It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: WinXP SP2 Doesn't Work on 10% of Computers

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
DUH, is it just me, or does anyone else find it odd how many MS porgrams conflict with SP2?

Please see the following link to view the list of problems:hot topics about using programs...with SP2

I'm shocked by the number of AntiVirus progs that don't work with SP2! And since I use AutoCAD heavily I was shocked to see it on the list also. I don't use the FTP features of it, so things will probably be OK.

This is the kind of stuff I was waiting for before installing SP2. I don't see anything on that list currently that would effect me, other then the AutoCAD, but I can get around that.

Great link DTOM.
Everyone should check it out.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I gotta say, if you read what to do beforehand, check with your computer manufacturer and check for spyware beforehand (SpywareBlaster and SpyBot), SP2 is a breeze.
No glitches post install that I can see.

Now, what was I so worried about?
I guess it pays to do a little research and have a forum where you can ask questions.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thatoneguy
At a job interview the interviewer kept stressing "I dont know what SP2 is going to do to us"
I told him, that I dont plan on installing it because I have heard of lots of problems.
Did he take my advice? Dont know... I didnt get the job

Was this a technical interview? If it was, no wonder you did not get it... ha ha ha ha
A small bit of advice, companies have to take security very seriously. Especially if they are being audited with ISO 9000 or 14000 or Sarbanes-Oxley, or CFR Part 11 standards. With SOx, there is jail time that can be done if not properly taken care of. Pretty serious stuff involving finances, user/customer data etc.

So, firms need to upgrade to the latest SPs. With security issues at hand, there is no wait and see answer. You would NEED to upgrade. The best answer is that you should recommend a project to identify the systems and run some testing and then they will accurately be able to know the impact on costs/budgets, time, resources, etc etc. Never ever go into an IT meeting and say that... ha ha Although it is funny your answer, but I would not do it. Especially if the IT Manager is good.
Just some friendly advice.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I have had no problems at all since I installed SP2. I would say that I have had fewer problems, but I'm not sure of the causality issue. I have had no virus, trojan horse, or spyware infections since I installed it and I have to say that that is unusual, as I used to get infected quite regularly. I still get tracking cookies, but Ad-Aware takes care of those.

Personally, I recommend the upgrade.

[edit on 04/9/22 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I took the plunge yesterday and upgraded to SP2 on one of my machines.

So far it has been running quite well. I'm still getting the hang of the new pop-up blocker in IE. Funny thing is, when you use the Office update site, it makes use of pop ups, and you need to set IE up to allow them from Office Update for it to work.

I was worried that the new Firewall would mess up my home network, and I would have to reconfigure the connection sharing. It has not been a problem.

Be cautious, be careful, but I am now ready to recommend this update for your XP machine.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join