It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Summary of Abortion Laws Around the World

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
This is an important reminder that nearly every country in the whole world has different abortion laws. We should realize that this is not a cut-and-dry issue for nearly every nation on earth. Lots of countries have abortion laws for very specific situations, and not for health or vanity (or whatever is the most common excuse).

www.pregnantpause.org...

I anticipate there will eventually be a backlash against liberal abortion and contraception laws in civilized nations, but there has to be a moral rock-bottom off of which to bounce. I do not believe in abortion, because without a miscarriage or accident the zygote has a unique DNA signature which will stay with it until it dies of old age!

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenite
This is an important reminder that nearly every country in the whole world has different abortion laws. We should realize that this is not a cut-and-dry issue for nearly every nation on earth. Lots of countries have abortion laws for very specific situations, and not for health or vanity (or whatever is the most common excuse).

www.pregnantpause.org...

I anticipate there will eventually be a backlash against liberal abortion and contraception laws in civilized nations, but there has to be a moral rock-bottom off of which to bounce. I do not believe in abortion, because without a miscarriage or accident the zygote has a unique DNA signature which will stay with it until it dies of old age!

Personally I think they are manipulating with the colours chosen.

In Denmark we would regard the green as the colour for "Yes". But we have compassion in real life, we don't just claim to have it.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Im pro abortion. Sometimes I think the best thing would be if nobody was able to have human kids on this planet for a couple of years. Not only because we need less people in the world to keep nature alive but because this planet is not suitable for souls anymore. From my point of view we are destroying something pure when we bring it into this world of ego, hate, violence. You might think all life is worth having but if you have been thru what I have been then you will understand that some lifes is not good for your soul. I am still healing from my experiance and regaining what I lost, but at least now again I can see the duality that this world is made off. The sins of the father/mother is continued in the kids and tought by the teachers. You cannot escape the corruption because it is everywhere in the system. I will not have kids not because I don't want them but because I will never hurt another soul to experiance this place as it is now. Lets hope it changes so I can change my mind. I can at least lessen the burden of some of the people that are here. Im sorry if im being negative but I feel that this is not a place for small angels to be. Namaste

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by apushforenlightment

Damn it man. I hate to hear that same argument from so freakin many people. My sister makes that same excuse of why not to reproduce. No no no no no. You HAVE to make babies if you are intelligent enough to realize that the world is too crowded. People are dumb enough as it is without having it accelerated by the smart people not wanting to reproduce.

I plan to reproduce when I find a respectable gamete, and I would like your progeny to be in the world that they are in.

On the subject of abortion, I suppose it is a religious issue, but I think it is primarily a moral issue. May god empower the word in us.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
People have children for selfish reasons. Instinctually, we do it for the propagation of the species, bit consciously, we don't do it for the good of mankind or for the children. We do it to have a person to share love with and feel like we belong in the world. We do it for US.

I think bringing children into this world only to leave them behind to deal with how much we've screwed it up is a very selfish thing to do. Consider that our progeny will choke on the pollution, live in poverty because of what we've done (and allowed) with the economy, be controlled and manipulated by media and religion and live in a world of hatred, fear, war and uncertainty.

Who would do that to a person? Not me.

As far as abortion goes, if you don't want one, don't get it. What another person chooses is their business.

Originally posted by warrenite
Damn it man. I hate to hear that same argument from so freakin many people.

Perhaps you should listen... ?
edit on 11/14/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
All the parties involved in this discussion have made valid points.

I respect Warrenite's take on the fact that mankind will just degenerate into a population of imbeciles if the intelligent ones decide not to procreate. Think "Idiocracy" - perhaps the future versions of human-kind will watch tv whilst gorging themselves on junk food and guzzling pop-soda and pooping at the same time in a special all-purpose chair.

