It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A magnetic filament 700,000 km long from the sun could erupt next days when facing the Earth.The big

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

This could be the biggest CME ever and the end of the electronic civilization.If that filament will erupt then the all the satellites will be destroyed and electric and electronics will be a memory!

GRAND FILAMENT: A filament of magnetism more than 700,000 km long is curling around the sun's northeastern limb. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory photographed the vast structure during the early hours of Nov. 12th:

The filament is weighted down by solar plasma. If it erupts--as such filaments are prone to do--it could fall to the stellar surface below, setting off an explosion called a Hyder flare. Or it might fly upward, hurling fragments of itself into space. Amateur astronomers with solar telescopes are encouraged to monitor the region for developments. The only challenge will be fitting the whole thing into a single field of view. Solar flare alerts: text, voice.(spaceweather.com...)source
edit on 12-11-2011 by diamondsmith because: The sun to come!

edit on 12-11-2011 by diamondsmith because: (no reason given)

+86 more 
posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

Oh good. I was worried we'd go a week without a doomsday prophecy.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
It seems that every week someone post a thread involving a solar flare taking our electrical grid out.
Maybe this time it will happen....yeah right.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
As it turned out, it wasn't the end of electronic civilization. From your source:

CME IMPACT: As predicted, a coronal mass ejection (CME) hit Earth's magnetic field on Nov. 12th at approximately 0600 UT. The impact caused ground currents in Norway and a brief flurry of auroras around the Arctic Circle, but otherwise had little effect. No big geomagnetic storms are in tthe offing. Aurora alerts: text, voice.

GRAND FILAMENT: A filament of magnetism more than 700,000 km long is curling around the sun's northeastern limb. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory photographed the vast structure during the early hours of Nov. 12th:

The most recent news is on top.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

The two snippets are un related, the filament is still intact and is a great sight through my solar scope.

That said it truly is terrible fearmongering in the OP.
End of the electronic age.

edit on 12-11-2011 by pazcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

The filament it's just forming now,when facing the Earth will burst,that CME is from 9 November !

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
As it turned out, it wasn't the end of electronic civilization. From your source:

CME IMPACT: As predicted, a coronal mass ejection (CME) hit Earth's magnetic field on Nov. 12th at approximately 0600 UT. The impact caused ground currents in Norway and a brief flurry of auroras around the Arctic Circle, but otherwise had little effect. No big geomagnetic storms are in tthe offing. Aurora alerts: text, voice.

Charles, the CME impact we received was from a Solar Flare that we had on the 8th of November from region 1334. They take a few days to reach us.

edit on 12-11-2011 by moondancer811 because: Because I can

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

So you are saying the Grand Filament was the cause of the CME that hit the Earth the same day? Don't they take anywhere from 13 hours on?

+8 more 
posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Thank you all. I was wildly wrong and apologize for my ignorance. Thank you all for the lesson.

Charles1952

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I do believe there is a debate over these Hydra Flares and their production of CMEs....so if my understanding is correct (and someone correct me if I am wrong) this news has nothing to do with CMEs.

Nasa report from last night-

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

edit on 12-11-2011 by moondancer811 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by moondancer811

The only thing that human beings cannot predict and control is the Sun!!

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Okay, Sept 25th came and went..... Nov 5th, 8th and now the 11th have come and gone. I was holding some belief for the 11th, because again, it was just SO MANY different things pointing to one day. However, enough.... That is my personal view. In Dec of 2012, if we still have the luxury to worry about dates and what may happen by then, I'll worry again. Until then, ATS is a great source of news, as it always has been, but I'm through getting stressed on events that MAY happen but actually don't 9,999 times out of a thousand tries.

Someone wake me up if that 1 actually happens..THEN I'll be concerned.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Why should I care? If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen.

Then end.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Let's pray that nothing will happen but I am usually right!

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Fair enough...and agreed. If you're right, this might overshadow the Carrington Event and we'd all better watch our Flintstones episodes while there is still time. If you're right on calling this as a major CME in the making, we'll all be living like 'em soon enough...but no worries. Nothing we can do about it, so stress only makes it worse.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

The only thing? Human beings are not as in control as they think they are. Otherwise there would be no natural disasters, there would be no fukushima incidents etc.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Firefly_

Sorry,or what they are thinking to be in control of!!They'r stupidity!!

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Oh, don't get me wrong over whether not I agree that the sun is fickle and unpredictable, I think that's why I love it so much. I am actually happy that we are entering the 24th solar cycle, not because I am a doomsday type person (doomsday could be everyday when it comes to the sun) but because it is interesting and exciting. I was sad to see the 23 solar cycle to end in 2003 so I am thrilled for the next 2-3 years!!

My POINT is simply that you will most likley not see a CME from the Hydra Flare.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by moondancer811

If you can read some graphs you can go to www.imsal,com/solar soft/latest events/,see the solar wind and other parameteres that can give you an idea for the next days!

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

They are not consecutive - they are two different things. Read again.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join