It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US officials worried about about security at London 2012 Olympics

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

US officials worried about about security at London 2012 Olympics

www.guardian.co.uk

US plans to send 500 FBI agents to protect its athletes as organisers admit underestimating number of security guards needed

American officials have expressed deep unease that the UK has had to restrict the scope of anti-terrorism "stop and search" powers

Originally it had thought 10,000 guards would be enough, but after a review over the summer it now believes it will need up to 21,000.

Where is the money to pay for this coming from? It is an extra burden on the defence budget
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Its about time to do away with the Olympics that have become over commercialized battles of what amount to professional athletes. 21,000 security guards for what? To stop a potential terrorist from entering a venue? Is it worth it? Over the past 20 years the Olympics have barely made money for host cities and in come cases the cities have lost money hosting the games. I was in Atlanta during the Olympics and the life of the citizens was essentially destroyed during the build-up with construction projects, traffic that made it impossible to go to work. Were I to live in a city that was hosting an Olympics again I would get out of town.

Viewership has steadily dropped, the games little more than endorsement commercials and the spirit of true amature athletics has long been eroded, at least in the major sports. Ask 10 people who hosted the last Winter Olympics and see if they know. The majority won't.

All the Olympics are any more is some bogus statement about global solidarity and an event for host nations/cities to pump outrageous amounts of money into a show.

Time fo sanity to reign and for nations to not even bid on the games.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
They thought ten thousand was enough but now it turns out they need 21 thousand.

Well at least they were close and it didn't take them long to realise how wrong they were.(sarcasm)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

When you need 21,000 armed guards to protect athletes who simply wear your flag...you might be an opressive empire.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
According to the Illuminati card game, there is supposed to be some sort of disaster at the 2012 olympics. I even goes as far as to show a picture of big ben falling and people with the color of the olympic rings running away and in a panic. Coincidence?

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by fishman1985

That wasn't big ben on that card.
People who buy into that card stuff have already used that card on the Japan quake. Can't play the same card twice.. at least I don't think so..

Observe:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 14-11-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I would be curious to know whether the UK authorities would tolerate 500 FBI officers getting in the way – because that’s what they will do. Somehow, I think they would cramp the style and approach of the UK authorities. I also doubt that these FBI officials would be allowed to be armed. I expect if there was a problem then it would be up to the UK to resolve regardless of the nationalities involved.

I feel sorry for the athletes who will not be “allowed” to slip out for a quick drink passed the numerous officials barring their way.

While I think Olympic security is vital (considering the past e.g. Munich) and the prospect of another bunch of psychos planning to light up the town, I do think there is a point when it is overboard. I am afraid the US authorities seem to like going “overboard” with things like this.

Regards

edit on 14/11/2011 by paraphi because: Corrected factual inaccuracy. Changed Berlin to Munich.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

People who buy into that card stuff have already used that card on the Japan quake. Can't play the same card twice.. at least I don't think so..

Observe:

I used to play MTG, and there were many cards that let you reuse the same card even if it has been removed from the game...

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Yet another thing to waste money on.

Guess someone broke into the piggy bank.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

Observe:

Also even if the card is for the japan thing, i still think something will happen, why all of a sudden a rediculous number of troops? To make sure thier plan goes down as they want and to stop anyone/group from stopping thier plans going down the way they want.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
These things are getting tiring (no offense OP - I'm referring to the tone and form of the media "alert" news-style).

Is there a time when they are expected not to worry about security? I expect the answer is "no." That being the case, why tell us that - as usual - security professionals are exploring the vulnerabilities and potential for problems in this event?

Because that wouldn't evoke, maintain, and inflate the fear that makes our officials relevant.

Why does the media do this?... because their owners are also the owners of both the defense industry and the political machinery as well,.... that's why.

edit on 14-11-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

It is little than exporting the notion of a terrorist under every rock philosophy that underpins US domestic security at the moment. What do the other NATO countries feel about the security? They were laying waste to Libya and involved in other middle east war efforts. What do they think?

If a host nation can not provide adequate security to satisfy any country then that country should not attend the games in a formal sense. Athletes should be free to attend of their own accord and take the risk, to the extent that there is any. The tax payer should not be obligated to secure an athelete who is making his own choice to dedicate his life to a sport.

I don't see how the emergency communications will be harmonized either. In the US, law enforcement at the city, state and federal can barely communicate at an adequate level do to differences in communication infrastructure. How will this work outside of the country?

This is some kind of show of force.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I could not agree with you more. We have never seen anything close to a reasonable articulation of the cost/benefit associated with the heightened security coupled with the reduction of our personal freedoms which has occurred under the guise of "security".

The media sells doom and gloom and the military industrial complex is the domestic security complex. They all serve the same interests. This kind of media is nothing than a commercial for practices and policys that erode personal freedoms.

You can not proove a negative - "were we to not have this level of security, a Taco Bell in every town would be blown up". Try proving thats not true.

Give me back my privacy, rights against warrantless searches, freedom from GPS tracking, biometric id cards and the rest of it. I'll take my chances with the terrorists.

Our freedoms don't generate revenue and absent revenue there is no cash to spiff the elected officials. Selling fear is here to stay

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
The olympics has become a childish competition between greedy world leaders who want to show each other who can do the best fireworks opening party,who can rip the most off their tax payers,and who can have the most SS like security IMO.
Sorry for ranting.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Well before we say that we need to someone to get the security numbers from other Olympics.
The Olympics have always been a target though.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

I was just joking with that comment. I was more implying it had to be one disaster or the other and it honestly does look like the wako clock even though that wasn't really damaged.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I wish the USA would stop trying to stick its fat nose into UK security issues.

This isn't the first time they've doubted us, which is a tad insulting really. Considering a hell of a lot of UK soldiers,special forces and security are responsible for training American security forces and special forces.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Agreed!

Typical American arrogance.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
How many FBI agents did it take to pull off 911?
Are they sure 500 could pull off a false flag,
500 men bringing things through customs unchecked,
maybe it is enough.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

What a load of bull. The UK has an excellent record at dealing with terrorism.. Since most terrorism seems to be funded by the CIA. Including the IRAs bombing of the UK mainland...

I think if there is a need for concern we need look no futher than uncle sam. There is no need to infer that we need more stop and search laws in the UK. Restrict freedom in the US if you wish, but dont bring that rubbish over here..

top topics

<<   2 >>

join