It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Democrats block vote to overturn FCC Internet regulations

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   

The U.S. Senate voted 46-52 along partisan lines, shooting down a Republican effort to stop the Federal Communications Commission from regulating the Internet through net neutrality. The net neutrality rules will take affect November 20. The White House had promised to veto the Republican legislation if it passed. The fate of net neutrality will now likely be determined in 2012 by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit.

dailycaller.com...

Next time i ever hear someone rant about how evil the Republicans are remind them of who brought "net neutrality" in to existence.

Pay attention here 6 Democrats and 280 Republicans voted to over turn Net Neutrality. 2 Republicans and 228 Democrats and 1 Independent voted to uphold it.

Thank those good ole "freedom loving Democrats" for Government regulation of the "internets".

Totally worthless

edit on 11-11-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I know you don't want to believe it, but what the democrats did here was a good thing. If this bill would have passed your service provider would have gotten to decide what content you could or couldn't access on the internet.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Senate Democrats on Thursday turned back a Republican attempt to repeal federal rules designed to prevent Internet service providers from discriminating against those who send content and other services over their networks.

Source:www.nytimes.com...

edit on 11-11-2011 by jlv70 because: fix quote

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Let me see if i can wrap my head around Government knows best here:

Regulation of healthcare skyrocketing costs.
Regulation of the Environment jobs leaving this country in droves.
Regulation of Wall Street yeah everyone knows that one too well already.
Regulation of Food Higher costs.
Regulation of the housing market that lead to Wall Street and the "financial crisis".
Regulation of Big Pharma.
Regulation of student loans that have led to 1 trillion that can never be paid back.

Sorry not seeing Regulation as a good thing no matter where it is.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Regulation isn't always bad and regulation isn't always good. This is a case where big companies were using their clout to stifle competition from smaller companies.

The rules bar service providers from favoring or discriminating against Internet content and services, including online calling services such as Skype and Web video services such as Netflix, that could compete with their core operations. They require broadband providers to let subscribers access all legal online content and prohibit wireless carriers from blocking access to any websites or competing services.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by jlv70
If this bill would have passed your service provider would have gotten to decide what content you could or couldn't access on the internet.

Which would still leave you the simple option of using a different provider.

Once it's been established though, that the F.C.C. has the right to regulate the internet, it's a done deal.

The danger comes later, when it's no longer a question of whether they can, (all in the name of "fairness and equality" mind you), but what they'll tell you they need to regulate next... for your own protection of course.

edit on 11-11-2011 by lernmore because: Hmm, I know I didn't type "the the".. Oh well, fixed.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
FCC does not need nor require Congressional consent to impose Net Neutrality as it's chartered to do just that!

Net Neutrality as it stands now is ideal.
edit on 11-11-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Without these the 2008 crash would've only have been the start of this climatic mess!

Regulations keep things fair and care not for what you have to say about this as this is a fact which is not another opinion so no challenge can be issued!

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   

I know you don't want to believe it, but what the democrats did here was a good thing. If this bill would have passed your service provider would have gotten to decide what content you could or couldn't access on the internet.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Senate Democrats on Thursday turned back a Republican attempt to repeal federal rules designed to prevent Internet service providers from discriminating against those who send content and other services over their networks.

So you'd rather have the government decide what content you can access?... Sigh! I got news for you ISP's already decide what content they allow on thier servers and we are doing just fine. Its called free enterprise and private business just like a store can decide what content they allow in thier store. If you don't like a certain ISP you can vote with your feet and wallet and chose another. that is freedom and democracy in its purest form.

The amazing thing is that the concept even has to be explained to anyone.... The goddmaned marxists have filled to many peoples heads with visions of sugar plums if they will just give up thier freedom... Bigger sigh!

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1
reply to post by neo96

Without these the 2008 crash would've only have been the start of this climatic mess!

Regulations keep things fair and care not for what you have to say about this as this is a fact which is not another opinion so no challenge can be issued!

Regulation or rather politically protected cronyism for the to big to fail crowd and thier buddies is what got us here not what's keeping us from complete meltdown. If you haven't figured that out by now then you are ...

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Cronyism dictated by the banks and Wall Street and their financial influence over how things operate is a fundamental problem that needs to get gone.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   

reply to post by hawkiye

Cronyism dictated by the banks and Wall Street and their financial influence over how things operate is a fundamental problem that needs to get gone.

Regulation = cronysim and nothing more! That's how these behemoths got to big to fail and rose to the top of the pyramid. By having thier competition REGULATED out of the markets. Why else would anyone think the whole system is so lopsided? If there was fair competition those idiots would have went out of business decades ago and we would not be in this mess.

