It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United adds another layer to cockpit security

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   
WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- United Airlines plans to install steel cable barriers on its planes to block access from the passenger cabin to the flight deck when the cockpit door is open, government and airline officials said Wednesday.

It is the first voluntary move by a major U.S. carrier to take structural steps to restrict cockpit access beyond a post September 11 requirement by the government for airlines to install stronger cockpit doors.

Bankrupt United, the No. 2 airline, lost two planes in the 2001 hijack attacks.

www.cnn.com... index.html

Jeff Green, a United spokesman, said the secondary barrier resembles a fence that blocks the forward crew corridor from the passenger cabin. It can be locked into place when pilots leave the cockpit to use the restroom or receive meals.

The airline has been using wheeled beverage carts to block the cockpit entrance while the door is open.

While its use is more likely on longer flights, the airline plans to install the barrier on all 500 of its planes. United tested the device on its Boeing 757 aircraft.

Green would not say how much the change will cost the company but said the project has been in the works for some time.

The Federal Aviation Administration recently approved the modification. U.S. transportation security officials have no authority over its installation or use but said they were aware of United's plans.

I was trying to picture this... I think it would work, what do you guys think ?

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
wats the point?

if the government could override the system, take control of the plane from the ground, and ram it into a building, then i see no point for extra security.

new topics

join