It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Salt Lake City Ordered to Leave After Man Found Dead in Tent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Protesters have until sunset on Saturday to clear out of Pioneer Park and nearby Gallivan Center or face arrest. They have been camping in both locations for weeks

www.theblaze.com...

I heard rumors of a 30 person plus 'riot' with the police yesterday but am not finding valid information on this rumor as of yet......

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
They have been given until sunset of 11/12 to vacate from camping. They CAN continue the OWS protesting, but NO MORE CAMPING allowed.

Sadly, Pioneer park is the homeless campsite for Salt Lake City.........and now it looks like the OWS movement has taken that away from the regular homeless folks who have been camping there for years. I doubt they MEANT that to happen and its a terrible casualty of the OWS movement.

edit on 11-11-2011 by theRiverGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Maybe the homeless will find an incentive to go find a job and stop doing drugs and drinking themselves to death. No one forced them to be homeless in the first place, that is a direct result of their poor choices in life.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

What a repugnant tribute to inhumanity.

Not like there is not a significant percentage of the homeless that suffer from mental illness.

But they should have chose to have a sound mind.

Silly crazy people.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
the cold and drugs just do not match whether your homeless or not www.sltrib.com... form the link

Death at Pioneer Park results in closure of Occupy SLC camp

By Janelle Stecklein, Brooke Adams and bob mims

The Salt Lake Tribune
First published 6 hours ago
Updated 24 minutes ago

I work down town , and more and more are becoming well street people, loos your ID not good, ATM on main but limited cards and bank, story just confirmed abc4 Utah news, say they will not leave, well shall see post report at 10pm my time, unless someone post it first

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
This is being done on pirpose and if people cant see that they are damn idiots!

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

did you mean purpose? so the man dying in the tent was on pirpose er purpose, to do what force a confrontation between the OWS and SLPD? or to get the OWS out of the park? I am as confused as to your post as I am talking to an OWS protester.
Try it, take one a
aside if you can get just one, 5 or 6 will follow, and then all at once will start saying this and that, one trying to out yell the other, I will say this , they do have spunk and grit to bad just not one voice to speak for them.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Resinveins

Not like there is not a significant percentage of the homeless that suffer from mental illness.

But they should have chose to have a sound mind.

Poor choices are poor choices.

The world and physics don't look at your state of mind when determining the outcome of your decisions. Drinking too much alcohol will kill you - whether you are doing it to show off to your drinking buddies or battling enormous amounts of depression following family calamities (or just a medical condition).

I'll put it another way . . . would you open your house up to a homeless person? Surely, there are many people you interact with on a daily/weekly basis that - if they ran into trouble, you would allow to stay at your place?

I lost my home after my father died. Some friends allowed me to sleep on their couch for the better part of nine months. We all split rent and the company helped me deal with depression and some other issues going on in my life at the time. We got a different lease so we could all have our own rooms, now.

I haven't once been on any government aid program.

Something is wrong if no one is willing to help you out - and I don't mean with "everyone." It is human instinct to band together - particularly in support of people you have personal ties with. I may not have an open wallet for you - but I will sleep on the floor and let you use my bed if you're running into tough times - and I'll do what I can to help you get back on your feet.

But you can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped. I've dealt with quite a few individuals who just don't care. Some rely on a check in the mail - the lack of discretion making it easy to sloth about. Others are too proud to accept help (or even realize it is available). And still others are just downright predatory and rotten - so no one wants to help them.

It's easy to sit there and say: "this should be the way we do things." It's another to put your money where your mouth is and actually have to deal with people rejected by society (or who reject society).

Hell - even the tweakers around here seem to have an endless network of people able to help them out.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by bekod

did you mean purpose? so the man dying in the tent was on pirpose er purpose, to do what force a confrontation between the OWS and SLPD? or to get the OWS out of the park? I am as confused as to your post as I am talking to an OWS protester.
Try it, take one a
aside if you can get just one, 5 or 6 will follow, and then all at once will start saying this and that, one trying to out yell the other, I will say this , they do have spunk and grit to bad just not one voice to speak for them.

[Off Topic] Come on now! You could have replied to that post without ridicule and turning into the Nazi spelling police. There are people on this forum who don't use English as their first language, there are also people who are dyslexic and there are also these things called typos.

[On Topic] This seems to be an unfortunate case of accidental death. The guy gassed himself with a heater in his tent. The drug paraphernalia could have been anything. There may not of even been any drug paraphernalia in his tent at all, and was reported just to further the anti-occupy agenda. If you notice, the article states "what appeared to be drug paraphernalia". To me, that's not a statement of fact.

edit on 12-11-2011 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

If you think mental illness is a result of poor choices... I don't think we have much to say to each other.

I'm not even going to criticize your post ... I think it represents itself well as is.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
Maybe the homeless will find an incentive to go find a job and stop doing drugs and drinking themselves to death. No one forced them to be homeless in the first place, that is a direct result of their poor choices in life.

If this is what you truly believe... than I am sorry to say you are either a complete moron or completely misinformed.

I have been homeless. It had nothing to do with my choices in life. I did not do drugs or drink myself to death. I was homeless due to circumstances completely out of my control. Of course, I did not stay homeless and the ONLY reason I did not stay homeless was because one person who was able to give me work. He was running his own business and decided to take a chance on me (a homeless 18 year old) and I took that chance and made it into a career. I am now 39 years old.

So all it took was one opportunity and one job and I busted my backside to be as good as I can be at that job and in doing so I have stayed employed for over 20 years. So don't sit here and tell me that being homeless is a choice that people choose to make because they are all drug addicts and alcoholics.

