It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will the Stupid Party Agree to Higher Taxes and More Wasteful Spending? (and a beezzer apology)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
It's pretty obvious that the Republicans don't truly want smaller government. They want government run exactly how they want it to.
And you just need to look at Reagan and Bush to see that this doesn't mean smaller government in the slightest.

Notice how they haven't been saying no more taxes lately...it's "no more taxes wealthy Americans." That's their new slogan.

ugh, whatever, politics are COMPLETELY FAKE anyways. Both sides are exactly the same. They say different stuff to get us all riled up, but they are working for the same people...look who the top donors were for both Obama and McCain were.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
First, a small apology for posting and running. Right after creating this thread, the wife said, "Oh no! Not another night of ATS! Talk to me!"

reply to post by freethinker123

To answer your question, while some see government as the answer to our socio-economic problems I see them as the cause of our socio-economic problems.

Government is like a prostate exam. Necessary, but not something you look forward to seeing.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I agree. We need our own austerity measures now before they become manditory.

The days of selective cuts, playting at cutting, and outright lying are over.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

As the years rolled on, the first thing I always thought of, when someone said D vs R was that republicans cut taxes while democrats raised them.

With this distinction gone, might as well call them all @%#$@%#^@

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Here's why raising taxes is a bad idea.

In Utah, a couple of years ago, they talked of raising cigarette taxes, to aid in a no smoking campaign.

My issue was that if they generated a certain level of revenue from this and it worked, then instead of adjusting their spending, they'd state the following year that there was a budget shortfall and have to raise taxes somewhere else.

I was right.

There is always a process in place, a formula, a reason, a need to raise taxes.

There is nothing, however, in place to reduce spending. And that's what we have to concentrate on.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

There is still a difference:

One created the fed and social programs and created net neutrality and the frank dodd act and increased the power and control of the Government to unprecidented levels and who continues to spend and raise taxes every chance they get.

Yeah the Republicans arent perfect to say the least but they are just a tad better than the D's.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by beezzer

There is still a difference:

One created the fed and social programs and created net neutrality and the frank dodd act and increased the power and control of the Government to unprecidented levels and who continues to spend and raise taxes every chance they get.

Yeah the Republicans arent perfect to say the least but they are just a tad better than the D's.

Agreed. But where I used to see a huge dfference between the two, now it's just a mattr of degrees. When I switched from R to I, I spoke with the GOP in my area (where I was active)
I told them that when the republican party returned to conservative principles, I'd be back.

This ain't helping their case!

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

They did the same cigarette tax here in my state. Instead of spending the money on the program is was designed for, they threw it into the general budget.

Who woulda figured that would happen?

There is nothing, however, in place to reduce spending. And that's what we have to concentrate on.

I completely agree. We must get spending under control!

Eta: I was once a stanch Republican as well. Now being an independent, I find it's easier to use common sense rather than party mantra.

edit on 11-11-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-11-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I can tell you this much, if you have been following the saga in the EU financial crisis you know that the same austerity been forced into nations in debt in the EU will come home one way or the other as we here in the US has gone beyond of what our nations can afford, thanks for the waste and abuse that our "two main party elite corporate run political system has done to the tax payer" as usual we the tax payer will be footing the bill and that means more taxes, cuts on wages and cuts on benefits, be SS or pension funds.

It is coming, the reason we have not seen a more aggressive approach by the fat rats and whores in congress is because Americans are starting to wake up to how dip and big the corruption in our nations political system runs.

The last thing politicians wants in the streets in America is a big violent revolt during election year.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Can't really argue there has always been a gap between Washington "Republicans" and folks like us.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I currently live in Germany. So I'm very much aware of the issues going on. You're right though, America is going the way of Italy and Greece before long.

We either start cutting voluntarily, or else just wait until it's manditory.

Either way, there are going to have to be cuts.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by beezzer

Can't really argue there has always been a gap between Washington "Republicans" and folks like us.

I used to be proud to call myself a republican. And I think that there are those of us that still feel that we haven't left the party, the party left us.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Yes, I agree, it will be cuts and it will be riots because of that I do not expect a very peaceful ending to the global economic crisis going on right now.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Still call myself Republican for the republic we were founded as and to right political pandering the "party" left us.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Common sense dictates that we should get as many people independent from government (personal responsibility) voluntarily, before it becomes manditory.

It's what I've been shouting about for years!

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Nothing wrong with calling yourself a republican, it's those in DC that have shamed the GOP and bastardized the beliefs that the republicans (the people, not the representatives) share.

I split with theparty because there was no other way to voice my displeasure (locally). As a writer, and a very vocal proponent, I wanted to upset the "status quo". Heck, it's been years now, and I still get emails asking me to come back and write some op-ed piece for an unpopular issue!

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
What really gets me is watching the micro-versions on the state level. It's a sickening to see the graft and corruption and put it into perspective of the federal level. Same smelly stuff just the players are paying less. Our system has been over complicated for a long time. Tax and otherwise. Politicians used to have the apathy of the voters for decades. Now all the problems they have caused are waking people up to their miss-management.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with you.

Asking this current crop of politicans (DNC/GOP) to spend less and make government smaller is akin to asking an alcoholic bar owner to drink less.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13
What really gets me is watching the micro-versions on the state level. It's a sickening to see the graft and corruption and put it into perspective of the federal level. Same smelly stuff just the players are paying less. Our system has been over complicated for a long time. Tax and otherwise. Politicians used to have the apathy of the voters for decades. Now all the problems they have caused are waking people up to their miss-management.

Agreed! I honestly believe that any if any real change can be made, it has to start at a local level.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

It's like they are the farm league on the state level and local level is college level lol. Politics being a career has helped foster this bs too. Like I said they have been crooked for along time only recently have lots of people been really noticing.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join