It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In outer space without a spacesuit?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Burgo1010

Don´t worry, I understand were you are comming from. I just have a nack for pointing out such things.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainInstaban

Hard to pinpoint a specific temperature in space, it depends on how much sunlight one is exposed to, and how far away from the sun one is for how long.

What is the temperature of space, is actually very complicated to answer. Universal radiation equilibrium, Planck's famous black body radiation law, one of the first results of quantum physics. This law states that every object radiates electromagnetic energy according to its temperature. The coldest anything can realistically be is 3 K (2.725 +/- 0.002 K), this is the temperature of the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMB), -270.15ºC, or -454.27ºF. Kelvin is the scale of preference used for celestial measurements, where 0ºK is -273.15ºC, or -459.67ºF. The kelvin scale uses Absolute Zero as it's zero point, using increased intervals equal to Celsius, or 1.8º Fahrenheit, and 1.8º Rankine.

True interstellar space shielded by any sunlight is about 10 K, (-263ºC, -442ºF), the shadow side of Pluto at about 40 K, (-233ºC, -388ºF), typically the coldest place in the solar system, (arguable).

Atoms in the Solar Wind which pass by the Earth have very high energies, typical of the Solar corona (over a million degrees Kelvin). This is not an equilibrium temperature; the atoms were given that energy when they left the Sun, and just haven't had a chance to lose it.

Emission nebulae such as the Orion Nebula are dense (by astronomical standards) gas clouds, heated by nearby hot stars. The gas in them typically has temperatures of up to 10,000 K.

The surface of the moon can range from day extreme of +250ºF to night -250ºF, and I'm sure those are 'nice rounded' figures. The surface of Mercury can range from +800ºF dayside to -290ºF nightside, about 90 K. Venus actually maintains a pretty constant 900ºF day and night due to its atmosphere.

So in the vicinity of 'earth space, use the moon surface figures for extremes, but realize your body temperature will take sometime to radiate to those extremes.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Dalbeck

Great thread!!!

I have to admit though... the best line was this... cracked me up...

Here it gets really interesting!!!

Anyway, awesome work. F&S

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Thanks for the info.

You seem very knowledgeable in this area.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

I ran across the very same article a year ago or so in the OP, on a site called damninteresting.com, and in fact just reposted it in another forum yesterday, company overview: "A collection of Damn Interesting things".

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic

Temperature extreme is not a concern due to the lack of a carrier, (air, water), explained in the article.

Severed head believed to be a fallacy through gruesome experiments. Nerve activity with no consciousness. Behead a chicken and watch the headless carcass run around for a while, it's nerve reflex memory, (there is a term for that). I witnessed this very thing when I was a kid, some true hillbillies moved into our neighborhood.

There was a European scientist, many many moons ago, that chopped off his assistants head. Before he did it he told the assistant to blink as many times as he could after "the big chop". The guy blinked for 11 seconds.

Dont have time to find the article, but its out there.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Well, frankly the truth still remains on the issue.

We have never actually tested this theory to its fullest. All the data is made from a room on Earth. Space itself is a completely different thing that we ATS members are constantly stating "We havent scrathced the surface when it comes to the cosmos"

So untill i see someone take off there helmet off while in outer space in real time.....im sticking with the very scary movie, Mission To Mars, and its current theory on being subjected to the outer space environment

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by mthgs602
Well, frankly the truth still remains on the issue.

We have never actually tested this theory to its fullest. All the data is made from a room on Earth. Space itself is a completely different thing that we ATS members are constantly stating "We havent scrathced the surface when it comes to the cosmos"

So untill i see someone take off there helmet off while in outer space in real time.....im sticking with the very scary movie, Mission To Mars, and its current theory on being subjected to the outer space environment

But at least the data is from a scientific standpoint. I love sci-fi too, but I think I'd be leaning towards the fact rather than the fiction in this theory.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

That's what animals are here for. We eat them, we use them, better use some unintelligent animals that can be reproduced at any given time. Using humans, doesn't matter, if they're rapists or murderers, would be wrong.
Clicking on the thread i made a bet that there was at least one animal #er who makes that comment exactly. Always funny to see those idiots crying about reproduceable things we use.

For topic: Interesting, i can't imagine how horrible those 10 seconds would feel. I'm glad that the people who experienced such situations, survived it.

The Hollywoodversion is sure more fun though, especially in that one Itchy & Scratchy episode were Itchy uses a needle to pop Scratchys head like a balloon

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Nightfury

I was thinking the same thing. NASA says here nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov... that almost pure ice crystals were detected on the moon with LCROS' Satellite impact. With no atmosphere and near vacuum conditions, wouldn't the ice crystals pretty much sublimate,and turn into vapor?

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by mthgs602

Some of the data comes from space, and near space, exposures from data of an ill fated Soviet Sputnik 11 in 1971, and Project Excelsior, the highest parachute jump.

A good link to the above mentioned

Aerospace web link

The quick answers to these questions are: Clarke got it about right in 2001. You would survive about a ninety seconds, you wouldn't explode, you would remain conscious for about ten seconds.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I wonder if any of the naughts played chicken in space. Running out of the capsule without their suits then back in again

It would be interesting if someone dared do it then you would actually feel on your skin what its like in space.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Sci-Fi_entist

When disturbed yes, in permanent shade from the sun no. LCROSS was shot near the south pole where some areas of craters may never see the light from the sun, due to angle.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainInstaban

Lol, I´ll give you a hint.

As long as they are pedos and rapists, or scientists who use animals for testing , you don´t find it sadistic to use human beings in harmful experiments?

The lesser of two evils, if you must.

I'd rather see a convicted pedo or rapist being used for gruesome experiments than some innocent animal. They lose their humanity as soon as they inflict themselves on society, taking from the innocent.

Nope, I don't have any qualms about that.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85

That's what animals are here for.

Using humans, doesn't matter, if they're rapists or murderers, would be wrong.

Why? Are humans some sort of non-animal?

Or does the ability to go around starting wars and inventing new ways to kill things, make us superior?

We're doing a dandy job of looking after the world as it is, with this "It's there for us to use up!" mentality.

Rapists and pedos are not worth the air they breathe.

Love your expletives too, surprised you don't get a warning for it...

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
On topic, there was also a study done on a mosquito in space, which survived for 18 months...

It did cheat however, by turning the water in it's body into tricallosa sugar crystals, which effectively puts it into suspended animation, but it does make you wonder what other forms of 'life' can go into suspended animation and traverse the universe..

Mosquito survives for 18 months in space

(and no, don't start on the innocent mosquito jive... )

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Dalbeck

So I guess that according to the data, Stanley Kubrick and Arthur C. Clark got it right...

One could remain conscious during sudden decompression for just long enough to act and shut the door without suffering any permanent injury. Sorry about the link, view it on YouTube.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
This post got me thinking about a video I saw awhile back about Jim LeBlanc, poor (lucky?) bastard's pressurized suit failed while in the middle of a vacuum chamber test. Probably the closest incident there's been to anyone actually being in space without a suit. You know, sans the cold (or heat).

This is how people learn stuff

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Dalbeck

You have roughly 13 seconds before your blood turns into gas and you die. There's no pressure in space and humans need a properly pressurized environment to keep their circulatory systems working.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
i'd pray i pass out rather than staying awake those 10 seconds, least you wouldn't feel it

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join