But even so... it is highly unlikely that I will ever make the choice to have a child. I just cannot get past my feelings of guilt - I simply cannot do it to the planet. My feelings of regard for this planet and my responsibility towards it is like a wall in my mind - and no amount of arguing about the pros of having kids will make me look past this wall.

And for that reason (among many others) I am pro-choice. Yes - life is a miracle and yes - the DNA signature of each zygote is unique and splendid. But there are thousands of billions of possible unique DNA computations, and each computation is as unique than the previous one. We cannot want to protect each and every computation of creation simply because it is "unique". If we truly want to do that, we would have to protect each and every unfurling leaf, each sprouting seed, every oxygen molecule, every 9 out of 10 dogs and cats that end up on the euthanization table, and basically all of creation.

At some point and until we have addressed the problems facing our world today, we have to call a halt (albeit temporarily) to the bus and get off this baby-making wagon.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]Abortion would never be an option for me.

I have been through the pain of 2 miscarriages and cannot imagine putting myself through that on purpose.

I can understand in certain circumstances. Rape... incest... medical catastrophe... but the reality is that women don't do enough to prevent an unwanted pregnancy and they use abortion as birth control. Half of all women that have had an abortion, have also had one previously.. which is ridiculous.

Don't want kids? Get serious about prevention instead of murdering your potential children.

Edited to Add: I have two little boys and the future they face is terrifying with the state of things. I can't imagine what their realities will be as adults. I love them more than I have ever loved anything all at the same time.

But..

If I would have known 5 years ago what I know now, I would be childless today.

edit on 14-11-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
[color=dodgerblue]Abortion would never be an option for me.

I have been through the pain of 2 miscarriages and cannot imagine putting myself through that on purpose.

***snip***
But..

If I would have known 5 years ago what I know now, I would be childless today.

***snip***

You are not very clear here. Does your statements indicate that *had* you become pregnant and you knew what you know now that you *would* have an abortion?

For arguments sake, let's pretend that your favourite contraceptive failed it's mission (and they do you know - none are 100% effective).

My daughter used the pill and her boyfriend a condom - still she became "heavy with child". It was too early in her life - she was 17 - and she opted for an abortion. Now she is married and I am a grandfather.
Where is the wrong in that?

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
***snip***
...but the reality is that women don't do enough to prevent an unwanted pregnancy and they use abortion as birth control.

So you believe that
* misguided peer pressure
* false information about the safety of "pulling out"
* inadequate sex education in schools
* missing sex education in schools
* paternal "if I look away it won't happen"
* etc.
are all good reasons to tell the young pregnant girl "you should have thought of this when you spread your legs".?

Or is your opinion that the above mentioned reasons are collateral damage when you make a rule because someone are being silly?

You will ban knives in the kitchen because some people use them to kill their spouses?

Half of all women that have had an abortion, have also had one previously.. which is ridiculous.

You know perfectly well that 83.6 % of all statistics are made up to strengthen an argument. You need to know the reasons for both the first and the second abortion, before you can even begin to use it as an argument.
How many in that statistical survey was actually in stead of birth control? You don't know? Well then - don't mix your arguments the way you do.

Don't want kids? Get serious about prevention instead of murdering your potential children.
***snip***

Murdering potential children requires empirical proof that a fetus is conscious in the womb. There is no such emperical evidence. There is plenty made by relious groups, but they also preach "do not kill", "turn the other cheek" and still go to war.

It is perhaps intended murder if you have a shower and a good clean out after sex?

