It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skyrim - First Impression?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by gandhi
reply to post by FreeSpeaker

Haha right on. I do need a new one by the "sounds" of it(haha), although this one can run it on high graphics, the fps rate is something like 25, which is alright but choppy enough to ruin such a game as Skyrim.

Well its still better than either console but ya, a 9 series card is a little old now. You should be able to grab a gtx260 for less than $100 these days. I sold my gtx285 for $80 a while ago before my upgrade so the price isn't too bad these days.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I'm playing on the XBOX360. So far the lag times haven't been too bad.
Might install on the hard drive though.

I've played all of the Elder Scrolls games, and I have to say this one might be the best.
I'm digging the inventory system, and the Favorites. I like being able to quickly switch between
equipment "sets".

I only have about 4 hours of game play so far. Was really busy this weekend. I see a lot of Skyrim in
my future though!

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeSpeaker

I gotta say the load times on consoles are terrible and I am glad that I have a good pc. My friend, on his Xbox, is already complaining.

So what do my fellow adventurers think?
edit on 14-11-2011 by FreeSpeaker because: (no reason given)

I can't speak for the Xbox, but the loading times on my Sony aren't anything to complain about. I think I only noticed it once coming out of Dragonreach and it was about 10 seconds or so. Other than that, nothing noticeable.

First impressions? Definitely one of my all-time favorite games already. My few complaints are all minor and none of them anywhere near game-breaking.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

I can't speak for the Xbox, but the loading times on my Sony aren't anything to complain about. I think I only noticed it once coming out of Dragonreach and it was about 10 seconds or so. Other than that, nothing noticeable.

First impressions? Definitely one of my all-time favorite games already. My few complaints are all minor and none of them anywhere near game-breaking.

My friend runs in and out of towns and the places inside soo much I guess all those six-ten second loads add up.

He geeked out pretty hard and probably has 20+ hours in already, not that I didn't do the same
, soo i guess the loading my get to you. My SSD hard drive makes loads about two seconds so I can't complain.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Positive Points:

1) Great game world, fantastic graphics & scenery.
2) dragons
3) Great storyline (so far)
4) LOVE the music (as always for an Elder Scrolls game)

Negative Points:

1) They still haven't quite sorted out character shadows. The faces of characters are often quite dark on the unlit side, even when they're outdoors in full sun. It's a petty complaint, but it bugs me.
2) Some of the textures look pretty low-res. For example, the ground textures when you first arrive in Skyrim (prior to the arrival of... um... "it" (so that I don't spoil anything)) are horrific.
3) I wish they'd hired Team Bondi to do their character faces. Bethesda just aren't good at humans.
4) I haven't had enough time to play it obssessively yet.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Awen24
Negative Points:

1) They still haven't quite sorted out character shadows. The faces of characters are often quite dark on the unlit side, even when they're outdoors in full sun. It's a petty complaint, but it bugs me.
2) Some of the textures look pretty low-res. For example, the ground textures when you first arrive in Skyrim (prior to the arrival of... um... "it" (so that I don't spoil anything)) are horrific.
3) I wish they'd hired Team Bondi to do their character faces. Bethesda just aren't good at humans.
4) I haven't had enough time to play it obssessively yet.

What are you playing on? Pc or console?

The shadows need a little work. Even on my maxed out pc, the shadows are a little off. Thats the problem when they have to make games for all platforms. My pc is 10x better than a console but the base architecture of games must work for the consoles so it really limits how well pc hardware can push it.

I personlly turned down the shadows and that fixed it for me. Shadows are nice but wont break the game for me. Im hoping a patch will fix the shadow and texture issues in the future.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I'll just leave this here.

GOTY!!!

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeSpeaker
What are you playing on? Pc or console?

The shadows need a little work. Even on my maxed out pc, the shadows are a little off. Thats the problem when they have to make games for all platforms. My pc is 10x better than a console but the base architecture of games must work for the consoles so it really limits how well pc hardware can push it.

I personlly turned down the shadows and that fixed it for me. Shadows are nice but wont break the game for me. Im hoping a patch will fix the shadow and texture issues in the future.

Yeah, likewise, PC.
I'm maxed out too. The problem for me is... I think the shadows are perfect on buildings and trees etc., but just not on humans. I wouldn't count on a patch to fix that either - the same problem was there in Oblivion and never fixed. It was either self-shadows on, or off... there was no happy medium.

