It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Occupy Atlanta' Shelter Tests Positive for Tuberculosis

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

'Occupy Atlanta' Shelter Tests Positive for Tuberculosis

www.foxnews.com

A homeless shelter that has been housing more than 100 "Occupy Atlanta" protesters has tested positive for tuberculosis (TB), WGCL-TV reported Thursday.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
The filthy dirty horde is turning into a disease ridden cesspool in the early hours of an epidemic.
Join now, get your disease today.

This is what will happen to you if you go live in a tent city with strangers all packed in closely together with no sanitary facillities. Of all the millions Soros and his trillionaire buddies paid to organize this shindig, their sheeple were not good enough to spend for outhouses and shower facillities.

www.foxnews.com

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by TinfoilTP

This is such a skewed story! NOBODY who is a part of Occupy Atlanta got TB.

This is a spun story with no basis of truth. Creative Loafing started this rumor, and everybody (self included) has now subjected themselves to a test. IF somebody at the homeless shelter got it, that means nothing. This is a SCREWED UP story!

Occupy Atlanta Website

Another refutation. Again, this is a BULL# story!

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Although these things can happen naturally, I really question these Occupy outbreaks. What next? Cholera?

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine

This is a spun story with no basis of truth. Creative Loafing started this rumor, and everybody (self included) has now subjected themselves to a test. IF somebody at the homeless shelter got it, that means nothing. This is a SCREWED UP story!

Occupy Atlanta Website

The mere fact that you posted that you had to get tested proves the validity of the story.
Thanks for validating.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Here is a really interesting article about Tuberculosis (wiki) I have been reading about it today because of these reports actually.

Check this out:

One third of the world's population is thought to be infected with M. tuberculosis,[3][4] and new infections occur at a rate of about one per second.[3]

What are mycobacterium?

Mycobacterium is a genus of Actinobacteria, given its own family, the Mycobacteriaceae. The genus includes pathogens known to cause serious diseases in mammals, including tuberculosis (Mycobacterium tuberculosis) and leprosy (Mycobacterium leprae).[1]

There are vaccines available for prevention, but the treatment for this is antibiotics. There are reports of drug-resistant strains as well.

Just a little info and a few links for anyone who cares to look into it further.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by TinfoilTP

The filthy dirty horde is turning into a disease ridden cesspool in the early hours of an epidemic.

This is what will happen to you if you go live in a tent city with strangers all packed in closely together with no sanitary facillities. Of all the millions Soros and his trillionaire buddies paid to organize this shindig, their sheeple were not good enough to spend for outhouses and shower facillities.

www.foxnews.com

So quick to jump to conclusions, at least you are not trying to hide your bias against OWS.

It´s a freaking homeless shelter, what makes you think it wasn´t 2 homeless people, I mean real ones, TB is not all that uncommon.

From your article,

He said both infected people have begun treatment and are being monitored. It is unclear if the two cases were among the homeless population or the anti-Wall Street protesters. Read more: www.foxnews.com...

They even say it is not clear at all where it came from.

Very objective OP.
edit on 12-11-2011 by CaptainInstaban because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

No. This is what happens when you pack a hundred people in a homeless shelter. Secondly, you aren't going to win any points with either side by throwing derogatory names at the entire movement because of a single incident. Also, citing fox news as a credible news source is reaching at best.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Hate the OWS movement much?

Anyone can catch TB its just passed on when people cough or sneeze. Its got nothing to do with the habits or conditions that people live in. You could catch it in a tube train or in an elevator or even a sterile hospital if you we close to someone who coughed on you.

It is spread through the air when people who have an active MTB infection cough, sneeze, or otherwise transmit their saliva through the air.

One third of the world's population is thought to be infected with M. tuberculosis, and new infections occur at a rate of about one per second

Source

edit on 12-11-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainInstaban

So if you were there, would you feel no need to get tested because of your blind faith in OWS?

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
You know what ....my opinion is...TPTB....may have created this TB rumor in Atlanta...in order to have a (supposed) valid reason to shut it down.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Just more spotlighting of a movement that they don't want to have pressuring them. It happens.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

350,000 est. Americans have TB, & 1/3 of the planet's population has it, according to WHO statistics...