edit on 14.11.2011 by HolgerTheDane because: fixed quotes

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by apushforenlightment
Im pro abortion. Sometimes I think the best thing would be if nobody was able to have human kids on this planet for a couple of years. Not only because we need less people in the world to keep nature alive but because this planet is not suitable for souls anymore. From my point of view we are destroying something pure when we bring it into this world of ego, hate, violence. You might think all life is worth having but if you have been thru what I have been then you will understand that some lifes is not good for your soul. I am still healing from my experiance and regaining what I lost, but at least now again I can see the duality that this world is made off. The sins of the father/mother is continued in the kids and tought by the teachers. You cannot escape the corruption because it is everywhere in the system. I will not have kids not because I don't want them but because I will never hurt another soul to experiance this place as it is now. Lets hope it changes so I can change my mind. I can at least lessen the burden of some of the people that are here. Im sorry if im being negative but I feel that this is not a place for small angels to be. Namaste
This planet is not overcrowded or even near it. Canada and Russia can support billions of people not to mention other remote places around the world and did you ever think we could come up with technology to live on or in water or even in midair (which by the way we are already doing, only in small scale.) There is no need for abortion, even if the fetus has no conscious, it could have. It could of also been a doctor, farmer, historian etc... it is truly killing a human in the most vulnerable state much like killing a caterpillar in a cocoon, defenseless, harmless and unable to tell us its thoughts on the issue regarding whether it gets to live or not.

Now of course some can become unexpectedly impregnated through rape/abuse but that shouldn't be a reason to kill the fetus if it appears healthy. And if you know you can't support the child, then give it to those who can't have a baby, they'll be happy to take it off your hands. What about the apparent dangers we see in the near future? Uhhhh, don't have a child? It has nothing to do with abortion, it's up to you whether or not you want a newborn in all the chaos. And the world doesn't make the child impure, that's left to those who are teaching the child (normally the parents.) You can pretty much shape a child in accepting this world if you wanted to or have them value everything they got even if it's nothing. But just teach your child good morals and once he's old enough, he'll shape his own opinions of things as a peaceful, loving and respectable human.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tarno
***snip***
Now of course some can become unexpectedly impregnated through rape/abuse but that shouldn't be a reason to kill the fetus if it appears healthy.

How do you determine that it is healthy in it's psycholical profile?

And if you know you can't support the child, then give it to those who can't have a baby, they'll be happy to take it off your hands.

You live in a dream world. Many of the unwanted pregnancies are by women that are in the "less mental fortunate" state. In other words - some would be parents are mentally below a standard that is required by the would be adoption parents. There is a reason that sperm donors are screened before they can pass their sperm on.

There is also a reason why so many children are not adopted. Their mothers could be drug addicts, alcoholics, mentally handicapped etc.

Not many takers on those kids.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

This planet is not overcrowded or even near it. Canada and Russia can support billions of people not to mention other remote places

It's not about SPACE... it's about resources. There aren't enough resources to support a growing population for long.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

This planet is not overcrowded or even near it. Canada and Russia can support billions of people not to mention other remote places

It's not about SPACE... it's about resources. There aren't enough resources to support a growing population for long.
I've said this before somewhere, insects could solve our food crisis. They out perform any of our foods in all aspects including nutritional content.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

You HAVE to make babies if you are intelligent enough to realize that the world is too crowded. People are dumb enough as it is without having it accelerated by the smart people not wanting to reproduce.

So true. Members of ATS are on average among the world elite, with already low fertility rate and mental+material means to take very good care of their offsprings and make them into highly productive people.

If you dont want children, fine, but lets not pretend you are fighting overpopulation or helping the quality of life on this planet in some way by such decision, because if you can regularly connect to ATS, most probably the opposite is true.

edit on 14/11/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by HolgerTheDane

I'm sure that's mainly determined by what the mother takes in. It's not like that batch of sperm is able to permanently damage the mentality of the child. After all, isn't all of its functions created inside the womb? And I'm not saying the child can't develop problems, of course it can because of how some things can be hereditary but that shouldn't be a reason to abort. Every problem can be worked through and cured/helped with in medical advances.

