It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD! Thank you!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I publicly applaud the NYPD for controlling the mass of human debris, aka... protestors. The democrats wanted the media to pay more attention to the protestors than the convention itself. It didn't work, thanks to the brave men and women of the NYPD!

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I think they were quite restrained since so many Cops of the NYPD were hurt by these "peaceful protesters" More then a couple hurt very bad.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Right... very brave to create a strategic plan of preemptive arrests to prevent protests. That's indeed an exceptionally stout-hearted approach to ensuring that there is no law preventing the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances. I don't really know what sickens me more... the pathetic party-nature of the protestors (I live in Manhattan) or the preemptive strikes to prevent protests.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   
For shame Carseller!

While there have been a few "anarchists without a cause" the majority of the protestors played by the rules. How can you not relish seeing the citizens of this country exercise their first amendment rights, regardless of their causes.

We sometimes forget what a great country we have and protesting is an integral and necessary part of its history.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   
''peaceably to assemble'' that peaceably is very important and these protest seem to have attracted alot of people that had did not have peace on their minds. When you have over a hundred NYPD cops hurt thats not quite peaceful.

It might be the "anarchist" I dont know but they attracted a unwanted group that will not help the protesters cause.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleys
For shame Carseller!

While there have been a few "anarchists without a cause" the majority of the protestors played by the rules. How can you not relish seeing the citizens of this country exercise their first amendment rights, regardless of their causes.

We sometimes forget what a great country we have and protesting is an integral and necessary part of its history.

I do my protesting at the ballot box! I don't need to put myself in the middle of a sea of human debris. Don't get me wrong, I love protests, they do come up with some catchy slogans. It's almost like watching the Jerry Springer show...watching people make fools of themselves is very entertaining!

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX When you have over a hundred NYPD cops hurt thats not quite peaceful.
Where did you get that stat? I've not seen any reports like that.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
I do my protesting at the ballot box! I don't need to put myself in the middle of a sea of human debris. Don't get me wrong, I love protests, they do come up with some catchy slogans. It's almost like watching the Jerry Springer show...watching people make fools of themselves is very entertaining!

And you can't do both why?

You focus on the few and not the majority. Is your opinion of the civil rights marches or the protests at Tianamen Square the same? Human debris.

Remember it's only a few trouble makers.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
When you have over a hundred NYPD cops hurt thats not quite peaceful.

Where did you get that stat? I've not seen any reports like that.

I know a couple guys that are NYPD cops and I assure you they were all not hurt as bad as detective, William Sample that poor guy was stomped and beat but some other guys have been hurt petty bad. But the number is quite high it was about 70 as of Yesterday. Trouble makers like to throw stuff at cops when there in a large crowd because it so hard to tell were it came from.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Iam with you bleys, the protest of NY city were of Americans our fellow Americans and I am proud see that we still have freedom to demonstrate
The day we lose that right it will be the day our nation will not longer be call the land of the free.

I most be human debris because I wished I were there with my fellow Americans.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   
also, there are more than just democrats there. i'm tired of everyone saying its democrats--there are others there even repubs. bush has made alot of people angry and its time for him to see this. for most of his presidency the protesters have been kept far away and out of his site. this is a wake up call. AMERICANS regardless of partys are standing up and screaming we are tired of the lies, the heavyhandiness and the arrogance of bush and his crowd. we are tired of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   
wantthetruth,

That is right it was not only democrats but also republicans tired of bush policies, I agree with you.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 07:23 AM
link   
The right to protest is a fundamental American liberty. However, I draw the line when Protestors decide to distrupt or suspend a meeting in progress. It's wrong to try to scream down the President when he is giving his speech. It would have been just as wrong if someone tried to disrupt Kerry's speech also. I am disturbed by they fact that people don't respect the rights of others. Free Speech is a two way street.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I was surprised also those protestors got inside the convention area, kind of not very good security after all, but then I will like to know how they were able to get away with it; it will be very interesting to find out.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Most of the people who got inside where because of out of state delegates selling their passes....

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 07:46 AM
link   
There was also a push to have protestors volunteer to work on the inside. So maybe that's how some got in. In any big event, you need volunteers and it's hard to vet everyone.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I am sorry to hear that even one person got hurt cop or protestor. But when you have a gathering of that many people there will be some injuries. The polioe are aware of that as well as the protestors. I wish people would stop bashing someone becouse they do not agree with you. If I want to protest the war I can. I do not need to agree with your opinion. And you should definately hold it against someone either. You never know when you will be standing side by side with that person on another issue.

GO FREE SPEECH

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
I publicly applaud the NYPD for controlling the mass of human debris, aka... protestors. The democrats wanted the media to pay more attention to the protestors than the convention itself. It didn't work, thanks to the brave men and women of the NYPD!

While the 'human debris' part of this comment is fairly disgraceful (for reasons already stated), I commend the sentiment about the NYPD. These folks have one of the toughest jobs out there. Let's not forget that NYC is one of the terrorist target cities (probably THE target), and these folks put their lives on the line trying to protect us.

Successful crowd control for 200,000 while respecting the critical rights of individuals to protest is a very thin tightwire to walk. Let's give these folks our thanks and respect, as well as appreciating the protesters who followed the rules.

new topics

top topics

join