It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Christmas Tree Is Pretty. Oh, And It's Also A Pagan Obelisk

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Your Christmas Is Tree Pretty. Oh, And It's Also A Pagan Obelisk

Obelisks and Christmas Trees
What Steeples and Christmas Trees Have in Common

By Christine Daniel

The obelisk, which is now seen on many Christian churches and considered to be Christian in nature, was anything but Christian at their historical roots. In Old Testament times the obelisk was shown to be the center of Egyptian sun worship, such as mentioned as the "images of Bethshemesh"

The Christmas tree is an example of a pagan phallic symbol, which once represented fertility worship, now brought into the Christian home for reasons the people themselves don't understand. They simply believe that they are continuing to carry on a cultural and religious tradition.

In the Babylon Mystery Religion, the true meaning of the obelisk is shown to be associated with sun worship. The ancients rejected the knowledge of the Creator of heaven and earth, and placed their confidence in the sun because, they believed, the sun gave life to plants and to all humanity. Along with this, they reasoned, life was produced through sexual union, so the [upright/erect] phallus became the symbol of life.
www.associatedcontent.com...

White House Christmas Tree

This 3,500-year-old monument stands directly behind the Metropolitan Museum of Art. To celebrate the 30th year of his reign, Egyptian pharaoh Thutmosis III (1479-1425 B.C.)commissioned a pair of obelisks for the sacred city of Heliopolis. In 12 B.C., they were moved to Alexandria, where they stood until the 19th century, when all great cities around the world clamored for an ancient Egyptian obelisk.
unionmaid-online.blogspot.com...

Here is an old photo of the center of St. Peter's square, and note that around the obelisk, at the center of the huge eight-point sun wheel, is a smaller four-pointed sun wheel, the same symbol as found on the altar stone in the temple of Baal in Hatzor!
www.aloha.net...

Obelisk At Karnak

The earliest Obelisks were known as ‘benben’ stones.
They were rough hewn and truncated, but they were tipped off by the pyramid ion
shape which distinguishes obelisks from other monumental columns.

The spirit of the sun god was supposed to enter the stones at certain periods, and on these occasions human sacrifices were offered to it. The victims were probably prisoners of war who had been captured alive, and foreigners, and when these failed the priests must have drawn upon the native population.

At On, king after king erected benbens in Re’s honour, so that by 1300BC the city was full of obelisks. The Roman author Pliny wrote about this city of On where kings ‘entered into a kind of rivalry in forming elongated blocks of stone, known as obelisks, and consecrated them to the divinity of the Sun’.

In 'Our Phallic Heritage' we are told that 'All pillars or columns originally had a phallic significance, and were therefore considered sacred. Pan, the goat god and god of sensuality, was often represented as an obelisk. A former witch writes 'The obelisk is a long pointed four sided shaft, the uppermost portion of which forms a pyramid. The word 'obelisk' literally means 'Baal's shaft' or Baal's organ of reproduction' (Page 341 Masonic and occult symbols illustrated. Dr. Cathy Burns)
www.christian-restoration.com...

edit on 11/11/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: typos

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Yep, I get tickled a little every year about this season, when the christians throw hissy fits over others who want to celebrate their original, legitimate holidays. Thanks for the post, and I'm glad that the old ways haven't been entirely forgotten!

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Lol im enjoying your misery with the typos.

To me a christmas tree is just something to put presents under.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

That also reminds me of this verse in the bible that I suppose could be representative of christmas trees:

1 Hear what the LORD says to you, O house of Israel. 2 This is what the LORD says:
“Do not learn the ways of the nations
or be terrified by signs in the sky,
though the nations are terrified by them.
3 For the customs of the peoples are worthless;
they cut a tree out of the forest,
and a craftsman shapes it with his chisel. 4 They adorn it with silver and gold;
they fasten it with hammer and nails
so it will not totter. -Jeremiah 10 1-4.

link   
Easter traditions are pagan too. Also, menorahs (Jewish) are actually derived from things called Asherah Poles, which were for the Goddess Asherah of Fertility. And the Ka'aba in Mecca was not even built for Muslims, it was built by pagans! Reappropriation of pagan traditions is almost a given in all the modern mono-theistic religions, cause guess where we all started...

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Some of you know about this, many don't. Perhaps it's time to re-evaluate this tradition. How many other ancient pagan traditions are we unwittingly carrying out. And why? If we trace these traditions back to their origins, as has been done repeatedly in the scholarly arena, we see that today's Christian holidays are simply an usurpation of older rites and ceremonies of worship dedicated to more primal (and pure?) observations of nature and It's glory.

edit on 11/11/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: typos

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

No, it represents Yggdrasil the world tree and was once put out with the glass globes representing the "worlds" yes still pagan

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
It is all about intent.

If people are using the tree as a pagan obelisk
then it is a pagan obelisk, if they are using it as a tree
then it is a tree..

You can use anything for good or bad..

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

I appreciate your zeal but I am left once again asking myself why certain types of folks feel the need to inform us of this type of stuff every year.

Why? Why did you feel the need to inform us of this? I am honestly interested.

All of this type of information concerning Christmas trees and Santa Claus and the Cult of Sol Invictus has been available on the web for years for anyone interested in seeking it out.

Every year since Lincoln, Baigent and Leigh published Holy Blood Holy Grail we have had to endure this yearly history update as a regular feature of Christmas.

