It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 1% is acting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
While I was meditating, I came across a very intresting theory concerning OWS and the protests. There is an occupy movement near my house, and all the majority of people I see are young college students attending.

Video Games:
During November there are many video games coming out. This year, there are many violent video games coming out too, such as Call of uty and other shooter games. It is true that many young adults get hooked quick on these games. This addicction of their forces them to play more games for longer periods of time. This causes very anti-social behaviour.

The OWS Movement:
There majoirty of protesters are young people. They all believe if everyone is socially connected with this, and participates, they can have a reform.
These video games are marketed to young adults. Could it be a coencidience that these video games are intended for these young adults to get hooked and loose all intrest on what's going on?

Just my thoughts. If we don't spread the word, this will just be another unresolved problem of the past.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Games are released this time of the year to get maximum sales over the christmas period....its all about the money

Games dont make you violent, i have been playing games since i was about 10...im now 31.
There were a lot of games during my younger years that were far more violent than the games of today.

If you are a psychopath nothing will change that. Games may not help the issue but they are certainly not the cause.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Warpthal

Ummm... you're saying video games cause violence, that there are only young people at OWS protests and that all young people play video games? Okay then.. WE WERE WARNED??

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Warpthal
These video games are marketed to young adults. Could it be a coencidience that these video games are intended for these young adults to get hooked and loose all intrest on what's going on?

Yes, it's a coincidence. Development on every major game being released this month was initiated before the Occupy circus started. Major releases are timed to coincide with major shopping periods like Black Friday and Christmas. No one is releasing video games to draw young people away from Occupy protests.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
There is no study in existance, at least one that is peer reviewed which shows that violent video games are attributed to anti-social behaviour or violent behaviour.

What studies to show is the act of sitting in your room for 12 hours a day, days on end, will certainly make you anti-social and possibly manic deppressive, but it's not the video game that does that, it's the overrall lazyness associated with staying indoors for extended periods of time.

As for the time frame, most major games are released during Holiday schedules and the end of yearly Quarters.

November being in the mid 4th quarter, you see a lot of releases. Same thing with April and July and so on.

ETA: Considering the average production cycle of any major video game varies between 2 and 5 years, these were thought up and started on way before any OWS movement.

~Keeper
edit on 11/14/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I was stunned to see that Blackwater has it's own game coming out. Amazing. These guys have murdered civilians, there are rumors that they have even fired on US personel. I do remember reading a story in 07(?) about a blackwater team drawing their guns on an army unit in Iraq. These guys are going to be our biggest problem in a SHTF scenario.
And the 1% has been acting for well over a century. It's the 99% that finally got off their asses.
edit on 14-11-2011 by GoldenRuled because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Absolutely, it is quite evident that there are distractions EVERYWHERE. What worries me, is the fact that people are so infatuated with things that don't affect their own lives such as; Sports, Reality Shows, etc.

If only they would spend their time on something more meaningful instead of worrying about what NFL game is coming up.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
A. OWS is more adults, with teens stopping by(not camping).
B. Videogames =/= violence.
edit on 14-11-2011 by xPico because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
In my opinion, i would say a large number of people who play video games a lot are pretty much zombified, so i can definitely see and agree with the argument that they are used as a means of placation, in a general conspiratorial sense.

I know people who live for video games and could care less about what goes on around them.

I know people who live to play video games and are very aware and active in political activities and society around them.

I know a guy who grew up playing military games and ended up joining the marines.

I would say there are all walks of life in video gamers, and would personally say that military games are there to brainwash people into false senses of glory, heroism, and nationalism. I would also say that many of the games are there, again, to placate and zombify people. Finally, I would say that many people just like to play video games because it's a different world created around a complex set of rules.

All in all, it IS media, and we all know what media--both hot and cold--do.

But video games and violence is only correlation, not causation.

new topics

top topics

join