It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ATTACKS: Special Forces Storm Russian School After Explosives Detonated

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Russian Special forces have stormed the school in Beslan, Southern Russia, where hundreds of school children had been held hostage.
The Tass news agency has reported that government forces are now in control of the school. More than 150 children have been taken to the hospital thus far. The bodies of five children were discovered in the school once Russian officials gained control of the building.

Sky News Report

A report from a man who had been a hostage states there was an explosion heard within the building and then a wall collapsed followed by gunfire and "many more explosions".

Several hostage takers have reportedly escaped, taking some children with them.

Reporters on the scene are telling of ongoing heavy gunfire and continuing large explosions. It is unknown whether the explosions coming from in and around the school are from Russian troops, insurgents or both.

Many wounded are being brought out of the school at this time and rushed to medical facilities.

Two hours into the taking of the school by Russian troops, the battle continues to intensify. Major explosions, long periods of heavy automatic weapons fire. Large numbers of troops continue to approach the school.

The news was broken by a team of reporters risking their lives to bring the world pictures of this siege, they should arrive in time to make the evening news broadcasts in the UK and will probably be carried worldwide.

TV crews put their lives at risk today to provide dramatic reports from inside the Russian school siege in which more than 100 people were reported to have been killed and more than 400 injured.

ITV, the BBC and Sky News all managed to get into the school grounds to provide close-up pictures of the chaotic scenes around the gym where bodies of the hostages were said to have been piled up.

ITV cleared its schedule to cover the unfolding horror with a virtual non-stop running commentary from veteran Julian Manyon, who was crouched outside the gym for the entire hour and a half of the special bulletin.

BBC correspondent Jonathan Charles and Sky News' Rachel Amatt also risked their lives to bring live reports from the scene.

A BBC spokesman said Charles narrowly avoided being shot as a bullet whizzed past him live on air. News 24 claims to have beaten ITV into the school grounds by around 20 minutes.

MediaGuardian.

[edit on 3-9-2004 by Nerdling]

[edit on 9-4-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Apparently it all started with two loud explosions, spetnaz and alpha troops are storming the building reports of the parts of the roof have caved in. School kids are being brought out from the school up to at least a hundred or so plus now some covered in blood others are half naked.

I have seen some burnt at least 4 army helicopters are flying over head And 15 casualties maybe more, reports are that rebels are trying to escape from the school and the fighting is still going on. Now it�s saying that Russian commanders are entering the building, explosions and sustained gunfire are still being heard.

Its now saying they have full control over the school 100 special forces have been seen running towards the school, 20 rebels are reported to be killed 10 Arabs are among the 20 dead militans. Tass reports are now saying that 13 hostage takers may have escaped possibly taking some children with them as well.

Reports now say that up to 409 injured 219 of which are children 5 critical, at least 100 are dead 60 of which have been identified at a hospital 23 bodies lieing dead out side 17 of those are children. (Interfax)

Further fighting has continued outside the school around 40m from the gym area with gunfire and explosions. Hostage takers have been seen near the south of Beslan near the rail junction also smoke has been spotted coming from the school area. The 13 escaped are held up in a building and were being shelled by Russian troops in a residential area.

Exclusive news ITV cameraman sacha lomakin saw 100 dead bodies in the school gym maybe that�s now been confirmed.

Interfax now says that all the hostages have been taken out from the school. But fighting continueing with troops up to 3 militants are thought to be baracaded in the basement of the school and some children are still being held hostage with Russian troops fighting to free them.

Links
BBC NEWS
Russian presidency
At a glance: Russian school siege
Eyewitness: Frayed nerves and fear

[edit on 3/9/2004 by SE7EN]

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 05:22 AM
link   
www.sky.com...

Russian special forces have stormed the school where hundreds of hostages are being held.

Dozens of hostage are fleeing the building as a major battle breaks out between the Russian army and the gang holding the group.

The Tass news agency reports that around 100 special forces soldiers are now in "almost complete control" of the school.

Some of the gunmen may have escaped, it is reported.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Many of the children are naked and caked in blood.

Other hostages were pulled free and collapsed on the ground outside, exhausted, shocked and disorientated.

The fate of the people remaining in the school is not known - it is thought up to 1,500 hostages were being held.

The building's roof is reported to have collapsed.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 3-9-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 05:28 AM
link   
go to news.bbc.co.uk... and click on live video of this story

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Escaped with russians soilders around the school?

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 05:32 AM
link   
5-6 hostage takers have escaped, taking some children with them
Siege is still ongoing.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Among the hostage takers were 2 woman who had bombs. They blew themselves up earlyer, which killed +- 20 men, who are still lieing in the school.

As the army tried to take them out of the school, the hostage takers started shooting.
According to the russian army, there was an agreement about this, but I think the russian army just provoked this shooting to have an excuse to end this.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Heavy gunfire & loud explosions still ongoing.
Many children being taken out on stretchers.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Everyone in the UK, watch BBC1 right now. they have constant live coverage.

Lots more explosions, lots, but not sure where from, or whos taking control

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Apperantly the terrorists that escaped took off any clothes that would immediately give them away. They blended in with the fleeing hostages.

I doubt they are free for long though. They'll be caught I hope.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Im still watching 5 news stations an updateing my origanl thread in this one with new information given out.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Look, it gets to the point where people hunt for fowel, they cower, little boys get smacked. I told you Russians are ready. You have no idea the rush of this plain.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 05:51 AM
link   
the kidnappers who tried to escape were shot almost immediately, apparently

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 05:52 AM
link   
The Russians are now in control, the rebels are fleeing...........again, apparently. Not even the news knows the integrity of all their sources, but reports suggest that the hostages are all but defeat. I don't think they've got a wild card, I think they are going to give up - but it could all go up in flames if the terrorists decide to give it everything, they could do a lot of damage in the end....

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 05:54 AM
link   
BBC reporting TASS saying rebel flee to railway junction to south of town heavy gun battle on going at school

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 05:58 AM
link   
A lot of times people claim to be some-# they ain't. A lot of people ask questions of me, and I answer; I say I'm broken at yer farce.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by chebob
the kidnappers who tried to escape were shot almost immediately, apparently

The only language islamic/terrorists understand.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 06:02 AM
link   
LOADS more explosions and gunfire, it's relentless, somethings going down. I can hear missiles too............RPGs likely.

And Jack MArting, whatever your taking, I want a BIG stash of it right now

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Several massive explosions. Large plumes of smoke. Largest explosions yet, according to on-scene reporter.
Heavy machine gun fire.
Troops running like mad towards the school.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Russians are ready for the rest of us, if you have half a thought, ready...if you have half a thought...

It pisses me off that western people undermine the Russian will.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join