph was modified at least once in antiquity, and perhaps twice. Some of the filling has fallen out in places where the older and the newer inscriptions overlap, and the result is unique and odd-looking.

Read more: www.uforesearchnetwork.proboards.com...

"The text is part of the titulary of Ramesses II and can be translated as "The one of the Two Ladies, who suppresses the nine foreign countries." This replaces the royal titulary of Seti I that was originally carved into the stone. More technically, the actual "helicopter" seems to be a portion of the psd.t sign and the X3s.t sign on top of each other, with portions missing. An apparent change in scale also mucks things up.

Read more: www.uforesearchnetwork.proboards.com...
"

it was along these lines. yes.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I was hoping I'd open this thread and there would be one post that said "Because they're idiots." (/thread)

Now I have to read...

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ICEKOHLD

A moon pie and a RC cola?
Really,you must be as old as I am and from the deep south.
That was a main staple back in the day.
Sorry to be off topic.

I also remember seeing something about that helicopter and that it was two different layers of glyphs that had eroded.

edit on 14-11-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

Nevermind,you beat me to it.

edit on 14-11-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
if atlantis existed where are the remains? i read they had outposts in S. America and Asia and traded with other civilizations, even battled with Athens and Egypt so where is the proof of Atlantis? Written language, monuments, the fabled orichalcum that everyone talks about but has never seen....

Atlantis is just a fictional tale told by Plato.maybe a metaphor that was misinterpreted (lack of morals).Just like Mu, a work of fiction and a hoax.
edit on 14-11-2011 by Picollo30 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-11-2011 by Picollo30 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
The first to write of Atlantis was Solon, Plato's ancestor. Plato inherited the tale from him and then set off in pursuit of it, perhaps to complete it. He traveled to Egypt and heard an earful from Monetho, whether this was the same tale Solon heard or not is not known, whether Solon was actually referring to Tarantalus in Lydia is not known but probable. My guess is that when Plato got to Egypt the Egyptian priest could only tell him tales of the sea peoples and their war with Ramses III, which Plato took to be the Atlantians. (Plato may have even gotten the name "Atlantis" from "Tarantulus").

I think the historical city and peoples that supplied the fuel for Plato's Atlantis tales are those of Tartessos/Tarshish. They warred with Egypt as well as the Hittites. There city lay on the coastline just past the "Pillars of Hercules", along the Atlantic coast of Spain.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

I was listening to a guy yesterday who believes he has found it. but with that I will have to gather some sources for you to have a squiz at. A greek Island is the home of Atlantis according to his theory.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Picollo30

I cant remember the name of the island but archaeologists found a city buried under volcanic ash on one of the greek islands. the dug straight through the roofs of one of the houses underneath. With this volcano came a 100ft tsnami which wiped out another island and it is said this is a fact simply because sea shells have been found in the mountains.

I cant tell you this was Atlantis, but all the evidence that the guy provides makes it a possibility. I cant get the sources right now but when I get the time I will and yous can decide for yourselves if you havent heard of it before of course.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redevilfan09
reply to post by Picollo30

I cant remember the name of the island but archaeologists found a city buried under volcanic ash on one of the greek islands. the dug straight through the roofs of one of the houses underneath. With this volcano came a 100ft tsnami which wiped out another island and it is said this is a fact simply because sea shells have been found in the mountains.

I cant tell you this was Atlantis, but all the evidence that the guy provides makes it a possibility. I cant get the sources right now but when I get the time I will and yous can decide for yourselves if you havent heard of it before of course.

You are thinking of Thera which is on the island of Santorini I do believe and the island hit was Crete and the suffers were the Minoan civilization.

I would agree with Blackmarketeer's comments; Plato took a number of myths and stories, some based on fact, incorporated Greek memories of the Minoans, the Mycenaen age, etc and used it for a discussion on political matters. It's a story

<<   2  3  4 >>

join