It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advance Bomber Concept- Could it Work?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies

Originally posted by MBF

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies

That is highly unpractical, you can't just take an aircraft built for Civilian Commerical flight and modify it to be a bomber, the design flaws would be too great.

Shattered OUT...

Doesn't Russia use modified commercial aircraft for military purposes? I think the intent of the aircraft was to haul a larger payload of bombs than the B-2 can carry. The 747 has a max payload of about 250,000lbs and i think the B-52 payload was listed as 70,000lbs.

[edit on 6-9-2004 by MBF]

I never said civilian airliners weren't used for military purposes, I said it would be stupid to turn a civilian airliner into a militaryBOMBER. That does not dismiss the role of civilian aircraft in the Military altogther.

And MBF was talking about turning a civilian airliner into a bomber not a military aircraft Shadow, and I know that 747-400's have been modified to be airborne lasers.

Shattered OUT...

There are several civilian aircrafts used for military purposes, but they aren't combat aircraft, they are support aircraft(with the exception of the airborne laser). Here's a list of some civilian aircraft and their military versions:

Boeing 707: C-135, KC-135, EC-135, RC-135, E-6, E-3, E-8
Boeing 747: E-4, VC-25 "Air Force One", YAL-1
MDD/Boeing DC-10: KC-10

These are the ones that come to mind quickly, I'm sure there are more.

Tim
ATS Director of Counter-Ignorance

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   
You can add the Lockheed Tristar to that list.

How many civil types ARE combat aircraft too? Or at least the basis of a 'combat' aircraft. I can think of three off the top of my head; Comet/Nimrod, Electra/Orion and Il-18/Il-38. Anymore?

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
The USAF is currently in the midst of replacing the almost 50 year old B-52's. The main contender or idea being thrown out is a bomber version of the F/A-22 which they will call the FB-22. They plan to make the FB-22 based off the current F/A configs, except spice it up for bomber technicalities.

Classified as a 'regional bomber' the plans for the FB-22 are as follows. Thirty plus bomb carriage capability, attack range of approx. 1,600 miles, intense stealth technology based off the F/A-22 current tech, sophisticated maneuverability and defensive tactics for air-to-air combat, and supercruise (supersonic speed cruising without afterburners).

Because the USAF is investing so much time and money into its fighter squadron, the release of the FB-22 is TBA. But, 2015 was a time thrown out into prospective.

<< 1  2   >>

join