It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is a forum?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Is a forum a place for the discussion and exchange of ideas? In some cases on ATS, it is obviously not.

In order for there to be a clear understanding of the intent of a thread, is there a way to have it plainly identified as to whether or not opposing views are welcome? It sure would save a lot of time if, when a thread's author only wanted to have discussions with like minded people, there was a tag at the top of the page signifying that.
edit on 12-11-2011 by WTFover because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Simply put, opposing views are welcome on this site whether the OP of a thread likes it or not.

The OP does not make the rules of this site, so really, they have no say. If they don't want opposing views, then they don't need to be posting in an internet forum....

Because no matter what, they will run into opposing view points.

So yes, opposing view points are allowed.

To any OP that does not like opposing view points..... Tough

edit on 12-11-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

If you don't want to hear opposing opinions, perhaps a blog would work for you. Or write a book. By definition, a forum is for people to come together and discuss things. People have different opinions.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Thanks for participating.

I agree, but many times it is obviously a waste of time to present opposing viewpoints. Sometimes, I've even posted replies containing information to encourage critical thinking, even if I don't necessarily agree with its position. Unfortunately, rather than achieving that goal, the post is met with accusations of "troll".

It's not that I have thin skin. It just feels like a huge waste of time to formulate a reasonable response to some of these threads.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

That's what I've always thought, but...

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
A forum is proof that the human race will never have peace because we can never get agreement on anything

If I say "The sun is yellow, the sky is blue and the grass is green" I am willing to bet someone will soon argue that

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
There have been many times when I have posted facts,only to hit a wall of beliefs from ignorant fools.
Then I just throw in the the towel and move on.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
A forum is proof that the human race will never have peace because we can never get agreement on anything

If I say "The sun is yellow, the sky is blue and the grass is green" I am willing to bet someone will soon argue that

I beg to differ,the sun is more of an orange.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

The sun is actually white.It is only after the sun rays enter into the earths atmosphere that they change into different hues of colors.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by brindle

the sad part is you would then be called a "troll" for opposing the view
when in reality, you could be right.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

I also have to dispute the accuracy of the sky being blue.The sky is colorless.A strange mixture of nitrogen,the suns rays and the earths atmosphere gives a false appearance of blue.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Good try OP but this will go nowhere.

The delphi system and the Fabian tactic, are used in such a subtle way, that your simple question, is gently fluffed to the sidelines.

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

The answer to your question is this: A forum in the common parlance, is a database on a server. Said database is owned by some ICANN registrant. End definition.

The old definition of the word, is done. There are no forums, outside the delphi method, there are no uncontrolled forums, because humans uncontrolled, are bad. You see?

Thread move to sidelines or float to the bottom in 3..2..1..

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

So they should.

ETA: None of your answers are always right! Strange people...
edit on 13/11/11 by Pimander because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by WTFover
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Thanks for participating.

I agree, but many times it is obviously a waste of time to present opposing viewpoints. Sometimes, I've even posted replies containing information to encourage critical thinking, even if I don't necessarily agree with its position. Unfortunately, rather than achieving that goal, the post is met with accusations of "troll".

It's not that I have thin skin. It just feels like a huge waste of time to formulate a reasonable response to some of these threads.

But there are those of us who read opposing viewpoints and click on your links because we like to learn things. I have learned several things from the links in the threads. Don't think you are not heard and I have seen people in one thread take an opposing viewpoint to make another thread to counter the first one, within days of losing their discussion. So people do read them.

Someone kept telling me the other day the subject at hand was a debate, which I kept informing them that it was not a debate but a discussion. They learn a few words in speech class, and suddenly every opposing view to them is fallacy. But I know what you mean, and don't worry, people do read your posts and think about them.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Oppossing viewpoints are not just accepted here on ATS, they are a requirement.

Regardless of what the OP states they want in a thread, they are not allowed to state that a certain viewpoint cannot be discussed in their threads.

If insults like troll are thrown around, please alert the posts, staff will have it looked into and removed.

Positive and thought provoking dicussion can only be achieved through differing view points and intelligent debate.

~Keeper

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I disagree with pretty much every single word anyone in this thread has all ready posted and all those members who will post after this. In other words I disagree with all the pre-JPZ posts, and I most assuredly disagree with all the post JPZ posts in this thread. I strongly disagree! I object!

Well...okay, there were some words that you used...words like and, and but, (heh heh heh, WTFover said but) and an, or or. Those words I can find agreement with, but when you get into multisyllabic words I start getting more than a little skeptical.

I noticed that Gimme, and BH and 2th10th also used words like and, and but, and of course, as always I am in agreement with those words, but all the rest? Nope. I am sorry but I cannot agree....

This is the game, my Brother. To find disagreement so that we can struggle for agreement. When played as a game, we begin with rules. This means that in our competition to find agreement, we must first cooperate with rules. Beyond those rules, "Cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war!"

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux
This is the game, my Brother. To find disagreement so that we can struggle for agreement. When played as a game, we begin with rules. This means that in our competition to find agreement, we must first cooperate with rules. Beyond those rules, "Cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war!"

So... what your saying is that skeptics on ATS play word games so they can make an argument?

Hmmm well then I agree

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux

So... what your saying is that skeptics on ATS play word games so they can make an argument?

Hmmm well then I agree

Hmmmm, is this purposeful irony, or ironically accidental that you would hide behind playing word games to play your own word games to justify a jab at skeptics?

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Yes

Ha, ha, ha, ha! If I could star you I would.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join