It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Superhydrophobic spray means no more clothes to wash

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I stumbled across this and thought I should share it here.

Ross Technology Corp has developed a silicone based, nanoparticle product that repels liquids and can be applied to clothing. Soon you will be able to make all your clothing water and stain proof.

Some other uses I can think of are:

Make your windshield able to repel water and maybe bugs.
Make your deck weather proof.
Keep bathroom mirrors from fogging up.

What else could something like this be useful for?

Metal corrodes when it comes into contact with liquid such as water, so Ross engineers set about coming up with a coating to keep liquid away from the steel. What they ended up with is a silicon-based spray that not only kept steel dry, it could also be applied to many different surfaces and materials.

NeverWet is being turned into a consumer product and will see a release next year, but we should also start seeing it applied to products too. Shoes that can’t get dirty, ovens that don’t need cleaning, and clothes you never need to wash hopefully (a personal dream of mine).

Geek.com

edit on 12-11-2011 by N3k9Ni because: forgot the link

edit on 12-11-2011 by N3k9Ni because: typo

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

Sounds a little ambitious, and like another solution to things that already exist. We have many ways of keeping metal from rusting already, and not washing clothing will never happen, although right now the things used on dickies make them very resistant to everything.

The real end all solution to metal corrosion will be when we figure out how to make steel and iron oxidize in the same way aluminum does. Aluminum doesn't pit as it oxidizes, and forms it's own ever lasting corrosion resistant coating.
edit on 12-11-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

Never washing clothing might be a bit of a stretch. I think it's an interesting idea, though, and could have a lot of useful applications.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
OMG I want this stuff! My shoes will look new forever!!

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Sounds Really Cool!

Maybe its the mood I'm in...

The corporation that invents it will BS the science and
bribe the regulators so we will think it's safe.

It will probably poison the planet. We'll all die with clean clothes.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Good for Camping equipment.
Hypothermia prevention, when used on clothes.
A survival item.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Wow You could wear the same pair of boxer shorts or panties for over a year and they would still be clean nice!!!!

NOT!

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Good for Camping equipment.
Hypothermia prevention, when used on clothes.
A survival item.

That's a good one. Never even crossed my mind.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Maybe now I can stop buying new socks every time I need a pair. Weird habit of mine.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Looks good, but why didn't he try smearing it in?

Is it not possible for a human to overcome the repelling forces of superhydrophobic spray? I think I'm going to start lifting weights.

Originally posted by studio500
Wow You could wear the same pair of boxer shorts or panties for over a year and they would still be clean nice!!!!

NOT!

I guess your going to have to cave in to taking more bathes
edit on 12-11-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Sounds like a good product with numerous applications. Are there any nano products in the actual market right now? Just curious, because I would imagine we are going to start seeing more and more nanotech in everyday products. I wonder how the particles react when they get on your skin? I know they are not alive(not yet
) but do they get into you system, and if so what happens to them. Do they decay, pass or just remain floating around as inactive matter.

There was a product a few months ago thread that utilized nano particles for a spray liquid glass solution. Basically you could use a spray pump bottle(not aerosol) to apply a mist of glass particles that bonded and made for a perfect surface, that protects and is easily cleaned. It was going to 'revolutionize' something or another. I never heard anything else about it and I sometimes wonder when these revolutionary products/innovations come to light, do they pose such a threat to other industries that in reaction other industries provide forces to oppose, suppress, or discredit these new technologies?

Peace,
spec

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I wonder if this could be applied to my driveway. No more snow shoveling?

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
y stop at clothes how bout our entire bodies

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegoods724
y stop at clothes how bout our entire bodies

Couldn't that make sweat just run off and make you overheat?

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by thegoods724

Because that would be as smart as plugging up your rectum and urethra, unless you could figure out how to perform those functions through your mouth and nose.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron
Looks good, but why didn't he try smearing it in?

Is it not possible for a human to overcome the repelling forces of superhydrophobic spray? I think I'm going to start lifting weights.

NOT!

I guess your going to have to cave in to taking more bathes

Lol, I'm a clean freak really lol but it does make one wonder where all those bodily excretions and clingons would end up lol
Yuukky Mukky

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Skid marks peel right off!!!

There has already been products on the market for years that waterproof fabrics, leathers and other items. One is called Vectra, and whatever you spray it on will make the item water and stain proof. It even withstands washing. It has been around for years, so it is nothing new, unless it somehow provides significantly more protection than whatever else is already on the market. In regards to metals, unless it molecularly alters the outside of the metal, I can't see it being permanent once applied.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

What else could something like this be useful for?

for one a super efficient bearing system made practically out of plastic, boats, irrigation, after that im not sure

cool post

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

NOT!

Imagine how g-strings would look after not washing for a year.

I mean, if the premise of the headline is true, you would have 1 single piece of dental floss that you could reuse hundreds of times. eww.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

Most clothes stains are oil based so I wouldn't hope for never washing again.
Sorry to burst your dream. You will do laundry for the rest of your life.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join