It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iodine-131 found in the air above Europe and Sweden. (Sourced from NRK)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
As stated in the NRK's article here some amounts of the radioactive Iodine isotope I-131 have been found in the air of several European countries. As translated from Norwegian, "we have yet to establish where the possible radioactive contaminant comes from." But they are quick to mention that "IAEA refutes the I-131 could possibly come from Fukushima" Meaning some European nuclear power plant had a leak, no? Norwegian authorities are currently examining Norse air samples for traces of the contaminant. I'm sure the government would say "Oh it's just a miniscule amount, nothing to worry about." But where on Earth did the isotope witch such a short half-life come from?

My humble opinion of this is that unless some European power plant had an accident the isotope does come from Fukushima. I wonder what possible reaction to this would come from the EU government, and the European people themselves. But I have no doubt they would be possibly opposite, with the government calming the people down. And my personal thoughts about the whole news article are following. If I-131 (Which has quite the short half-life) is found in Europe, the source has to be local. And that it won't take long at all, before it hits Russia either. Oh the irony of a possible reversed mini-Chernobyl (Funny that Sweden was the first to detect Chernobyl radiation as well, this time it's a completely different source.)

Thank you very much for your time spent, reading this humble article. I'd love to hear your thoughts about this issue.
edit on 12/11/2011 by RumET because: Added some thoughts about the issue.

edit on 12/11/2011 by RumET because: Earth with a capital E!

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Before reading the article my thoughts were RUN!

After reading the article & at this point, Fukushima doesn’t really seem plausible with an 8-day 1/2-life, but if they found the 131 in Iceland previously, then it may stand to reason that they could find lower concentrations in the air above the Scandinavian now.

On the other hand, maybe Iran is jacking around & in that case, revert to plan B: RUN faster!

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by OlafMiacov

Dear Olaf.

Slight half joke here. If Sweden is not safe from Fukushima, where would a safe place be at all? A little 'kick in the butt' for me, who thought Europe would be spared the nuclear fallout. having lost a distant relative to one nuclear meltdown, I'd hate to see my Scandinavian friends suffer more. Deity forbid such a time comes.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I was looking at a map of where the radiation was first detected when this first happened and from what I saw and read it was first detected in Western Germany and the Czech Republic. I feel there are only 2 real possibilities with both emanating from Germany. Either Germany had a leak at one of their power plants and if that is the case, I believe there would have been notification of it. Another possibility I have not seen any one bring up and one that would fit the time frame almost perfectly is that at the end of WW2 things ended chaotically in Germany, a lot of things were lost. I believe what we are seeing may be breech of containment of nuclear material from Germany's race to acquire the bomb during WW2. 65 years would fit the life span of most concrete or metal containment vessels manufactured back in 1940's

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by EndGovtCorruption

The slight issue there would be that I-131 from WWII would have long decayed. I-131 traces show that something recent has happened. Maybe you mistook all those rusty barrels of chemical warfare agents dumped in Germany and around the Norse Sea? At any rate, I would find it hard to forgive the perpetrator, if he/she/it poisons that beautiful country of Norway with radioactive materials.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by RumET

If something was recently exposed from WW2 with ongoing nuclear fission happening it would still be creating I-131. The time frame fits the deterioration of possible containment vessels and I believe if a nuke plant had caused this we would have heard by now. I think the fact that it is so wide spread in Europe eliminates a medical source but leaves open a small possibility it may be from a very large lead or copper mine operation than from a medical source.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by EndGovtCorruption

You have quite the point there then. But if we found out Germany had fissile material under WWII... Oh my this knot is getting more tangled by the second, or maybe it's just my mind.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by RumET

I'm truly sorry to hear about your relative. I was attempting to be lighthearted, but definitely not disrespectful. I take nuclear energy very seriously & it has the potential to be our greatest source of energy, but at least here, greed reigns supreme.

Due to our dated infrastructure, what happened in Japan could very easily happen here & maybe this is reactionary, but with the man-made miniquakes we're getting from fraking, it seems like they're playing with fire.

You're question about Sweden is right-on & frustrating, because I don't know or believe that anywhere is safe.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by RumET

Germany did have fissile material during the war, they just could not refine it enough to reach critical mass for a nuclear chain reaction.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
This can come also from Chernobyl,
that Plant is in a disastrous Condition and Fission may happened there,
another possibility is Temelin!
en.wikipedia.org...

@ Op. you should ask a Mod
for a move of this Thread,
many People a very angry with Japan and never come here

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

Dear Human0815. With all due respect I have no idea what anger with Japan would have to do with it. But as far as I know (and I do not pretend to know a lot) The only fission going on, that is realistic and has been in Russian news lately is Fukushima. I believe the thread belongs here. But I am no Moderator. They could feel free to move them if they find a more fitting place for the thread. But as it's my third opened thread I'd hate to see it go so soon. And to whoever mentioned Germany actually having WWII fissile material, thank you. I did not know that.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Does anyone know how the winds were actioning the last few days?Normally the West of Europe has winds coming from the Atlantic.Central and Eastern Europe can have a lot of variation..

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Romanian

As seen on this service the winds were mostly from the South and South-East over southern part of Sweden today.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Very strange, indeed. Central and Eastern Europe appears to have winds mainly from the East this week. When Cerbobal happened we were very affected, so I guess we should have the "signs" first if something goes wrong in Ukraine.. All this radiation story seem to be contained somewhere in the centre of Europe, what about UK and Iceland?

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Hi all. Part of the the BBC news page report about this occurrence;

"Czech nuclear safety chief Dana Drabova said the iodine could have leaked during production of radiopharmaceuticals.

It was certainly not from a nuclear power plant, she said, adding that they were almost certain that the source was abroad."

It added that;

"Slightly elevated readings of radioactive iodine have also been found in northern Germany, the country's environment ministry said."

Looking at the map, could this have come from Poland?

Ref www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romanian
Central and Eastern Europe appears to have winds mainly from the East this week. When Cerbobal happened we were very affected, so I guess we should have the "signs" first if something goes wrong in Ukraine..

Just pointing out that it's Chernobyl not Cerbobal.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Looks like it is coming from outer space .

NASA have released images of 2,400 stars, known as the Tarantula Nebula, that are producing intense radiation and powerful winds, believed to be the cause for the detection in the atmosphere

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

That celestial body is thousands of light years from us.

To suggest it's responsible for Iodine-131 in European skies is entirely risible & wholly unscientific. You shouldn't believe everything you read in that ignorant English gutter newspaper.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by LeBombDiggity

Yup came to the same conclusion in this other thread lots of good discussion you guys should check it out
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

Wait, what? A nebula so far away making Sweden detect I-131 with a half-life of some days? How ingenious! I am no nuclear scientist, but even I can could call it BS. Why would they even say such things? What goal or mean do the authorities wish to achieve?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join