It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many veterans remember?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
How many vets remember returning to the real world after your tour of duty? How many remember not being able to find work? How many felt the country they had served to protect did not view them as worthy?

When I got out of the military, I thought "Well, I should be able to find a job fairly easily". Oh how naive I was. I really, truly believed that people would respect my service and be willing to give me a chance. Not a prayer. I couldn't even get hired at McDonald's because I was "over qualified". I was married and about to become a new dad, but could not find work. Doors were closed to me, and I couldn't even get interviews. I felt that my country had turned it's back on me because I had served.

Many years later when I started my own business, I made it a priority to hire veterans. I didn't care if they had no experience at all, I was willing to train them. I never wanted to see another service member go through what I did. Is the country still like this? Do our vets still feel as if their country has let them down? I know I felt like I had served for nothing. I viewed civilians as ungrateful bastards. For me, and my circle things have improved. I'm just curious what it is like today.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
MY husband is a Marine Vietnam vet, and yes we faced many hardships, ironically he is at work today while many who never served have the day off, in his words, who gives a #e, as he grumbled out the door today,

BTW did you watch that Vietnam documentary this week?
edit on 113030p://bFriday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I got out before the "liberal revolution" got into full swing. We were just coming off the Reagan years. People treated vets well as I recall. It wasn't until the clintonistas and their ilk took over that things took a dark turn.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

No, but I have seen some of them before.
I think it's a real shame when civilians take out their anger on service men and women. Their anger is definitely misguided.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Jobs in this country are created by 1 person starting a business and borrowing capital.
They'll hire a few people and do something.

That's how 75% of the jobs in America are created.

Today we are faced with a populace afraid to take risk. All you have to do is keep your business going for a few years then declare bankruptcy and start over.

It didn't help they changed the bankruptcy laws @2002 so you can't wipe all your debt away anymore.

But that is how almost ALL jobs in America were created. People willing to take on risk. The tools are there still for anyone to be their own boss today in America.

Today's Veterans need to be their own bosses. That's how we'll roll.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

I know exactly what you mean. When I came home from my last in aghanistan in 06 and I new my time in the army was over. I felt a relief that I was done and had more things in life to look forward to. Until I (same as you) started looking for work well that was a load of bull seams like the only thing I could get was land management (mowing grass). So I did it for a short time till something else came along. Now I have my own business and like you I hire vets. I have a veitnam vet(army the fighting first) and a Dessert storm vet(ranger 1st and 75th) that I served with on many a tour and is a good friend and one Marine jar head
: that keeps us all in line. I have 32 employees and I can say these three will be with me till the end and the rest of my employees know it. Its not because they are vets its because they can and will perform beyond standers in our field.
Be sides that I have been talked down to just because I was a vet. All I did was smile and walk on because if it wasnt for the ones fighting before me and mine well they just might not of had the chance to be a A-hole. Some day sadly soon they will look for a dog face, a jar head, a fly boy or a squid for protection. Until that day comes I have contempt for those that no not of what its like to face your enemy in the eye and say "OH S4!T" WOOP!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Yes its pretty hard still. A good job to get after being in Infantry Marine Corps, is a cattleman. not the best but it was decent. But after being infantry my body was mostly broken, I couldnt do it. Fed up I decided to go to school but still doing that it sucks. I am the IT guy at the veterans club but other then that I dont enjoy anything. I miss the corps. But I am tryin.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
For those of you still looking, check out North Dakota. They are booming and paying well. With the new oil fields being opened up they are in need of bodies. When I was first out, I moved from CA, to MS, to MI, to OH before I finally found something decent. Started my business in PA though.

top topics

join