It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video's taking too long to burn on new PC!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I've recently changed computers, the new one has 4gb RAM compared to the old one which was only 2, however the old PC took around an hour to burn a video to image file using Nero 7, the new PC wants to take 5 hours using the same software! This is just nuts. Is there anything I can do?

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by DJKris

What was the processor in your old one? New one? What speed does your drive operate at?

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I'm not sure what the old PC was, but it was fairly old and certainly not up to the same spec as this one. The DVD Drive goes up to x48 I believe, but at this stage that's not the problem as I'm burning to image file rather than disc. Here's the spec for my computer:

Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United Kingdom)
Installed: 05/11/2011 16:34:05

System Model
No details available

Processor
3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Hyper-threaded (2 total)

Main Circuit Board
Board: Intel Corporation D865GLC AAC28906-409
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Intel Corp. BF86510A.86A.0063.P18.0406220349 06/22/2004

Controllers
Standard floppy disk controller
ATA Channel 0 [Controller] (2x)
ATA Channel 1 [Controller] (2x)
Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 24D1
Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 24DB

Display
Standard VGA Graphics Adapter [Display adapter]
LG M1917TM [Monitor] (19.1"vis, s/n 65424, January 2006)

Bus Adapters
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
Intel(R) 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Any chance that your old computer was 32bit and your new one is 64 bit.Nero 7 is 32bit software and some 32 bit software doesn't run so well in the 32 bit environment that 64 bit operating systems create to run it.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

The new PC is 32 bit.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Something running in the background on the new PC slowing down the burn?

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by iforget
Something running in the background on the new PC slowing down the burn?

I wondered that too, but looking at task manager there's not really anything using that much except internet explorer which is using a lot, but this problem was there when IE wasn't open.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by DJKris

I was frustrated with the time I spent in getting my files to the TV. I don't like to watch movies on the PC. Until I found the free program 'tversity" which allows me to stream the files whatever the format straight to my PS3 and save me hours

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DJKris

Maybe try Windows Update and see if there are updates that you need to install. The SP1 may be causing the problems. Also verify if the version of Windows 7 is 32 bit or 64 bit. What OS did you have on your old PC?

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
...there's also the possibility that you need to update your SATA drivers for your hard drive(s).
The Microsoft drivers aren't great. They're not horrific, but also not great. Look around for some chipset drivers, check with your motherboard manufacturer.

Failing that, use something else to burn your .iso files... try imgburn, that's one of my favourites. Much less cluttered and much less rubbish in it than Nero... it simply gets the job done.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

It's a 32 bit and the Windows is also the 32 bit version. The old PC was XP.

I've just had my brother in law round and he thinks its to do with the drivers relating to the video card which is a ATI Rage 128. When I load up Nero it pops up with a message saying "Hardware acceleration is deactivated. Some capture devices may not work properly. You can activate hardware acceleration using the DirectX Diagnostics Tool" so I go to the tool and it tells me the accelerators aren't available. I've downloaded a driver for the video card, but during installation I get this message "Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to set up the display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup."

EDIT: My brother in law suggested taking out the video card I'd put in case it was faulty so I did and still have the same problem, so I'm assuming there's nothing wrong with the card and have now put it back in.
edit on 13/11/11 by DJKris because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJKris
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

It's a 32 bit and the Windows is also the 32 bit version. The old PC was XP.

I've just had my brother in law round and he thinks its to do with the drivers relating to the video card which is a ATI Rage 128. When I load up Nero it pops up with a message saying "Hardware acceleration is deactivated. Some capture devices may not work properly. You can activate hardware acceleration using the DirectX Diagnostics Tool" so I go to the tool and it tells me the accelerators aren't available. I've downloaded a driver for the video card, but during installation I get this message "Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to set up the display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup."

EDIT: My brother in law suggested taking out the video card I'd put in case it was faulty so I did and still have the same problem, so I'm assuming there's nothing wrong with the card and have now put it back in.
edit on 13/11/11 by DJKris because: (no reason given)

You're right... this error message isn't because your card is faulty, it's because the Rage 128 isn't able to provide hardware acceleration to decoding tasks, unlike newer Radeon cards (e.g the 3xxx 4xxx 5xxx 6xxx series)... so that isn't an error message as such - it's simply informing you that your card can't perform that function.

As for the drivers... you'll need the older (now archived) Catalyst drivers for that card - given that it's quite old. You can find them here driverscollection.com... or on the ATI site itself... they should work fine provided you download the 32-bit (x86) version.

I'd suggest updating your chispet drivers too.
The drivers for your chipset are available here: downloadcenter.intel.com...

now, final question...
why are you burning video to image files?

If you want to burn video files to disc, best way to go is grab "ConvertX to DVD". It's fast, simple and much better at its job than Nero is... check it out!

edit on 14-11-2011 by Awen24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

So even if I install those drivers because of the card I'm using it will still be incredibly slow rendering videos files?

The reason I burn them to image file first is so that if there's a problem with the disc (sometimes I find a recorded DVD can be jumpy) I can burn of another copy in 10 minutes rather than having to wait for the whole video to render again. Saves me a lot of time in the long run.

new topics

top topics

join