It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is that crap on the inside of my windshield?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I'm putting this in the Fragile Earth forum, because there is something in the air that is attaching itself to the inside of my windshield. I don't smoke, yet after about 2 weeks, I get this "film" on the inside of my windows in my car. The stuff is a nightmare to clean, and it seems that even Windex and the likes has a problem with it.

I was talking to my sister (also a non-smoker) and she was complaining about it. I've noticed it in all my vehicles, and in other vehicles (not mine) when the light hits it. What really irks me is that it's dangerous when driving toward the direction of the sun in the early morning or evening. I can't see out of my window! The strange thing is, I didn't have this 10-15 years ago. I would get a little bit of this "film", but it would take a year or so to accumulate at the rate it is now.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there anyone with equipment to test what chemicals this "film" is made of?

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

It's outgassing from the upholstery and plastic components in the car. I agree it's a bear to get off. Windex doesn't cut it. I've never found anything that really gets it off, especially because of the angles you need to get a firm wiping motion on the windows.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Probably dust, due to air conditioning, it dries out the air.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I don't like the fact that I'm breathing that in! If it's so hard to get off with Windex, I can only imagine what it's doing to my lungs.

Does it ever stop? I'm getting it in my 1996 Explorer still. Do you have any information on it?

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAZ21
Probably dust, due to air conditioning, it dries out the air.

I get it in the winter too. It looks more like a oily type substance, rather than dusty. I get it in all 4 seasons (in Colorado).

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
You should have a compartmental HEPA filter somewhere in your cars HVAC system, replace it.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Your heater core which is tied into the engine's cooling system might be leaking.

I see you are in Colorado and this would be relevant especially if you've been using your heat and/or your defroster on those cold mornings.

And as you know The heater core is using engine coolant which when leaking would create a film as well as a chemical smell as it defrosts the windows.

Peace

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Hi.

If your car is "older" here are possibilities:

1 = A leak of your coolant system, condensing on your glass.

2 = a leak of you A/C system, condensing. . .

3 = a leak of oil from your engine/transmission, condensing. . .

4 = a leak of exhaust (contains a little oil), condensing. . .

5 = something like "liquid vaporized" RE-condensing on your glass,
from the car or from exterior. . .?

6 = any other guesses, anyone ?

Blue skies.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

It's outgassing from the upholstery and plastic components in the car. I agree it's a bear to get off.

Yup, that's it exactly. It is a bit greasy, so it's hard to remove with Windex. I first go over it with a slightly damp microfiber towel to get most of it off (in the shade), then follow that with Windex on paper towels, then take it out in the sun where I can see the streaks and use a clean, dry microfiber towel to remove the remaining streaks. The good thing is it takes a couple of years to accumulate, so you don't have to do this very often.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Dr. Bronner's all natural peppermint soap gets it off. I too tired everything else. to no avail. Get a clean empty spray bottle...mix up about 4 ounces of water with 1 ounce of Dr. Bronners Peppermint soap, it's liquid. Shake well, spray on window, let sit for about a minute, then wipe off with paper towels. Crystal clear, and non streak finish. Plus leaves a wonderful smell in your car. Use it to clean your stove top too...cuts grease like you wouldn't believe.

www.drbronner.com...

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Wow, it would be interesting to see if this chemical is toxic.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Road oil, car exhaust, skin cells and oils from your body.

Do you drive around with a window open. if so you can add smog.

Oils from your engine. and if there is even the tiniest leak in your heater the antifreeze from your car.

All this is common and you never see it happening till you get a layer built up to the point that it can be seen.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike
You should have a compartmental HEPA filter somewhere in your cars HVAC system, replace it.

Sorry but if you read, the OP drives a 1996 Ford Explorer, which does not have a cabin air filter! Those are somewhat recent.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by C-JEAN

6 = Chemtrails, condensing through HVAC system.
LMAO, sorry, Persitent Contrails
edit on 14-11-2011 by Techata because: spelling mistake

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Thanks for the feedback from everyone. I have it in my 1996 Explorer, my son's 2001 Explorer, my 2008 Kia Spectra, my sister's 2010 Prius, her 1995 Nissan Sentra, and their 2011 Ford F-250. The upholstery seems to be the culprit. It's got to be something new they're using since I had my '83 Trans Am and 1973 Nova in high school. Like I said, I NEVER washed my interior windows as a kid, unless absolutely necessary (kids are kids, ya know). This stuff is "new". And, like I've said, I see it in other cars when I can catch the sunlight through their windows.

I think I may call Colorado State and see if they can test it. I'd love to know what chemicals it contains, and why we have to now buy special products to clean our damn windows.
edit on 14-11-2011 by navy_vet_stg3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Try white vinegar, that might work to get the film off.

I always use it on my windows

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure it has to do with the windshield glass developing a static ionic charge and attracting billions of microscopic oppositely charged bits of dust and smoke from the ambient air.

I periodically soak the entire windshield with Windex and use a squeegee on the inside to scrape it off. It's faster and works so much better than rubbing with a cloth or paper towel. Your interior can handle the drips.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Techata
6 = Chemtrails, condensing through HVAC system.
LMAO, sorry, Persitent Contrails

No wonder I've been mutating and wanting to vote Republican these days! Also, I'm sure that stuff is fluoridating my teeth against my will.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I'll give all these options a try. I know for a fact it's not a vehicle maintenance problem, since it happens on so many different vehicles. Loved the chemtrail comment. My neighbor would certainly say that's the cause.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Try adding some white vinegar to your Windex, say a cap full to a bottle. Vinegar is very good at cutting through crap and has many uses for cleaning.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join