What's so surprising about the fact that some @ Occupy ATL, their base being a homeless shelter at that, are testing positive for TB?

Some people will regurgitate anything negative having to do with this movement. Not that I do or don't support this movement & their motives. Just stating fact.
edit on 12-11-2011 by susp3kt because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Do we really need 2 threads on the same topic?

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Personally, i find it extremely coincidental that the OWS encampment where this took place is located in the same city as the CDC.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by RainbeauBleu

Although these things can happen naturally, I really question these Occupy outbreaks. What next? Cholera?

It really shouldn't come as a surprise.

Part of the reason we go through so many vaccinations and rounds of antibiotics our first week of boot camp is because you have hundreds of different people from different parts of the continent (and a few from other parts of the world) interacting in close quarters - living, sleeping, and eating together. We are also subjected to large amounts of stress that can adversely affect our immune system's ability to respond to new and unfamiliar strains of bacteria and viruses.

reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

That is a very difficult claim to back up.

This is a spun story with no basis of truth. Creative Loafing started this rumor, and everybody (self included) has now subjected themselves to a test.

The test for TB requires a few days to incubate. A shot is administered as a 'blister' just under the skin. If you have the antibodies for TB, it will become inflamed and discolored.

I call shenanigans on your claim.

IF somebody at the homeless shelter got it, that means nothing. This is a SCREWED UP story!

Cases of TB in a homeless shelter of a city that currently has a large movement of people camping outside and in close proximity means nothing?

It means, to me, if I were part of the "Occupy Atlanta" movement - I would be paying some damned close attention to who is going in and out of the mob and starting to think on the possibility of the people there being at risk for infections not commonly seen to spread.

Glad to see you're proud of your movement.

I was joking about OWS being the onset of the Zombie Apocalypse... but it's times like these when I hate being right all the time. Just letting you know - if you all get TB or some other crazy funky diseases and want to wander into my territory - I will shoot. Nothing personal - just call me a germaphobe.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

You know what ....my opinion is...TPTB....may have created this TB rumor in Atlanta...in order to have a (supposed) valid reason to shut it down.

How delightfully original.

I'll be boring and stick to the more reasonable lines of thought.

Tuberculosis is not unheard of in developed nations, but it has been largely stamped out due to evolved resistances, better treatment, and more robust diets.

However, like with many diseases that become rare in a population, there is considerable risk for that disease returning in the form of a pandemic outbreak. This is why diseases like Small Pox are feared - because many in our populations have little to no resistance against it, and it has a considerably high mortality rate.

This is why health is a major concern when you begin bringing many people from different regions into the same location. Like I said with the military - most of the reason the first thing we do is get vaccinations and rounds of antibiotics is to keep us from having each other horribly sick the entire time. Even then - many people do get sick - usually those who have been more isolated to one of the coast lines worse than others. But the effort keeps it from growing out of control and bringing the whole division down.

Outbreaks like these should be expected at functions like OWS. It is not unique to OWS, and has been seen throughout history at large social gatherings such as groups following band tours and demonstrations you read about in your political history books.

It's just what happens when you have a lot of people together. It's something OWS is going to have to start paying attention to - or it is likely to get worse.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine

Occupy Atlanta Website

The mere fact that you posted that you had to get tested proves the validity of the story.
Thanks for validating.

I didn't say we HAD to get tested... It was more so to stop the rumors. See Creative Loafing thought it would be a good idea, but the thing is, though Occupy Atlanta is operated out of a homeless shelter, it is based in an office space outside of the common area. Soooooo please, give it up.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

As for you, I didn't say that we took the tests 20 minutes ago. As the rumor was reported by CL, some free clinics came to administer the tests for those who wanted them. This isn't a new rumor, it started last week.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

reply to post by CaptainInstaban

So if you were there, would you feel no need to get tested because of your blind faith in OWS?

Guess what?

A large percentage of people are infected with TB; it just remains dormant within us and sometimes it doesn't even become a problem if we maintain a healthy immune system that keeps it successfully repressed.

I'd be more concerned about STD outbreaks. Not dissimilar from military deployments (except dissentry probably isn't as rampant with access to city water).

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join