It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is that crap on the inside of my windshield?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

It's outgassing from the upholstery and plastic components in the car. I agree it's a bear to get off. Windex doesn't cut it. I've never found anything that really gets it off, especially because of the angles you need to get a firm wiping motion on the windows.

There is something that works very well for me. Clear Glass. It's a can of windshield spray cleaner. It's pretty cheep and you can find it near the rain X. Not only does it get rid of that nasty film (it does take a clean, thread free cloth to get all of it nice and clear) but it seriously keeps your glass super crystal clear and also keeps the windshield waterproof on the outside. Very cool stuff.

I usually buy it at autozone, but also found it at the dollar store and walmart.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Possibly related;

Beware: That New Car Smell is Toxic!

"New car smell could contain up to 35 times the health limit set for volatile organic chemicals in cars in Japan, making its enjoyment akin to glue-sniffing. The chemicals found included ethyl benzene, xylene, formaldehyde and toluene used in paints and adhesives"

"the van was found to contain 113 kinds of volatile organic chemicals, mostly hydrocarbons. It took four months to fall below the safe limit set by the state but shot above it again in the hot summer months even after two years."

That new-car smell might be toxic

9/27/2005

...Japanese manufacturers, including Toyota Motor Corp., have become the first to set an industrywide goal of reducing cabin concentrations to within government guidelines. The push could spur similar action by U.S. and European rivals, making interior air quality an emerging auto safety issue...

...The new-car smell emanates largely from chemicals known as volatile organic compounds, or VOCs, that leach from glues, paints, vinyls and plastics in the passenger compartment. The fumes can trigger headaches, sore throats, nausea and drowsiness. Prolonged exposure to some of the chemicals can lead to cancer, though there's no evidence linking that to concentrations in cars.

Critics liken the problem to so-called sick-building syndrome, which traces some illnesses to similar agents seeping from the walls, carpets and fixtures of new buildings.

Just sitting in a new car can subject riders to toxic emissions several times the limits deemed safe for homes or offices by some health authorities...

..."We find new car interiors have much higher VOC levels than any building we've researched," research leader Steve Brown said. "Ultimately, what we need are cars with interior materials that produce lower emissions."...

...The Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association initiated the drive after tests found some models made by three of the nation's top carmakers failed to meet government recommendations.

The industry group refused to identify which companies or models were evaluated...

...The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency sets no guidelines for volatile organic compounds in non-industrial settings, though formaldehyde is regulated as a carcinogen by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

The Washington-based Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, which represents nine carmakers including General Motors Corp., Ford Motor Co. and DaimlerChrysler AG, says it does not follow the issue of volatile organic compounds. DaimlerChrysler said it has no initiatives on the volatile organic compound-induced new-car fumes

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Get your air filter tested and see whats entering thru the vents while your driving.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
I don't like the fact that I'm breathing that in! If it's so hard to get off with Windex, I can only imagine what it's doing to my lungs.

Does it ever stop? I'm getting it in my 1996 Explorer still. Do you have any information on it?

It doesn't, really. There likely is nothing wrong with any of the components of your car. I've had that issue on every new car I've ever owned starting with a 78 Datsun. My 2004 Acura RL still has it. The back window, hard to get to anyway, is especially prone to it. I've been told tons of tricks and they basically don't work. "Wipe with a newspaper." "Use ammonia!" None of this stuff works. The best thing I've found is the kind of window cleaning foam they use at auto glass shops combined with a completely clean cloth like a baby diaper. The stuff is called "Sprayaway Glass Cleaner" and comes in a white and blue can. Rain-X also makes a product designed for interior use, though I've never tried it. It's called "Anti-Fog."

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Im really glad you brought this up, as its been bugging the heck out of me.......no car smoking around here and yet ALL the car windows are collecting this filmy crap. Ive even had my mechanic take a look......thinking exaust MUST be coming through the ac/heater vents. REALLY WEIRD and VERY frustrating! My mechanic suggested chemtrails even........

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I detail cars as a side job, so I see this a lot. It is the gasses from plastics and they get all over the glass. Stoners glass cleaner in the aerosol can works best. It HAS to be aerosol. Don't ask why, but the spray one didn't cut it for me.

My 2000 Ford Explorer gets it occasionally and I use the above mentioned product or Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer spray.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
[more
If t.its truly greasy and vinegar doesnt work ( I have been told its great for removing cigarette smoke from a windshield) try using a little Dawn detergent until you can find the actual cause.
Have you checked all of your heater hoses for cracks and not being still attached or the heater core?

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Do you drive with your window open? When you look at the skyline do you see a brownish icky haze?

Don't worry its just human filth.... use acetone

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Seems like mostly fords have this problem. Wife owned a 94 Taurus at one time and a Ford AeroStar. I never could get this junk off in a way that would be permanent. I even had a new windshield installed on the Taurus 3 days later the film was back.

I used product called bar keepers friend , It seems to work ok, but you have to apply it every month or the stuff comes back again on the windshield. I stopped buying fords after this. Problem solved.

edit on 14-11-2011 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

I too am a non smoker, and here is what I use. Ammonia and water. Ammonia will cut the film, commercial window cleaners have Ammonia in them, but not enough for this job.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join