It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children in need - National Adoption Awareness Month

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Each year, November is recognized as National Adoption Awareness Month. While all adoption-related issues are important, the particular focus of this month is the adoption of children currently in foster care.

www.adopting.org...

Adoption is not for everyone but there are many other ways than adopting that help children in need.

for me, it is to be an advocate and activist for this cause and that’s why I would like to tell a bit about my story:

I was born in an ‘underprivileged’ country where many parents had difficulty raising their children. laws might have changed, but I remember that children often were brought up by other family members or close friends who had the means to do so – without legal implications, on trust and duty of care value only. those children I know of never lost touch with their original families nor respect or love for them. as adults they are part of extended families.

I am an orphan myself. I never knew my birth father. I met him briefly before he died. he told me that there was not a day in his life that he had not thought of me.
and all my life I have difficulties with my father (step father). but that is not to say, that I don’t appreciate my situation. it is not easy. for sure. but then again, whose life is all easy?
I look at my difficulties with my father as difficulties any child/parent would have. we still learn and grow with each other. although there are topics we never discuss – sometimes a vague hint to ease our pain. yes, there is pain on both sides, we both made very hurtful remarks in these regards when we were younger. now we seem to care more to cherish, love and nurture each other.

there is something else I would like to share with you:
I as a child have never felt specific gratitude to be brought up in an 'adoptive' situation (i am not actually adopted either). I didn’t understand it very well either. I always felt it normal to be looked after.
maybe this is as it should be. maybe it is because my father was mostly too busy to care otherwise. both our attitudes of course have ‘two sides’. however the things may be, I am glad things are as they are in my case.

How about the thousands of children today orphaned by war and other catastrophes ? How about thousands of potential parents with pain in their hearts ?

What can be done ? Can you help in any way ? Are there any needy children near you ? Could you donate towards the education of an underprivileged youth without direct or personal reward ?

the education and care of our children is the future of the world.

edit on 13-11-2011 by bestintentions because: (no reason given)

join