And you know what? It's still a Christmas tree.

Thanks for showing up right on time with the usual devisive Holiday Treat.

Good job, OP.

How many other ancient pagan traditions are we unwittingly carrying out. And why?

All you have to do is a cursory study of the Ancient Greeks and Romans to see that we haven't changed a bit. The real argument is which are we? The Greeks or the Romans. I am going with Romans.

This whole discussion is seriously old hat circa 1994.

edit on 11-11-2011 by Frater210 because: whatev..

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

Some people have not been exposed to this information, and will find it interesting. Why don't we let those new to this information wrap their intellect around it for a while...
edit on 11/11/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Reminded me of this great article Joe Rogan wrote about the origin of Santa Claus. A must read!

Santa Claus Was A Mushroom

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

How DAAaaarree you!! In the voice.

It's obviously a pagan ritual, probably to do with freemasonry, and also Satanism.

Why I never thought of it before, is because I'm probably not stupid.. But I am willing to learn!!

Gosh darn those pagans... I bet the fairy on top is some demon too!

crikey, now I'm scared of xmas!!! oO

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Some people have not been exposed to this information, and will find it interesting. Why don't we let those new to this information wrap their intellect around it for a while...

OP, I'm sorry, if you are going to do this 'Phallic Tree' thing or whatever you are doing then you need to take your time and get it together.

You realize that nothing in the quotes that you have selected identify Obelisks or phallus with Christmas trees. No where to be found.

In fact the 'witch' that is cited is wholly wrong...

obelisk "rectangular stone column, tapering at the top," 1560s, from M.Fr. obélisque, from L. obeliscus "obelisk, small spit," from Gk. obeliskos, dim. of obelos "a spit, pointed pillar, needle."

www.etymonline.com...

What this person must be trying to say is that there is a phonetic or 'green language' link to the words etymologically...

Ob?- Bel (Baal)- Us (phallus?)

Fail! Sorry, it's a total stretch.

So at the very best you could say that the Christmas tree is 'obelisk like' or phallus-like', but that is it.

You made a leap here, OP. I feel like you could have had that all tightened up before slinging this kind of half-cocked divisive pseudo-information around for others to get confused about.

Thanks.
edit on 11-11-2011 by Frater210 because: !

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by volafox
Yep, I get tickled a little every year about this season, when the christians throw hissy fits over others who want to celebrate their original, legitimate holidays. Thanks for the post, and I'm glad that the old ways haven't been entirely forgotten!

No, the old ways defiantly have not been forgotten. For some of us, the powers are coming back. For others, it is only memories of things long past. I feel a religious war beginning right here in America, for some are so filled with hate for the ones who refuse to follow the modern cults of today, and are determined to bring back the witch hunts. Lines are being drawn right here in ATS, if one pays attention to these things.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Has to do with the death and resurrection of Osiris. You can plug, no pun intended, a phallic symbol if you wish. It was the missing part of Osiris after all.

As the legend of CHiram Abiff is based upon the ancient Egyptian Mystery ritual of the murder and resurrection of Osiris, it is natural that the sprig of acacia should be preserved as symbolic of the resurrection of CHiram. The chest containing the body of Osiris was washed ashore near Byblos and lodged in the roots of a tamarisk, or acacia, which, growing into a mighty tree, enclosed within its trunk the body of the murdered god. This is undoubtedly the origin of the story that a sprig of acacia marks the grave of CHiram. The mystery of the evergreen marking the grave of the dead sun god is also perpetuated in the Christmas tree. — Manly P. Hall; The Secret Teachings of all Ages

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
For my next trick I will draw correlations between the "Thanksgiving Day Turkey" and the Mayan feathered serpent god "Quetzalcoatl"

No, I'm just joking...
Or am I?!
There's actually no connection... Or is there!?
edit on 11/11/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Christmas is brilliant. They turned the darkest time of the year into the happiest time of the year.

In winter, all the trees look dead, everything looks dead, and the people have only the long dark winter ahead. What did they do? Turn it into a holiday, decorate the house with life, evergreen trees, give their kids presents, gather family around.

If you see a phallus when you see a Christmas tree, you have some serious problems.

May the pagan Gods bless you.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
We know

we know already

I think I will put up two this year, maybe eleven!!!

Symbolisms of Significant Trees in The Bible
relijournal.com...

books.google.com... 32CyJqBhnz0wZdRWrA&hl=en&ei=WV29TqmGPIb9sQKysNXDBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CD8Q6AEwBg#v=onepage&q&f=false

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
For my next trick I will draw correlations between the "Thanksgiving Day Turkey" and the Mayan feathered serpent god "Quetzalcoatl"

No, I'm just joking...
Or am I?!
There's actuall no connection... Or is there!?

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

Christmas is brilliant. They turned the darkest time of the year into the happiest time of the year.

In winter, all the trees look dead, everything looks dead, and the people have only the long dark winter ahead. What did they do? Turn it into a holiday, decorate the house with life, evergreen trees, give their kids presents, gather family around.

If you see a phallus when you see a Christmas tree, you have some serious problems.

May the pagan Gods bless you.

I think the evergreen signifies everlasting life.

Psalms

He shall be like a tree, planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season, whose leaf also shall not wither; and whatever he does shall prosper.”
edit on 123030p://bFriday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join