It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to use a map and a compass to get where you want to be

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
This article covers the basics of compass navigation with a non-lensatic style compass. It's the easiest type to use for a beginner, so read up.

Navigation basics

Here's an article on how a lensatic compass works, and how to use it for navigation.

part 1

part 2

Part 2 is describing how to use a line of sight you take with the compass, to find your position. It's a more accurate method than used in the first article, as it does not rely on your body being at a certain landmark.

part 3

Part 3 describes how to tie up part 1 and 2, and use them for navigation sort of like the non-lensatic guide. I recommend you use the simple compass first, then move up to a lensatic compass.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I usually use the position of the sun, and some in head mathematics. or the constellations in the night sky in relevance of where I am, to figure out where I am and going. Yay for science. I do not need a compass, although they do come in handy

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Alchemicflames

That method is good for finding things large, like the east coast.
Using a lensatic compass for navigation can get you on something as small as a parked vehicle if you're good enough.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
A good way to find the angle of declination to adjust for magnetic polar drift is
the shadow stick method.

Shadow stick method

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
try learning to read a map before you start confuseing yourselves with different compass techniques

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Well, I am going to read this article that you have put out, and take it into my what if end of the world scenarios, it might come in handy.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
If you're in the wilds - find yourself lost - then pull out your compass and map...it's already too late. Start with the compass and the map......and a watch.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by da pickles

Reading a topographical map is taught to every child that's gone through middle school.
It's actually required learning. Some may need a refresher though.

new topics

top topics

join