And sure many can be unwanted because of how the parent could be but I don't see where abortion fits in here. You're saying because of the amount of babies that are unwanted, abortion should be practiced and followed through with? And it's silly to think they're unwanted anyways, they haven't found a home yet is all. You see, there are always caring people out in the world who can't look the other way when one needs help. And once the grip tyranny has over the people is lifted, the world will be easier and less-intensive than it is now (basically, raising a child will be easier.)
edit on 14-11-2011 by Tarno because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Tarno

It's not like that batch of sperm is able to permanently damage the mentality of the child. After all, isn't all of its functions created inside the womb?

[color=deepskyblue]
Not true. Not entirely, at least. I do not dispute the fact that harmful substances ingested by the mother can cause harm to the fetus.

BUT..

If we look into the physiological workings of pregnancy... we know that the development takes place according to the instructions given by the genes. The genes are on the chromosomes and half of those chromosomes come from the father. If he has a translocation, a deletion or another error in his genetic material, the embryo could have defects.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

You are not very clear here. Does your statements indicate that *had* you become pregnant and you knew what you know now that you *would* have an abortion?

[color=dodgerblue]No. That is not what I meant at all.

I would have continued to prevent pregnancy by using two methods like I had been doing until I made the decision to have babies.

If I would have gotten pregnant despite the fact that I was taking the pill and using condoms 100% of the time, I would have put my big girl panties on and owned up to the responsibility of the consequence that resulted from my actions.

Birth control pills and condoms both have very small failure rates when used properly 100% of the time. I have a hard time believing that she was using both methods properly. What do you think the chances of both failing at the same time are? Pretty slim, if you ask me.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

***snip***
Every problem can be worked through and cured/helped with in medical advances.

As I said - You live in a dream world.

And sure many can be unwanted because of how the parent could be but I don't see where abortion fits in here.

If you don't already it will be neigh on impossible to explain to you.

You're saying because of the amount of babies that are unwanted, abortion should be practiced and followed through with?

Very crudely put, but basically - yes!
You see - many babies don't get adopted. They stay with the parents. And quite frankly - there are a huge number of parents unfit to be parents. There are a huge number of parents who live in conditions unfit for children. There are a huge number of parents who have more children than they can afford thus making it difficult to give the children the life they should have.

And it's silly to think they're unwanted anyways, they haven't found a home yet is all.

And they never will, because some smartass thinks that it is a right to have children. So much so that clearly unfit parents are allowed to keep the children they didn't want but now keep because they have been told (or simply believe) that they are doing allright.

You see, there are always caring people out in the world who can't look the other way when one needs help.

Not sure where you are from, but you obviously live a sheltered life. But there are a vast majority of the worlds populatin that doesn't. Even in compassionate nations like the good old USofA..

Have a look at this:
Jacob Holdt - American Pictures

And once the grip tyranny has over the people is lifted, the world will be easier and less-intensive than it is now (basically, raising a child will be easier.)

But until then???

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

How many in that statistical survey was actually in stead of birth control? You don't know?

[color=dodgerblue]And how many weren't?

So you believe that * misguided peer pressure * false information about the safety of "pulling out" * inadequate sex education in schools * missing sex education in schools * paternal "if I look away it won't happen" * etc. are all good reasons to tell the young pregnant girl "you should have thought of this when you spread your legs".?

[color=dodgerblue]It's no secret that having sex causes pregnancy. It's the direct result of the action.

And the responsibility of sex education does not rest solely on the schools, parents should be teaching their kids. We teach them the dangers of everything else, so why do we rely on strangers to undertake one of the most important lessons?

Murdering potential children requires empirical proof that a fetus is conscious in the womb.

[color=dodgerblue]Show me proof that they aren't.

What if I knock you out. And you are unconscious. Can I dispose of you as well?

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

Show me proof that they aren't.

www.cirp.org...

"Functional maturity of the cerebral cortex is suggested by fetal and neonatal electroencephalographic patterns...First, intermittent electroencephalograpic bursts in both cerebral hemispheres are first seen at 20 weeks gestation; they become sustained at 22 weeks and bilaterally synchronous at 26 to 27 weeks."

No brainwaves, no sentience.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join