It is so simple it is just amazing so many people can't seem to rap thier minds around it. I can think if ten businesses I would start if government regulators would get the hell out of the way!
edit on 11-11-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Regulation is not cronyism and whoever told you that is an idiot. Cronyism by very definition is anti regulation.

Who writes this?

Perhaps it's a good thing that you haven't gone into business for yourself, one less person to destroy the nation and to ruin the environment and one less company to worry about violating human rights! Govt will never ever get out of the way and to wish that is a pipe dream. Companies have already proven time and time again that they cannot be trusted to self regulate so that ship has sailed and is long out to sea by now, you can still catch up with it if you hurry!

Read up on something called the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire of 1911. Regulations went online because 146 were killed with 71 injured because of a locked door. Regulations demand and require that in a factory setting that all exit doors must remain unlocked and unblocked. Leave it to deregulation and more of these will happen. Many of the deaths were due to people breaking windows and jumping to their deaths. This also mandated that smoke alarms must be in every household and business. This demanded that fire exit doors be established with their own independent corridors (BTW, during 9/11 this regulation allowed more then 6,000 people to flee the WTC). No regulations existed prior to this and if did everyone would've gotten out alive. If that was not in play the death toll from the WTC would've been as high as 10,500! Still think regulations are evil?

Do you not know history? This is the 2nd Worst Disaster in NYC history behind 9/11.

en.wikipedia.org...

With no laws on the books and with no regulation the corporations will do whatever the flip it wants to and the second you call them out on it they say, "It's legal and we are doing it and there isn't a thing that you can do about it". Stop defending and protecting the draconian practices.

An unfortunate reality is that the people need to be protected from these scrupulous and nefarious agenda. Force their hand by blocking these draconian policies as they've conned people and continue to scam people and nations.

This is where Gov't needs to have it's claws and fangs out and be the big, bad entity that keeps these firms up at night living in fear looking over their shoulder.

So Government should just be a rubber stamper for whatever the corporations bring them and not have them allowed to ask questions? What you seek is not capitalism but a flat out dictatorship.

Hook, line, sinker, SUNK now get back on topic.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Now the government gets to decide what content we can or can't access on the internet. Here's an idea..it's a doozy, so hold on: How about I decide what I can or can't access on the internet!

WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT!

/TOA

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

It is a damned if you do and a damned if you don't situation. If the ISPs win then they stifle any competitors from coming into the so called free market spoken of. Hence taking your feet and wallet to a competitor gets slim since all of the major isps worked together to get this done and dominate in unity amarket where they controlled the outcome. Then they cut off activities and services that oppose there business interests and bottom line without any form of oversight or regulation. On the other side of this coin is the government having some free reign to impose regulations we do not want and that is valid concern but it's a hell of a lot more transparent and approachable than what the ISPs would be doing in my humble opinion.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Thank those good ole "freedom loving Democrats" for Government regulation of the "internets". Totally worthless

Do you even know what net neutrality is? Or do you just rail against everything the gov't does (if it's led by Democrats) without even bothering to find out what it is?

What this regulation does is PREVENT the companies that provide the "pipes" for the internet from stopping or significantly impeding (via traffic prioritization) you or I from accessing whatever content we want.

Or, are you in favor of having all the big bucks corporations control what we see on the net via payoffs to the internet providers?

Wake up....
edit on 11/11/2011 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

You really have no idea what you are talking about, do you?

Net Neutrality is a brilliant thing.

Network neutrality (also net neutrality, Internet neutrality) is a principle that advocates no restrictions by Internet service providers or governments on consumers' access to networks that participate in the Internet. Specifically, network neutrality would prevent restrictions on content, sites, platforms, types of equipment that may be attached, and modes of communication

Oh, for you conversatives-under-a-rock, this FCC ruling doesn't allow the government to regulate content, it prevents ALL regulation of content or access. Pull your reactionary heads out of your asses.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Black and white thinking is a form of intellectual laziness.
In a complicated world there are many shades of gray, twisting reality into simple terms that give you emotional satisfaction amounts to nothing less than a distorted perception of reality.
Sometimes fire is good, sometimes fire is bad.

If this bill had passed your service provider could have censored your content.
In economic terms most, if not all, companies that provide high speed internet are oligopolies.
In oligopolistic markets consumer choice is limited.

Oligopoly

edit on 11-11-2011 by jlv70 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-11-2011 by jlv70 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
If it's not a Republican win, it's not a win... what bull hocky.

