It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whales Stranded On Tasmanian Beach....Possible Sign Of An Earthquake?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I apologize if this has already been posted, a search did not bring up any current threads.

The pod was discovered on Ocean Beach near Strahan early Saturday morning, but authorities say conditions in the water are too dangerous for rescuers to intervene.

Nearby, rescuers were making progress in freeing another eight sperm whales stranded on a sand bar in Macquarie Harbour, about four kilometres south of the beach.

Source

What I DID find in my search here on ATS however is that this has happened in the past, so perhaps this is more of an unfortunate migratory accident vs anykind of reaction to a pending quake.

Since this article is from Saturday morning, I would say that if this is due to a quake, it would be very, very soon or not at all. Hopefully some of them stuck on the bar were freed, but I doubt that once they make it to the beach its possible to help them, they're so large. Anyone have further info?

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Interesting thread, s&f.

Nature knows before our seismos do, so lets hope not.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
It could also be due to " sonar pings" from submarines. It is said to fry the migratory part of the brain of sea life.
Maybe there was a sub nearby.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by BluePillOrRedPill

tend to agree more with this statement.
155 whales dead in Tasmania. Monday, 1 December 2008 with no quake
48 sperm whales stranded on Perkins Island, off Tasmania's north-west, January 24, 2009 again no quake
30 pilot whales has stranded on Tasmania's South Bruny Island. March 17, 2011 with no quakes.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Dr Arunachalam Kumar, a professor from India, believes there is a connection between the beaching of marine mammals and earthquakes. Three weeks before the tsunami, he was alerted to the whales’ deaths, and wrote:

“It is my observation, confirmed over the years, that mass suicides of whales and dolphins that occur sporadically all over the world, are in some way related to change and disturbances in the electromagnetic field co-ordinates and possible realignments of geotectonic plates thereof.“I would not be surprised if within a few days a massive quake hits some part of the globe.”

Source ..

EARTHQUAKES AT SEA EXPLAIN WHY WHALES BEACH THEMSELVES!

When the seafloor bounces up and down during a shallow submarine earthquake, the vertical motion in the rocky bottom acts like a giant piston, pushing and pulling at the water, generating a series of intense pressure changes commonly known as seaquake waves (called T-Phase waves by seismologists). These compressional vibrations travel toward the surface at 1,500 meters per second as alternating compressions and rarefactions (dilations).

www.deafwhale.com...

Peace ..
edit on 14-11-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I remember a bunch were stranded before NZ's quake I think - I said to my partner & my mum 'bet there'll be an earthquake now' and there was and mum was shocked that we only just talked about it - i'm in bed with the kidlet right now but when we hop up i'll try and get some details to back myself up! :p

But thanks for the Article WC, I definitely think theres a correlation between beaching/quakes.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Looked through all my posts and I can't find what I was talking about but I SWEAR there was a bunch that beached in Tas before a quake! hrm.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Earthquakes may affect the Whales, but there are many more strandings happen when there are no earthquakes of note that can be considered related.
Its like the Moon v Earthquakes thing, when one event coincides with a Moon Phase everyone gets excited and claims the relationship, but they forget the other 99% of earthquakes that happened outside the moon phases.

anyway, if there is a relationship between quakes and whales we are in for a whopper.

Stranding at Cape Farewell, NZ yesterday also
"Thirty-one pilot whales lie dead at the tip of Farewell Spit and the lives of 34 others hung in the balance this morning as the tide came in"............... more

Another theory is that the pods follow a sick member into shore and they all get stuck.
Cape Farewell is a shocker for whale strandings being so shallow near the Spit

just my own observation, but it appears most pod strandings happen in the southern hemisphere in the Summer months, could be a sea temperature thing
edit on 15-11-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Thanks Muzzy, and to the others who contributed info.

Hopfeully it isn't quake related, but either way it is sad to see these incredible creatures suffer.

join