It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ultimate Cinnamon Bun Recipe...I'll show mine if you show me yours!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Well, according to me and many of my customers it truly is the best cinnamon bun around...In fact, you'll notice that there is no cream cheese icing or any icing at all...They're THAT good!

This recipe took me 6 Months to get it right. Lots of trials, tribulations, tears and frustration but the end result was well worth it. These buns are the anchor of my baking section in our little Take-Out and were also the main stay in our Full bakery back East.

Sorry about the color but I'm in my store right now and have no camera. Took the pan and slid them up to my laptop cam...

First of all, these are NOT the bread based buns that many are familiar with but actually a biscuit base. Makes for a better, less chewy texture as well as being able to incorporate more flavor into the base itself instead of just on top or between layers.

Here it is:

For the batch that I make every morning, 12 Monster buns and 12 regular size you will want to get the large muffin pans or just make a lot of regular sized ones.:

10 cups flour
1 tbsp salt
1/2 cup baking powder
1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/3 cups skim milk powder
1lb Butter (Chop into small pieces first) DO NOT MELT
4 cups Cold Water

Optional: 3 1/2 cups dried Blueberry, Cranberry, Cherry or Raisins. If you do this, soak the dried fruits for a few hours in warm water first.

No need to be pretty about it...just throw it all in and mix only until all is mixed. NO FURTHER! The thing you will notice is that the butter is still in visible chunks throughout...Perfect!

Do not put flour on your counter top but rather just spray or use a light coating of veg oil to lightly grease your counter top.

The dough is going to be sticky and gooey...not bready. Again, Perfect!

Split the mass into 2/3 and 1/3 amounts. The 2/3 makes the big buns and the 1/3 makes the smaller ones.

Roll out loosely to about 1/4 inch thickness. Do not over work. Try to make it a rectangle to make it easier to work with. Less rolling = looser dough which = less chewy.

Spread brown sugar over the entire surface at about 1/4 inch depth. Sprinkle cinnamon over the entire area until you can't see the sugar anymore...seriously. At this time you can add any dried fruits or nuts on an even spread according to your tastes. Makes it harder to roll but hey, who said baking was easy?

Roll away from you at a medium looseness. Too tight and it's chewy. Too loose and they will fall apart.

Cut into sections that will be level with whatever size muffin pan you chose. Make sure to grease the pan first. No flour.

Bake at 375 degrees for approx 25 minutes. Of course this will vary depending on your oven, elevation of your location, humidity etc. Convection ovens work best. Most have weak spots so rotating half way thru will help to ensure an even bake.

I've also made this recipe in an outdoor oven but as a biscuit. After all is mixed, put ice cream scoop sized blobs on a pan (parchment paper or greased) about 1 inch apart, brush with milk and bake for about 14 to 20 mins. Crack open, slather with butter and dip into that squirrel stew...

Done..Enjoy!

Peace

edit on 13-11-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Oh man, sounds super delicious and I was just wondering what dish I would make for the Thanksgiving dinner I was invited to. However, as drool forms on the corner of my mouth looking at these things, I may do a test batch first, just to see how good these are. nya nya nya....

Squirrel stew, hee hee!

Much thanks Jude

Eta; I gather from some of your posts you are a seasoned baker. Do you have a book? I'd love a good scone recipe as well as a southern bread pudding recipe.
edit on 13-11-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
Oh man, sounds super delicious and I was just wondering what dish I would make for the Thanksgiving dinner I was invited to. However, as drool forms on the corner of my mouth looking at these things, I may do a test batch first, just to see how good these are. nya nya nya....

Squirrel stew, hee hee!

Much thanks Jude

Your family will be truly thankful.

Try a half batch at first. No need to waste just in case.

Good Luck and report back on your experiment.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

mmmmm....YUM! You are the sweet talker aren't you??
I'm sorry, I have nothing to show you back.....sigh!
I always buy mine. Yep, I admit it......so ashamed.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by britelite1971
reply to post by jude11

Buy? What's that?

I don't know that word when it comes to cinnamon buns...

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
The Mrs. just said she wanted something sweet......what I offered wasn't what she had in mind. I am gonna try these right now, I gather from a post above 1/2 batch should be ok? I will let you know how they turn out.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
These look so delicious! I can't wait to try the recipe out. Will pick up the things I don't have enough of on the next grocery run.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
im not sure about dough. we get ours prerolled, frozen. but if your having proplems with dryness. layer the cooking sheet with my goo. lol

3 sticks butter or margrin. (butter works best. the margrin seems to clump when cooling.)
2 to 2 an a half cups brown sugar. (we use mini bags, so amount is to your liking.) More= thicker
cinnamon to taste preference. i usually go with 4 tsp. (but as many chefs say "i dont Measure" nor do i.
about a qtr to half cup of syrup. as in, for waffles. lol.
Ok so you throw the butter n a pot to melt. (or microwave for about 5 min. if late)
melted? ok, now you add the brown sugar. mix alil to melt and not burn.
cinnamon and syrup. mixing of course.
now let it cool for a while. then put some into a pan. (i like qauter pans. they fit 6 to 8 perfectly and the walls help to cake-ify it as to speak. spread then add whatever. (ex. raisins, chopped pecans) i like the pecans!
cook your cinnamon rolls their usual time.
When done. take a knife and cut between the walls of the pan and the rolls.(for sticking.)
Grab another quater pan. Put it like your doing an upside down cake, and flip. (over a sink is probably best)
now you got a nice glaze on the tops of them. i go the easy way out on the frosting. powder sugar+ heavy whipping cream. mixed as is. they come out awesome!!

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

reply to post by jude11

Buy? What's that?

Puhleeeaze! Don't rub it in!

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

reply to post by jude11

Buy? What's that?

Puhleeeaze! Don't rub it in!

Try them out!

I make so many that I can have a batch in the oven within 5-10 minutes on a good day.

Not hard at all. When you get the hang of it, you'll never go back to the store...

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Okay.
. I will try them. I can cook/bake when I want to and these sound worth the effort.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

reply to post by jude11

Okay.
. I will try them. I can cook/bake when I want to and these sound worth the effort.

Then try the biscuits after you're done.

I usually split the batch, make the buns and throw some cheese and onions into the remainder for some savory dippin' biscuits. Great with that squirrel stew!

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist

Squirrel stew, hee hee!

Much thanks Jude

Eta; I gather from some of your posts you are a seasoned baker. Do you have a book? I'd love a good scone recipe as well as a southern bread pudding recipe.

My wife and friends have been after me to do a book or at least a blog but I just haven't got down to finding the time. I'm leaning towards fine tuning my baking to do it all out doors. That's my passion.

This recipe is very similar to scones and if you want just add a little more sugar and mix further for a good scone. For this size, add 4 cups of whatever you like. I like white chocolate and raspberries myself. I really don't do the normal scones as this recipe is very versatile for many things.

Bread pudding...that's my wife's department and I have to tell you that she is the master!

We put a price tag of $39 on ours last year and pre-sold. Sold out 1 week before xmas.

I'll see if she wants to put that recipe out there but I have a feeling that she'll shoot me if I get too near her side of the baker's table...

Good Luck!

new topics

top topics

join