This Was a Win.
Net Neutrality is not perfect, as it is written; but it's better than giving TELCOMS the internet so they can 'nuke' us from orbit anytime we might get close to innovating anything.

First off let me state right now, I work from home and the bulk of my work requires massive downloads of new builds. (Which is why I get surf etc, a lot....)

1 - Packet sniffing, consistently clamps down on my data rates and how fast I get the new builds.
2 - Data Caps, so I get gouged for doing more work... 250GB cap gets hit quickly when you have 10-30GB build changes.
3 - Any NDA I agree to may as well be made of tissue paper considering every single email is scanned, sniffed 'inspected' in more than one way.

SO you want to GIVE Telecoms more ways to get into my work?
At least what little protections are in the Current Net Neutrality reg, will ensure there is a a regulatory body I can or could appeal for intervention should I need it.

It's not like the law makers didn't nuke patent protections so that the big corporations will almost always win...

If it makes you feel any better, think of it like regulating for clean water, if it wasn't regulated, what comes out of your tape could be worse for you than it is. The same with Net Neutrality.

M.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   

reply to post by hawkiye

Regulation is not cronyism and whoever told you that is an idiot. Cronyism by very definition is anti regulation.

Who writes this?

Perhaps it's a good thing that you haven't gone into business for yourself, one less person to destroy the nation and to ruin the environment and one less company to worry about violating human rights! Govt will never ever get out of the way and to wish that is a pipe dream. Companies have already proven time and time again that they cannot be trusted to self regulate so that ship has sailed and is long out to sea by now, you can still catch up with it if you hurry!

Read up on something called the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire of 1911. Regulations went online because 146 were killed with 71 injured because of a locked door. Regulations demand and require that in a factory setting that all exit doors must remain unlocked and unblocked. Leave it to deregulation and more of these will happen. Many of the deaths were due to people breaking windows and jumping to their deaths. This also mandated that smoke alarms must be in every household and business. This demanded that fire exit doors be established with their own independent corridors (BTW, during 9/11 this regulation allowed more then 6,000 people to flee the WTC). No regulations existed prior to this and if did everyone would've gotten out alive. If that was not in play the death toll from the WTC would've been as high as 10,500! Still think regulations are evil?

Do you not know history? This is the 2nd Worst Disaster in NYC history behind 9/11.

en.wikipedia.org...

With no laws on the books and with no regulation the corporations will do whatever the flip it wants to and the second you call them out on it they say, "It's legal and we are doing it and there isn't a thing that you can do about it". Stop defending and protecting the draconian practices.

An unfortunate reality is that the people need to be protected from these scrupulous and nefarious agenda. Force their hand by blocking these draconian policies as they've conned people and continue to scam people and nations.

This is where Gov't needs to have it's claws and fangs out and be the big, bad entity that keeps these firms up at night living in fear looking over their shoulder.

So Government should just be a rubber stamper for whatever the corporations bring them and not have them allowed to ask questions? What you seek is not capitalism but a flat out dictatorship.

Hook, line, sinker, SUNK now get back on topic.

Stop being so goddamned naive. We have more regulation then ever and with it the worst environmental disasters in history. Who ever told you that regulation prevents corporations from raping the environment and oppressing people is a blind idiot. Why are so many protesting corporatism with all the regulation? Because it is political cronysim to protect markets from competition. Fools that can't see that will continue to bleat thier non-sense to the government... It is akin to the slaves on the plantation crying to thier masters to treat them better. Idiots! Asking the same regulators who have enabled this corporatism to take over the country and do as they please to regulate them more is complete stupidity and expecting it to wok utter insanity.

Oh and by the way assuming you know anything about me speaks quite literally to your limited mental capacity. I have ran my own businesses for over 20 years. Cool aide drinkers like you are the problem! Unfortunately we are over run with them.... Sigh!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flint2011
reply to post by hawkiye

It is a damned if you do and a damned if you don't situation. If the ISPs win then they stifle any competitors from coming into the so called free market spoken of. Hence taking your feet and wallet to a competitor gets slim since all of the major isps worked together to get this done and dominate in unity amarket where they controlled the outcome. Then they cut off activities and services that oppose there business interests and bottom line without any form of oversight or regulation. On the other side of this coin is the government having some free reign to impose regulations we do not want and that is valid concern but it's a hell of a lot more transparent and approachable than what the ISPs would be doing in my humble opinion.

Seriously? Are you that naive? Government more transparent? ROTFLMAO!!! It doesn't matter because wireless non ISP free internet is on the verge of breaking out and this kind of crap will just fuel it more!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join