It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters Coming Down With the "Zuccotti Lung"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Time for moms chicken soup! It has got to be getting funky in those damp tents by now!

With wintry weather poised to swoop into the cramped outdoor quarters of Occupy Wall Street protesters, it may not be long before more campers catch what's being called "Zuccotti lung."

That's what demonstrators have dubbed the sickness that seems to be spreading among them at an unpleasantly high rate these days: "It's a real thing," Willie Carey, 28, told the New York Times.

With little sleep in cold conditions, cigarettes and drinks being passed from mouth to mouth, and few opportunities to wash hands, Zuccotti Park may now just be the best place to catch respiratory viruses, norovirus (also known as the winter vomiting virus) and tuberculosis, according to one doctor.

The damp clothing and cardboard signs wet with rain are also breeding grounds for mold. Some protesters are urinating in bottles and leaving food trash discarded throughout the campground, providing further opportunities for nastiness.

“Pretty much everything here is a good way to get sick,” Salvatore Cipolla, 23, from Long Island, told the Times. “It’ll definitely thin the herd.”

Link

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

Wow...I wonder if this is just "propaganda" put out by the media to "discredit" the movement. I am not putting the protesters down, but man, they need to take care of themselves. I don't know what kind of environment they really are living in, but it seems to be a breeding ground for germs. I wonder what other kind of "communicable diseases" are being passed around. This is why I stay away from large crowds of people. It would be a great way for some kind of pandemic type illness to sweep through. Thats why the one thing that got me about the whole article you linked was this....

Some protesters have refused free flu shots, citing a "government conspiracy," the Times said.

I also wonder how many of them are members here?

Anyway, stay safe out there, and take care.
edit on 13-11-2011 by Veritas1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   

edit on 13-11-2011 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

Already posted days ago....twice.

The exact same article.

People are really going uot of their way to keep this story going.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
What will happen next is these lowlifes will try to sue the city for this illness, when they bought it on themselves!!!

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments, queries or concerns to the ongoing discussion.

Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

top topics

join