I would strongly suggest you go to a homeless shelter some where. Work the soup kitchen and take the time to get to know some of these homeless people. What you find out my just change the way you view homeless people. Yes there are some drug addicted homeless. Yes there are some alcoholic homeless. However, you can not paint every single homeless person with the same broad brush. Doing so, quite simply, is beyond ignorant!

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

If you think mental illness is a result of poor choices... I don't think we have much to say to each other.

Basic reading comprehension. You lack it.

I said that a poor choice was a poor choice, regardless of your state of mind while making it.

Gravity doesn't care if you're on PCP - it will smash your ass into the ground, anyway. Alcohol doesn't care if your wife cheated on you and your father just passed away - it will still kill you. A snake doesn't care if it is a four year old that doesn't know any better - it will bite when provoked.

I'm not even going to criticize your post ... I think it represents itself well as is.

Such an arrogant animal you are. Perhaps you should display some signs of sentience before presuming yourself to be capable of levying a valid criticism.

reply to post by MrWendal

If this is what you truly believe... than I am sorry to say you are either a complete moron or completely misinformed.

It's not about belief. It's about fact.

I have been homeless. It had nothing to do with my choices in life. I did not do drugs or drink myself to death. I was homeless due to circumstances completely out of my control.

You list two effects as though one is causal to another:

[circumstance outside of one's control]
Homeless.

My father died while I was depending on him for a home (as well as my brothers). That was a circumstance outside of my control. It meant I had to find some other place to live.

I could not reasonably afford my own apartment at the time. I did, however, end up staying with friends. Still am. There were many places for me to seek a home, many people I knew who were willing to help me without much protest.

This is not exclusive to myself - I've witnessed quite a bit of drama around town and seen people avoid homelessness a wide number of ways.

Of course, I did not stay homeless and the ONLY reason I did not stay homeless was because one person who was able to give me work. He was running his own business and decided to take a chance on me (a homeless 18 year old) and I took that chance and made it into a career. I am now 39 years old.

Does this not reinforce what the person you are responding to said?

You were motivated to seek a job. You found one and are no longer homeless and, I presume, leading a far more productive and fulfilling life.

So all it took was one opportunity and one job and I busted my backside to be as good as I can be at that job and in doing so I have stayed employed for over 20 years. So don't sit here and tell me that being homeless is a choice that people choose to make because they are all drug addicts and alcoholics.

By your own admission - homelessness was a brief, transitional time in your life. It was not a way of life for you, but a circumstance.

I've volunteered at local homeless shelters and community kitchens through my life - and you see a lot of the same faces, year in - year out. They qualify for government aid programs (receive government aid programs - if you do a little eavesdropping on their conversations), and will rarely jump on opportunities to work. There are people who transition through and who do jump on opportunities to work and leave that lifestyle - but there are a lot who treat it as a lifestyle.

Some are mentally . . . not there. So you can't hold too much against them. Some are physically disabled (can't really hold much against them, either - although I make an exception for the ones that are obese to the point of being disabled...) - but most are just chilling. They adopt a way of life where people provide for them, and they get to sloth about.

I would strongly suggest you go to a homeless shelter some where. Work the soup kitchen and take the time to get to know some of these homeless people. What you find out my just change the way you view homeless people. Yes there are some drug addicted homeless. Yes there are some alcoholic homeless. However, you can not paint every single homeless person with the same broad brush. Doing so, quite simply, is beyond ignorant!

Honestly, a lot of your addicts and mentally challenged do not frequent homeless shelters and/or kitchens. Those that do are usually the far more mild cases (or are more easily treated by therapy or cheaper drugs that shelter staff can provide).

We've got box-car homeless around here. You've got to go a way outside of town - but that is where you will find a lot of the 'real' homeless (the people who, literally, do not have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of). Drugs that will cause that kind of addiction are rare, here - so most of them in these parts are just unable to function, mentally.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by skitzspiricy

Originally posted by bekod

Try it, take one a

[Off Topic] Come on now! You could have replied to that post without ridicule and turning into the Nazi spelling police. There are people on this forum who don't use English as their first language, there are also people who are dyslexic and there are also these things called typos.

[On Topic] This seems to be an unfortunate case of accidental death. The guy gassed himself with a heater in his tent. The drug paraphernalia could have been anything. There may not of even been any drug paraphernalia in his tent at all, and was reported just to further the anti-occupy agenda. If you notice, the article states "what appeared to be drug paraphernalia". To me, that's not a statement of fact.

edit on 12-11-2011 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)
that was a question not a "NAZI" spell check as you put it,
on topic: this is true "appeared, to be drug paraphernalia" but chances are it is the real deal , more than once have I been asked "hay man , do you know" No I do not Nor would I tell ya if I did.
edit on 12-11-2011 by bekod because: editting

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

A lot of people are surprised to learn that only about 1 in 4 homeless people have some sort of mental illness. I was surprised when I first heard this figure but hearing it has certainly changed my view about the homeless. I used to think most of them were homeless due to factors they couldn't control; now I know only 1 in 4 have a mental issue which could be part of why they are homeless.

Source

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Dilligaf28

more than that , say 3 in 5! Go downtown any city, say on the weekend, just for the sake of first hand knowledge and see how many can and will carry on a comprehensive conversation, or see how many talk to them selves and then ask if they had any mil service, ask if they get help and they will tell you heck no, do not want to be chipped pocked prodded stamped or implanted, let alone tracked, just from personal experience are they a threat to you ? lets just say best left a lone.
back to subject:
SLPD cleans out park , at sundown the SLDP blocked off the south end of the park asked OWS'ers to leave some did not and were taking to jail. www.abc4.com...

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

I prefer the scientific study to unproven casual observation.

2nd line

top topics

join