It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

depopulation, a necessary evil???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
ive read a few threads on ATS recently about depopulation. they vary in the ways in which it is happening and the reasons why, here are 2 examples of such threads....

depopulation 1
depopulation 2

this is a little theory i thought of the other day and thought that some people on here might like to hear it.

heres a few facts to start us off.
the earths popualtion has experienced continuous growth since1350 and is currently around 7 billion, and is estimated to be around 9 billion by 2040 predicted population.
obviously the earth has limited space and resources so the maximum sustainable population has been predicted as only a few billion (1-5 billion depending on your source), which means we are already overpopulated.

the only sollution to this problem is to migrate to other planets and set up a 'home away from home', the closest and most obvious choice for such a project would be mars.
Governments have already been considering the idea of terraforming and populating mars, this article says it will take decades but some other sources say it could take centuries.

taking all this into consideration, something needs to be done to control the increase in popualtion untill such time that we can spread out onto new worlds, if not then we could see a very bleek future for the human race due to overpopulation and lack of resources.

of course TPTB cant just tell us this info and explain why we need to depopulate because killing people ,for whatever reason, is always considered 'evil'.
think of it like euthanasia, ending someones life to end their suffering, but in this case its ending the lives of many to prevent future suffing of the human race as a whole.

the moral dillema is obvious, do you sacrifice the few to save the many, and if so, how do you decide who to sacrifice.

im not saying that depopulation is happening and if it is im not saying that it is the correct thing to do, my question is, if it is happening could this is the reason? and would it be a necessary evil?
edit on 13/11/2011 by DaveNorris because: spelling

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Depopulation is not evil in itself. In fact it can be quite natural. It is the cause that can be evil. The word for that is mass murder, genocide, etc...and that is never necessary and always evil.

Some people might say ""but but but population is getting out of control and people are going to suffer if we do not euthanize some of them" or some such ridiculous thing, The response is to trace back to why the population turned into a population bomb. It may be directly traceable to greed. Fossil fuels are the primary reason that humanity has swelled in the past century. They are used for everything from fertilizer to food additives. If oil supplies dropped just a few percent it would be a worldwide catastrophe. Think about it like this: if your body lost perhaps 15% of its water within a relatively rapid span of time you are at risk of death. Oil and man is a very analogous relationship.
edit on 13-11-2011 by jcord because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-11-2011 by jcord because: added "few"

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
No not at all and even if it were needed to be the done,i'm sure the b*stards who have told us about this so called ''overpopulation problem'' would love to go first...........they are are old afterall.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
i think the majority of us realise that some control over earths population needs to be maintained... ideally all the countries of the world would agree on this and perhaps regulate the population for a few generations, ... as disagreeable as this could be, the only real solution that i can see is to limit reproduction to 1 child around the world, like china did/has.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyteeny

i agree that this would work as a short term sollution but i doubt that many people would willingly conform to this as it detracts from their freedom and it would probably cause a lot of civil unrest. TPTB would more than likely want a sollution that is less public
edit on 13/11/2011 by DaveNorris because: spelling

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Of course not. The UNs own numbers show how the population will start to decline in the near future. And if it was essential to depopulate then there are far more humane ways to achieve this and with public support. To just start killing people will involve killing loads of other species also through poisons and GM. The very fact they are using GM foods should ring alarm bells, gm is not to depopulate but to change what humans are.

TPTB are trying to split the human race into two seperate species. Check the bbc article if you dont believe me about how humans will split into two. They say in 100,000 years but this is disinfo, it will be happening much, much sooner, we are talking in the next couple of decades. The radiation we are seeing is also an direct attack on our DNA.
edit on 13-11-2011 by TheMindWar because: Typo

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Wealth and health result in a decline of birthrates. All that is needed is for the whole world to improve the living conditions for all its citizens. Now with limited resources this means a far fairer method than current market economies........Oh dear. So a non starter with so many greedy people in the world.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by jcord

i was refering to intentional depopulation and yes it is always evil.
my question was, could it be necessary?
your statement about our dependance on fossil fuels is the exact point i was making, we depend on resources like this so much that when they run out we will be in deep trouble, depopulation would decrease the rate at which these resources are used and provide us with more time to implament a more long-term solution.

just to clarify, i do think it is evil and i dont think it is necessary. im just trying to stimulate a healthy conversation on this subject

edit on 13/11/2011 by DaveNorris because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I do tend to believe that peaceful depopulation, or more like population stabilisation (regulating reproduction instead of killing people) is necessary to eliminate poverty and live in accordance with resources on this planet.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by malcr

your right, there are ways in wich the population could be controlled that is more humane but that would meen that TPTB would have to give up some of their power and wealth which we all know is something that they would never willingly do, hence all of the 'cloak and dagger' stuff.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
www.indexmundi.com...

