It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remebrance Day - CANADA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I have cruised through some trending posts today, and if I missed any posts regarding today, Remembrance Day, (Nov. 11th), I apologise. Please move this to the appropriate thread/forum if required, Mods.

With today being November 11th, I almost feel obligated to voice my opinion on this.

Throughout the last century, there has been countless wars: World War 1, World War 2, Korea, Vietnam, Gulf War 1, Gulf War 2, Afghanistan, and several others.
With this post, I'm not trying to take away the memories of our brothers, sisters, friends and children who fought in those wars. The ones who returned home, and the ones that didn't.
This is a day when we remember the people we lost serving in those wars.

On our mainstream media, most of us are remembering those who fought in World War 2. That's going to be the main focus of this posting.
I understand that most of you realize that history is written by 'the winner'. The one who reigns glorious on the battlefield. So, I'll assume that most history books are not entirely accurate. However, to play 'Devil's Advocate', I'll assume that what I was taught in school and in books, is 100% accurate.
One thing we can be certain about is this: History repeats itself.

Adolph Hitler was a nut. I'll agree with that, to a point. Yes, he lead a nation to slaughter millions of people simply because he didn't like their religion, sexual orientation, etc.... Lets also not forget what he accomplished: He took a nation of extreme poverty, and depression, and in a few years, to almost taking over the world. Regardless of your views or beliefs about the guy, that takes leadership, and will.

Apart from the attack on Pearl Harbour, North America as a landmass faced NO threat from the Hitler-lead coalition. So why fight another mans war?

Now, go grab your old high school History textbooks. See if you can find photocopies, or pictures of Nazi propaganda fliers, etc.
Now, change the word 'JEW' to 'Muslim' or 'Arab'. It kind of sounds like the hate filled speech you're hearing nowadays, doesn't it?
So, next time you are watching the Television news, or reading a newspaper.... And they are talking about all the evils being done by the Muslim Extremists, and those 'Crazy' Arabs'.... Change those titles to 'Jews'..... And think 'Nazi Germany, 1942'.

I know personally several Canadian Soldiers who have served in Afghanistan. I know that many of the friends and comrades have been killed during their tours in Afghanistan. My question is: Why the Hell are we there? Are The Taliban, (funded by the United States) threatening our shores or borders? Why not just let them destroy their own country, and leave a few thousand acres of land free for colonization, for our over-populated planet?
Now I know you're thinking, “What about Al Qaeda? They attacked America!!”..... Don't get me started on that. Just read: Al Qaeda Is Fake.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by moondoggy2

I saw a veterans day thread. I think that's what it's called in the USA.

I have always had mixed thoughts about this day too. First off I come from a strong military family including my Grandfather, Father, and two brothers who have served so I appreciate the sacrifices they made. My grandfather was wounded in France during WW2 and my brother was hit by an IED in Kandahar. Luckily they both lived.

These wars are bloody, and make the elite rich, and strengthen their stranglehold on humanity.

Still they use war to justify blind nationalistic pride that fuels murderous campaigns overseas. The dead deserve to be honored but they also deserve that we do what's right in their honor and never allow this to happen again.

Well, it's too bad, we are still allowing it. We never learn from our mistakes.

Great thoughts, I'm glad you shared.

I feel anger and sadness every November the 11th.
edit on 11-11-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
If your friend is being bullied do you stand by and watch or go to his aid?

Edit: and for Canadians, had America invaded you (as they drew up plans to do in the 1930) do you think the British would have come over to help you?

We are grateful to all our friends for helping us in our hour of need.

And we remember those who gave their lives that we might freely argue over such things today.

Thank you. We will NEVER forget.
edit on 11-11-2011 by Essan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
I feel anger and sadness every November the 11th.

I also come from a strong military family. My grandfather joined the British army before Canada joined the war. He had to transfer once we did. My father was navy. I was refused service when Desert Storm was going on. Nothing big, they just didn't want a 30yo recruit. This country is steeped in military history. Did you know we sent a third of our population overseas during WW1? We have been there whenever the call was sent out. Bosnia, Korea, Cyprus, I could go on. I feel pride on Nov. 11th. These 2 videos are from my province, Nova Scotia. Watch them. Seriously. It will show what today is about.

Damn, tears every time.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
today I remember my grandfather who fought and led in world war 2 and korea as a Sgt. Major, but lost his battle to cancer after the war.
en.wikipedia.org... - fought in Ortona and broke the Hitler line.
en.wikipedia.org...
he survived 3 heli crashes, got shot 7 times, and survived 2 nights in a pit of dead soldiers.
have his medals to remember him but mostly I wear his army jacket as a symbol that he lives on through me.

and a family friend, Chris who died in Afghanistan 2 years ago,
I visited them on CFB Cold Lake, our last night together, we all got really drunk and had a great time.
such a good last memory to have.

RIP

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I feel where you're coming from. I still feel pride, but not as much as I used to.

I have a feeling my grandfather wouldn't be so proud either if he saw the state of our world today. I am glad he passed away before all this madness. He will rest easier this way.

The courage of these people who sacrificed so much is undeniable and is to be remembered for ever.

I wish we could learn from their sacrifices instead of repeating them over and over. They fought for us so we wouldn't have to.

Good videos BTW. Very fitting for today

join