Anyway. Like I said, it's really a pretty minor complaint. I can turn it off and live without it. I just feel like I shouldn't have to

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by thatonedude

WTF?????????
Well, thats one way to do it.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

WTF?????????
reply to post by FreeSpeaker

Bethesda soft works at it's best right there.
I've been an Elder Scrolls fan for a long time so i'm used to the bugs and glitches but, wow just wow.
I hope they don't try and say it's an actual game play mechanic.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Its hard to complain because, bugs or not, nobody else gives us a expansive world like Bethesada. That has to be the "best" glitch I have ever seen.

Can't wait to go home and try it.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I just read on IGN that Skyrim is out selling COD on steam.

I knew it would be popular but not to that degree. Guess I should have got the point when I stood in line with hundreds of people last thursday to pick it up. The doors were open for 15 minutes before the guy came outside and said all walk up sales copies were gone, all platforms, and only pre-orders were left. Thank goodness I pre-ordered.
edit on 14-11-2011 by FreeSpeaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
2 thoughts:
I believe not having classes and birth-signs might limit replay value.

For some reason my character cannot hear someone I am looking directly at. A slight look to the left or right its fine. Maybe an issue with my sound card (been acting up)

Otherwise far better than ES4 and as good (or almost as good) as ES3

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
These games have always played way better on PC, but i have been playing this on PS3 and it seems to keep up. I think i killed 2 360s playing oblivion before i got the hint.

Love the interactions you can make on this one and i feel like i dont have to save every 2 seconds for fear of the game locking up. I have already played about 30 hours and i still feel like i have barely started to get into the game. If they ever make a gaming system that can really play the game this would definately be up there in my top games of all time.

Heres how i deal with the world of gaming:
internet on my laptop
desktop for online games
ps3 for console games worth playing
xbox for exclusive games
wii for exclusive games

if someone ever got this # together i wouldnt mind paying over a grand for a winner...

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by SlyingFaucers
Heres how i deal with the world of gaming:
internet on my laptop
desktop for online games
ps3 for console games worth playing
xbox for exclusive games
wii for exclusive games

Here's how I deal with the world of gaming.
laptop for a doorstop
desktop for everything
ps3 for what I can't emulate
xbox??lol
wii for my three year old so he leaves me alone

Also, skyrim is a solid game. After I take my nostalgia goggles off I see it for what it is, oblivian 1.5. If you aren't playing skyrim on pc then you're not playing skyrim.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   

OMG that clip is HILARIOUS! I laughed so hard that both cats came to see if I was okay.

Did you make that movie? How?

How about an iron cauldron over the head of the Stormcloak who gets decapitated on your first entry into Solitude? If you can't get close enough to do that or save him then, how about rolling the head all the way up to the Blue Palace and dropping it in that newly widowed (King's wife) lap? (a la Godfather movie and horse's head)

PC version - I give it a ZERO on a 1-10 scale (10 being the best) interface.

Other than the nintendo kiddy interface menu glitches, and repeated plots from Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion, AND the absolute BLEAKNESS of Bleak Caverns (that first dungeon put me to sleep!) AND not having at least one safe chest to start the game with - I think all the other places I've seen are meticulously decorated ... a LOT of work went into building all these "sets". I know how much work it takes to build and script each area and the amount of detail and work in some of the places is awesome.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Best RPG ever made by Bethesda.

They took the best of Morrowing and Fallout mechanics, mixed them together for a really enriched experience.

Level Cap is is roughly 80 ( if you do the math for the lowest common denominator classes), there's 350 dungeons and basically about 400 hours of gameplay for a single player to go through.

That's just over 1200 hours for 3 characters which is the average play for the average RPG'er.

Epic!

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
It rocks, Slightly buggy but then you have to expect that in a game this size. Go find a giant and see him launch you

I keep on trying to get on with the main story but i stumble across something and forget about the story line for hours.
edit on 15-11-2011 by TheBar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I picked it up Friday morning and they had to search to find a PS3 copy, apparently it sold quite well at the midnight release. I'm not an RPG fan but my daughter read the IGN review and decided she had to have it. She's definitely hooked, she played it all weekend and from the moment she got home from school yesterday until late. Looking over her shoulder it looks like the graphics are pretty good on our 55" HDTV/ PS3 although the frame-rate is a little choppy sometimes. The number of side quests is pretty staggering, I thought there were a lot of side quests in Assassin's Creed but good grief there are a zillion in Skyrim! It looks like a good game, but I don't think I'll be playing it after she's done, I don't have that kind of time to invest in it. Maybe I'll keep it and play it whenever I retire, LOL!

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Aww dammit i want skyrim so bad now gotta wait till december 15 to get it

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join