It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is really happening with Hurricane Frances?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Judging by some of the comments I have seen I know some of you are just dying to talk about this.

What is really happening with Hurricane Frances?

I find it odd that Hurricane Frances is falling apart the way it is with no visible evidence of sheer outside of a disrupted system. Usually you spot a signature on satellite loops that show a crossing wind causing sheer. This is usually cloud tops being blown off to the side. I don't see such evidence on the images.

This happened a few years back as well with Floyd. Here you have a robust storm and all the sudden it starts to weaken unexpectedly. Hurricane Hugo was a monster and weakened a great deal as it approached Florida. It only regained its strength and became a cat 4 again after it moved away from Florida. Hurricane David was a major killer in the islands. Was barely a hurricane at landfall in Brevard County. Erin as well was just barely a Hurricane.

Ok. So what is the conspiracy? Isn't it odd that these unexpected weakening happens every time a st orm threatens the Space Center? The space coast has been hit by many tropical storms but only a few hurricanes and all of them weak. This despite being in an area with very warm waters. The Bahama islands are too small to cause this kind of disruption. So what could it be? Why is it that despite having an environment favorable for development that every storm to approach the space coast of Florida weakens?

Any theories on this?

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Localized temperature drop in the air or the storm getting into a stream of cooler water would certainly sap it's strength. IF something like HAARP was used I would expect the strom to change course, not dissapate.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
According to sea surface temperature maps there is an abundance of warm water for the storm to feed off of.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   

According to sea surface temperature maps there is an abundance of warm water for the storm to feed off of.

Beats me then. Unless we can't get a picture of the conditions directly beneath the storm. As a test of weather prediction for the Atlanta Olympiad meteorologists set up probes every few miles with in the Atlanta area and were then able to predict weather with amazing accuracy. I don't know if we have or can do that with Frances.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
The poster may have been watching to much SciFi or he may have something. I wondered the same tihing after reviewing the paths of hurricanes that have inflicted there wrath upon the shores of Flordia.
If it were possible to increase or decrease pressure within the tropical depression you could either increase/decrease the wind intensity of the storm mass. The direction of its travel could also be altered.
Is weather modification possible with our known technology? Your guess is as good as mine.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I have an idea but its kind of crazy, but so is this thread
. If they did control the weather they might do it to weaken the storm a bit but not change direction to scare people into buying up all supplies and gasoline in the state. Then the economy of the state is shot up and the storm is weak enough to cause a lot less damage then it would have if it was cat5. but thats just a crazy idea lol

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Well I live in Miami and noticed the paths these hurricanes are taken especially now where it seems there taking pothshots at Florida with them but they all have crossed over Cuba even the one after Ivan now Called Jeane also coming at us again also crosses Cuba. 4 times in 1 season how is that possible?

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I am a life long Brevard county, FL resident and the old timers say there is some Native legend about this area, Cape Caneveral, that for some reason it keeps away bad storms and weakens others when they get here. Some also say that legend is one of the big reasons why the cape has the space center.

A scientific guess is this lattitude(just south of 30N) is a transitional place from the tropics to the mid-lattitudes so when the storms make it here they have to change a little to adjust to the different weather enviroment they're moving into.

Weather modification has been done on small scales, i.e. seeding clouds for rain. It definatly is not with out reason that with out technology we could try to break down the eye wall, where the strongest winds of these things are located. Maybe that explains why Francis at one time had a gigantic eye like feature, they "attacked" the eyewall over and over again and it eventually found balance as a huge donut like hole.

new topics

top topics

join