It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Live feed for Portland Occupy protests (they are due to be evicted, by police, at midnight tonight).

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

Appears to be a wash. ( nothing happening. ) Violence does work. There's prolly very few protesters out there without violent images etched in their memories, of the past performances of the police nationwide.

Kent state. You literally take your life in your hands upon attendance. It would be hard to let my kids go to one.
I wouldn't stop them. But I would at least, put them thru a tutorial and departing lecture. Of course I would only be talking myself into worrying a lot more.

Ya I know. I would end up on top of a building some where spying on 'em. Violating their rights and I'd be the only
one arrested out of the whole protest.

Over protective Dad arrested for stocking.

Film at eleven.

edit on 13-11-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

The people controlling the general assembly which caused the dispersion and confusion were either infiltrators or cowards afraid to get hurt. Those speaking on the bullhorns made it sound like there was no choice but to leave, which totally missed the point of occupy... It's a shame.

I don't know, 'occupy' to me can mean maintaing a presence outside(in public), gathering and camping, so I would not look at the voluntary moving as a defeat, but rather a middle ground to keep the protest alive. The bulk of people aren't going home with their heads hung low, they are just moving to another area. I can understand your point too, but I would call it a win win at this point because the protesters are still protesting and the cops aren't cracking any skulls.
Until the police attempt to shut the whole thing down, and what type of response occurs I will reserve judgement.

ETA: Well football games is starting, sorry American revolution, gotta go with American distraction for now, back to you ED.

edit on 13-11-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Yeah, while watching two streams you could clearly see the confusion among the protesters when the votes were being taken to move.

They should have been "all in or all out". This is absolutley where they went wrong. They did not stay strong within their group.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Pioneer Sq. is not meant to be occupied (I don't think) and if that is the plan, I sincerely doubt that will be allowed. My understanding is that the square is meant to re-group and decide how to move forward. They needed to get out of the street, this is a good decision in my opinion.

edit on 13-11-2011 by zynga2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal

Originally posted by CREAM
This is a let down, when they were reciting the constitution earlier I thought most were gonna stand their ground....

Standing your ground does not mean forcing a violent confrontation. It means not giving up on your cause. If you feel "let down" I have to ask why your need for bloodshed? If you feel so strongly about the protesters confronting police, why are you not on the front line yourself?

"Standing your ground does not mean forcing a violent confrontation" I only encourage violence in self defense. And, as we've seen in Berkly, standing your ground does mean violent confrontation(where the police are the ones using violence), the police will beat you until you move.

I don't live in Portland, no major protest going on where I am. For the time being I feel like I can do more through social media, I work with the internet side of things with a number of groups to get people educated about the issues, I have converted many people to seeing the truth about the fed etc. When # hits the fan I'll be out there no doubt, if I went to Berkly I would join them to for their planned occupy thing to.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
www.katu.com...
www.kgw.com...
www.livestream.com...
occupyportland.org...
www.therightscoop.com...

Links to various streams for those that want them. They're going down and being brought back up often.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I am still here. Just getting into the live stream.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
reply to post by CREAM

The people controlling the general assembly which caused the dispersion and confusion were either infiltrators or cowards afraid to get hurt. Those speaking on the bullhorns made it sound like there was no choice but to leave, which totally missed the point of occupy... It's a shame.

I don't know, 'occupy' to me can mean maintaing a presence outside(in public), gathering and camping, so I would not look at the voluntary moving as a defeat, but rather a middle ground to keep the protest alive. The bulk of people aren't going home with their heads hung low, they are just moving to another area. I can understand your point too, but I would call it a win win at this point because the protesters are still protesting and the cops aren't cracking any skulls.
Until the police attempt to shut the whole thing down, and what type of response occurs I will reserve judgement.

Yeah, I get your point. I was just watching earlier and the police were telling people to move, or else they would use force. The people ended up moving. If they stayed the police probably would have used force and the protesters would have had a chance to stand their ground and show their balls, like Scott Olsen did.

"Orders? You giving me orders? Amigo, the only thing in this world that gives orders is balls. Balls. You got that?" - Scarface, even know this is from a movie, Tony Montana was right about that.
edit on 13-11-2011 by CREAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by zynga2
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Pioneer Sq. is not meant to be occupied (I don't think) and if that is the plan, I sincerely doubt that will be allowed. My understanding is that the square is meant to re-group and decide how to move forward. They needed to get out of the street, this is a good decision in my opinion.
edit on 13-11-2011 by zynga2 because: (no reason given)

The Square is a weird area of Portland because it's run by the city and it's also quasi private as well. There is also the MAX lines that could be interrupted.. There is also the Christmas Tree being assembled in the Square right now.. the Board of Directors of the Square are going to raise holy hell if they end up there.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
ustream

Ustream here for those that do not want to see the news cut away from the police using tear gas.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Not to mention how easy it will be for the police to circle and trap the people in the square, if they choose to. Not sure I'd want to be there, without a clear exit...

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by zynga2

Agreed.. they should go to University Parks.

Or.... stay where they are?
edit on 11/13/2011 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Not to mention how easy it will be for the police to circle and trap the people in the square, if they choose to. Not sure I'd want to be there, without a clear exit...

Well, if the protesters want to show they are brave, that may very well be the best place for them to go after all...

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

I'd rather not watch idiots try and climb the Christmas Tree........

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

I disagree. They should go to the Waterfront. Disruption in the university area will not be welcome and it's rather unfair to the thousands of people who work and study and live up there. Talk about pissing off the community that you would want behind the movement. I really think that is a bad choice.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by zynga2

Not be welcome? Last night I watched 3 different PSU Proffs give their opinion (all in favor) at the protests. Water front is to big and open.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by zynga2

Then they lose.
They lost the parks and by moving out they lost the street around the parks?

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
They could always head to the South Park Blocks as well, a very long but narrow park.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
These protestors have shown an amazing resolve to remain non-violent.

To think that many angry people could collaborate peacefully.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

I disagree. They should go to the Waterfront. Disruption in the university area will not be welcome and it's rather unfair to the thousands of people who work and study and live up there. Talk about pissing off the community that you would want behind the movement. I really think that is a bad choice.

If the students there are as bad-ass as those from Berkly, or the ones from my college (OWS is widely supported on my campus, I have seen some anonymous style posters on my campus too, plus some people covered their faces for 11.11.11 for the anon operation), an university may be the best place.
www.youtube.com...

edit on 13-11-2011 by CREAM because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join