It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are people really "waking up"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/d7fb099b13844d56.jpg[/atsimg]

"Waking up" is hard to define and means different things to different people. But to take the widest possible meaning, let's consider it roughly as follows:

-Realizing that what you thought was true and normal about the world three or five years ago is no longer true.

-Questioning what "everyone knows." Re-evaluating fundamental assumptions.

-No longer believing the mass media or academic explanations. Realizing they lie and have ulterior motives.

-Realizing that there is more to the picture than it first appeared.

-Seeking new ideas - politically, spiritually, intellectually.

-Looking beyond yourself and your daily life, and trying to grapple with "the bigger picture."

Let's be clear: I'm not really talking about ATS people, but people in wider society. "Sheeple," if you will.

Are they finally waking up? Or is it just wishful thinking.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
No.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I think the process is always in effect as we all learn, grow and become aware. Certainly this occurs at different paces, but with the growing popularity of social networks and the interwebz becoming available in more areas around the globe, the pace of this 'waking' is increasing, imo. I see waking as becoming aware, and these days, it is happening at a rampant pace. So yes, people are waking up, by the definitions you provided. I think the amount of protests going on around the world are a testament to collective awakening, and again it has to do with becoming aware.

peace,
spec

ETA: I would add that questioning what one has been taught could also be considered waking up, and think there is a lot of that going on too.
edit on 12-11-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

Good post. I wouldn't say they are waking up. I would say that they are becoming conspiracy theorists. They are becoming skeptical (or sceptical) of the modus operandi.

Waking up, for me, is a spiritual overwhelming awakening.

When people start to question, they start to realize that many things are wrong. They start inquiring. And they start seeing conspiracies where truth existed beforehand.

Just my 2 canadian cents...

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I was very optomistic and thought that we were seeing a broader awakening of many people, but I have become much more skeptical about that over the last couple monthes.

People are realizing that the world is not what it seems, but they are still stuck in the same constructed "box" they were in before. Their new perspective is just a matter of going from one corner of the box to another, yet still confined within.

I, myself, cannot even claim to be truly enlightened. What do I know?
edit on 12-11-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I wouldn't say people are waking up...I'd say this 'waking up' process is a rite of passage and is a sign that individuals are growing up. Wasn't it great when you were younger, when you thought that those in positions of authority or power actually knew what they were doing. There's a certain comfort in that belief system. Maturing into adulthood also cruelly dislodges the idealistic youthful, rose tinted mask that colours our perspective - exposing us to the cold and cynical light of day.
edit on 12-11-2011 by christina-66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Thinking that I used to think that I was the only one that thought the way that I do until I come on the web and discovered that I was not alone...

edit on 12-11-2011 by intrptr because: embellished

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Yes, I do think MORE people are waking up. At different paces though. I've had a colleague who flatly refuses any other explanation than that of the MSM (if its in black and white, then it must be true!). Other people find something that simply jolts them awake real fast! Some are also "selectively" awake - preferring to ignore those pesky truths that warrants a total mind shift. So, awake? Yes. But what is the point if nothing is done about it? Is it sufficient to be "aware"?

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

edit on 12-11-2011 by Gatto because: Sorry! The cat hit the reply button...twice!

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I think about 5% of the population of the US is waking up.

People who "wake up" may have a few friends that join them but because of the internet can find others around the country and around the world that feel like they do.

For that reason they get a sense that more people are questioning everything than really are.

I think the total lie that was the Bush Administration forced many Americans to wake up.

The stolen 2000 election.

The lie of 9/11.

The lie of Iraq war.

The lie of Jessica Lynch.

The lie of Pat Tillman.

The stolen 2004 election.

The lie of Valerie Plame.

The lie of the economy.

The lie of Bernie Madoff.

The lie of Obama change.

The lie of Penn State.

The lie of Libya.

The lie of Zionism.

If a person is paying attention they can not face the fact that we are lied to constantly and we have to wake up to it.

Most people want to stay in the dream and not wake up.
edit on 12-11-2011 by BRAVO949 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I have managed to wake up some family and friends through conversation and email links to this site (I've actually been quite surprised what my grandparents know). Some are very interested and share with their friends. Some just agree but go on with everyday life. Some look at you like your talking in a foreign language. It can be difficult trying to change people views from a local perspective to a global. I just continue sending links in texts and e-mails whether they look at them or not.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Some have been awake for awhile . If you want to use being vocal as waking up then yes .

The stereotype from some of being seen and not heard is still out there .

edit on 12-11-2011 by watchdog8110 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
More and more people are realising the mess we are in. Whether people care enough to do anything about it remains to be seen. Take a look at the Christmas period coming up. See how people will still be spending tons on credit, to make sure their kids are happy on Christmas day. Christmas is now just a celebration of consumerism and it will be just as big this year as ever.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Yes, they are waking up. And a little while, when they are tired again, they will go back to sleep.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Well, I think people are waking up, worldwide demonstrations are quite showing it.

Most people when asked in 2010 about MSM, corporations control over the population, wars for oil and money, most people would have kept their ears shut. Now people want to know more, they know that we have been distracted for decades!

Kind of a personal story, but for me a BIG sign of awakening is with my dad that started to question the reliability of the MSM after following the news unquestionably for decades. Maybe a bit subjective, but I can sense the change going on.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

The sheepliest of them all, are those who frequently refer to others as 'sheeple'.
There are many of those types, on this site. The blindest of the blind.
I am referring to those who have taken it to the extreme.

At one point, maybe they were 'waking up', but that point has long been passed. Those who actually believe that they know everything, and that all they know, is the absolute truth.

[color=B3D9FF]They feel that everybody else is living life with blinders on.

[color=A9FF9C]Those whom I am speaking of, took off their blinders long ago. They realized that not everything is as it seems. Some of the lies from the past, have been brought into the open, and clearly displayed.

[color=B7FC68]That is partially true, but they now believe that everything is a lie, and that nothing is as it seems. That is just not so.

[color=A9FF9C]Here in reality, there are certain things that really are exactly how they seem. Not everything is complicated. Everything does not have a hidden dark side. Some things just are what they are.

[color=A9FF9C]Eventually they arrive at the point where they can no longer see the vivid simplistic details, that are directly in front of their face.

[color=FFEC8F]You know who you are. Just think about it, and try to understand that 'simple' actually does exist.

edit on 11/12/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join