It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Piercings and tattoos at work

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Does anyone else have piercings, or tattoos, or both, that they get a hard time about in the work place? I do, and it makes me wonder why because they are very popular things to have. Why do we as a society allow this to happen? Given the popularity of these things, why is it still a requirement to not have them or cover them up at work? Are work places scared that they might lose out on some money if an employee offends one complete idiot? I feel like working involves emptying my personal "slate" of all personal expression, and becoming more of an object than a person. Does anyone else feel this way at their job?

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

they could be religous or political and I suppose they wouldn't want those subject bringing up in a place where ur mind is ment to be occupied by your... well occupation.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

yeah. i have a lot of "weird" tattoos AS YOU CAN SEE HERE and catch all kinds of flack about some of them. those aren't even all of them.

know what tattoos i catch the most
bad" looks about? Jesus. the aliens and huge gorilla on my back...i get questions. the Jesus...i either get love or i get a cold shoulder.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePeopleParty

So it's a case of the private sector putting it's influence on it's workers? Why do we as a society allow it? Why, in a world of self expression and tolerance, are we still allowing this to go on?

+8 more 
posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I'm an employer and I have a common sense rule for tattoos. Keep them to yourself.

I have many myself, but none below the wrists or above the shoulder. You can still have tatoos and be professional.

Now if you have a back neck tatoo, I'm nto that worried, or a back piece that extends to your neck , that's fine, but my clients don't want to deal with folks whose whole hands and face are covered in ink.

Although I find it quite appealing and have no problem with it on a personal level, it's all business and at the end of the day, unfortunetly my client's need for professionalism is going to be catered to.

Piercings I don't care, as long as you don't have like 40 in your face, but all around you ears, your nose, wtv.

~Keeper

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 11/14/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

I'll tell you why. I have both, but I also understand why. My are tasteful, and in places I could hide them if I so choose. The problem is there are too many that are offensive. People don't get them in good taste. There is a level of socially acceptable behavior and visual display that the population at large will tolerate. These are not some of them. Most consider that people who do this to themselves are trying to identify themselves with the thugs of society, since that is where a lot of this stems from. No different than the baggy pants thing.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ICEKOHLD

I'm not talking about anything as over the top as yours, I'm just talking about the average young person with a few facial piercings and some small tattoos. I respect your choice to express yourself, but I'm not talking about large and obvious things, I'm talking about smaller and fashionable things that we as a society are being denied by our employers.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by ThePeopleParty

So it's a case of the private sector putting it's influence on it's workers? Why do we as a society allow it? Why, in a world of self expression and tolerance, are we still allowing this to go on?

aye. in my opinion it is because most people i know have them including my self so none of usor anyone i know has a problem with them. as for why we put up with it? maybe its the same as everything els. we never stand together. we might have a moan in the cantina or what ever but we never get together as the lower % and stand up for things. not hardly these days anyway imo
edit on 14-11-2011 by ThePeopleParty because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

What is thuggish about a brow piercing? In my part of the country, you can't have any facial piercings AT ALL. I have to take mine out every day, and now they're trying to tell me to keep them out because the hole is unsightly.
edit on 14-11-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Actually I have had very positive experiences with my tats. Pretty much everyone at my job has one but we are all mostly in our early to late twenties. And since we are outside a lot in the summer months they arent always covered. But even my manager has showed us his tats. One time one of the kids we worked with asked if having a tat was mandatory...lol. Maybe I just happen to have a very progressive workplace?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Do you work in the food industry?

There are laws in most countries preventing workers who operate in food production such as fast food or farming, to wear jewelry as a safety concern.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I work in the automotive industry.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Hmm..well that's some strange social engineering laws then.

I've never heard of it here, unless the owner had some personal bias against it. I'm in Canada, but like I said every place has it's own set of rules, unfortunetly a lot of them are made by ahole beauraucrats.

+20 more 
link   

You have the right to have tatoos and piercings and I have the right to either hire or not hire you. Plain and simple.

link   
When you start a business, then you can determine a dress code.

It's up to the businesses to decide for themselves whether or not to allow tats.

It's also up to the customers whether or not to patronize a business. If an employees tats are offensive and business slumps as a result, then the business won't be open for long.

If you want to be employed, then you need to think about your body art before you make any permanent choices.

It's your right to do what you want with your body.

It's the people that own businesses right to chose the people that they would like working for them.

Choose carefully.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
If you have no capacity to represent the image of the company, then the employer is just being dense. On the other hand as an employee if you come in contact with anyone the company has dealings with, you project a company image. In this case dress code should apply as the employer sees it.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I'm a manager, and their excuse is, "it doesn't display good professionalism". I don't really work with the public that much, and I do not work in sales.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
the bottom line is that your there to do a job... thats all that should matter not what stuff/ personal tings you have..
i got about a 8 or so inch one on the under of my forearm and they dont ever say anything..

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

when i worked in the auto repair industry, the shop i worked for...i had to wear pants and long sleeves at work. and it was not air conditioned. so it got hot. but you know what? i love the art so it's worth it to me. in fact...that's kinda part of getting tattooed! you are supposed to stand out a little more after each tattoo...otherwise...it's a pointless tattoo.

do you get tattooed to fit in? if not, you shouldn't be too surprised to learn that tattoos make you stand out. don't spread your wings too far if you wanna fly under the radar!
edit on 11/14/11 by ICEKOHLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

I was hired with them, and told they were not a problem. Now, 5 years later, they've been steadily trying to get rid of them.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join