This site would appear to show UK and USA birth rate has dropped and is dropping (especially in Europe)

It appears that in the UK at least it is far easier for people on welfare to have many children than it is for working couples who have little time or money to afford having children. I think steps may have to be taken in order to stop welfare payments for people after their first child and to support as much as possible working couples who want to have a child.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
we do not need to depopulate.
Nature knows when it's time to cull the population down of any species, she has done it for a millenium.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66
we do not need to depopulate.
Nature knows when it's time to cull the population down of any species, she has done it for a millenium.

Exactly, like the Bubonic Plague in the middle ages.

When a population gets too large, the infrastructure cannot sustain them any longer and they die off in mass naturally due to things like starvation, disease, etc.

Also technology level is a major factor, better technology can sustain larger populations. For example the advent of modern refrigeration has led to a vast increase in available food, and gave room for major increases in population growth.

Instead of utilizing short-sighted murder to lower the population, people should open their minds for a minute and invent something useful or innovate upon what already exists. By increasing our technological level we can increase the amount of sustainability.

In the distant future, with highly advanced technologies, the Earth is large enough to hold over 100 billion humans AND their technology would allow them to have a ecological footprint one tenth the size of our population today.

The problem is our wastefulness, how much food gets thrown away? How much garbage gets tossed about?

If we could solve problems like curbing our wastefulness, there would be plenty more to go around and it would improve the living conditions of all humans plus all of the animals and plants we throw our garbage on.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Also at the same time I do support freedom.

So anyone who believes that Earth needs to be depopulated have 100% rights to depopulate themselves (but no one else please).

If you don't depopulate yourself, yet espouse that ideology, than you have zero credibility.

edit on 13-11-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
The Earth is NOT overpopulated.

What we do experience is a Population density problem.

Just a few fun facts to open peoples eyes to the actual population of the Earth.

If you can take EVERY person on the Earth and stand them in a Military style formation they would ALL fit in the City limits of Houston, Texas.

If you divided the World’s population in family units of 4 and gave them a normal 1500 sgft house on a normal suburban quarter acre lot, they ALL could fit into HALF of the State of Texas.

So, No the Earth is far from an Overpopulation problem.

There is no doubt that we have population density problem along with resource distribution problems, but these are political and greed based.

edit on 13-11-2011 by brokedown because: spelling correction

edit on 13-11-2011 by brokedown because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-11-2011 by brokedown because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-11-2011 by brokedown because: grammer correction

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Isn't like 99% of Earth's landmass unpopulated?

I've never really gotten what the problem is. Sounds like a bunch of misanthropists spreading the misery.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by brokedown

Nope, why do people always talk about density when overpopulation topic surfaces? We do not have population density problem, it does not matter what the density is, overpopulation is NOT about density. Its about carrying capacity and resources. A desert can be overpopulated even when there are a few people living relatively far apart. A rich land would not be overpopulated even with New York city density. On Earth, its not those first world areas with the highest population density such as cities that are overpopulated, because they can sustain good quality of life for their inhabitants. Its third world areas. In fact, with increased density, resources can be utilised more effectively, so it may decrease overpopulation problems.

There is no doubt that we have population density problem along with resource distribution problems, but these are political and greed based.

Are they? Without mentioning political and economic systems, just purely resources, how many Earths would we need if everyone on this planet lived with western quality of life? And how long would it be sustainable?

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Just to be clear, I dont think depopulation is a good idea, I was just suggesting what might be a reason behind it if it is happening.

maybe I should of thought of a better title lol

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by brokedown

Its not just about living space, you need space for agriculture, industry, mining etc etc

what im getting at is that untill such time that we can aquire more land mass ie colonising mars, then certain governments might see population control as a short term sollution and because of the nature of these supposed events they are plan and implamented behind closed doors

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Sorry, double post
edit on 13/11/2011 by DaveNorris because: double post

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join