It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disappearing Threads: An age-old question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I know this has been discussed a zillion times, but I wonder if we can get some clarification. Just awhile ago a new member showed up with his introductory thread entitled:

"New to forum - Let's put everything(!) out in the open"

It was very wordy, perhaps a bit officious, and nearly incomprehensible. So a couple of people, including myself, replied in a light-hearted manner. Antar and I started writing back and forth. I suppose we poked at the guy a little bit, but he seemed to take it okay and it was a fun discussion, not very serious. I probably made more fun of myself than anything else, since my parents were cousins, so that explains how I turned out. Pretty tame stuff. I thought the OP was trying to impress us by using big words, and there's always the newbie who shows up and thinks he knows all the answers. I guess in the back of my mind I was subtly letting him know he wasn't the only one who knew English and that just maybe he could chill his jets until he got the lay of the land. I didn't say that outright, but I suspect that's where he was coming from.

Then suddenly: 404. No message to me, so I'm pretty sure I wasn't the cause. I wrote to antar. We've known each other since we both got here a few years ago, and she doesn't kmow either. No message to her. We're both puzzled. Except for using big words strung together in an incomprehensible manner, I don't see how the OP messed up. He wasn't abusive. Language was not profane. There were no illegal topics under discussion.

Can anyone here hazard a guess as to why this happened? There might be something I don't understand about T&C. I just don't know. I'm puzzled.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Flagged it cos it sometimes happens and we really ought to get an explanation.

No explanation could mean the member was a returning banned member. There is no discussion of other members allowed? That said, you have just mentioned 2 in this OP.

edit on 13/11/11 by Pimander because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

This is interesting. There was a code embeded in to the post. Not only was it taken down everything else that he had posted is gone.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by bozotheclown

This is interesting. There was a code embeded in to the post. Not only was it taken down everything else that he had posted is gone.

I have seen this before, cant remember any details, but it is most likely a banned member returning or someone wh has began to spam the boards or members u2u boxes. You go and look at the profile and posting history and suddenly....gone!

As to the thread the op is referencing, didnt read it so i can offer no insght there.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
We only remove threads that violate the rules.
Spammers, new members who try to sell something, "new" members who try to circumvent a Post Ban by signing a new account.....all those things can get seemingly innocent threads removed.

And, of course, introductions are for introductions only.

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join