It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fear

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Fear. We love to demonize it and point to it as the source of all evil. « Nothing to fear but fear itself. »

I beg to differ.

If fear is such a source of suffering, why do people willingly read scary novels, watch scary movies, get on roller coasters, jump from high places with parachutes or bungee cords, go out with that one person that also kind of scares them because they stir up a feeling of vulnerability, of emotional risk ? There is something else going on here. We are drawn to experiencing fear.

Why ? My own perception that I’ve developed with time is that fear is delightful, and I personally have learned to be very drawn to it. Things that scare me excite me. I used to be very afraid of being on a horse, particulary of galloping on one. So I got a horse, learned to ride, of course ! Getting through a session of slow gaits was a thrill.
Then I got one that had only been used for crazy racing by a gypsy, so had only one gear- « fast as possible » when someone got in the saddle. Ended up in the operating room in the first week and then spent a year trying to get her to learn to slow down, but when I finally got to be able to gallop full speed by my own choice, it was total elation ! More so than someone who had never been afraid of that.

My husband was afraid of flying, so he got into aviation, and now nothing makes him as deliriously happy as flying !

The fear raises the experience to new levels of joy when it is overcome. It’s like saving up your money for a long time to buy something really great, rather than spending it in small amounts on things which are more subtle and less long lasting sources of pleasure.
It’s why we like surprises, and knowing ahead of time a surprise is coming (Christmas, for example) the playing out in our heads and imagination gets the excitement growing, for a bigger explosion later.

Fear is the act of holding your energy in reserve. It can be negative if you never ever spend it, and it limits your movements. Like if you were saving all your money even while you are starving- that is just plain stupid. But wisely chosen, acknowledged, and directed with goals for actually facing them one day, fear is just another gift we were born with to use in our varied experiences of matter and physicality. It is an element of delayed gratification, and why delayed gratification provides an experience that is more intense, more long lived, then the experiences of immediate gratification.

Fear is not to be feared, but treasured ! Go towards that which you fear, for it is like a piggy bank full of delightful energy, when you decide to break it open !

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Fear
12% of base mana
1.7 sec cast
Strikes fear in the enemy, causing it to run in fear for up to 20 sec. Damage caused may interrupt the effect. Only 1 target can be feared at a time.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Agreed. Fear is a gift. Fear is the biggest motivation for the preservation of your own life. When you push yourself to overcome fear, you're telling your body who's boss.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

There are different types of Fear. You seem to be talking about Fear of Risk. I agree that this form of Fear is healthy to release from time to time for purposes of enjoyment and self-fulfillment.

Other types of Fear, however, can be good for self-preservation. For example, having a strong fear of wasps is beneficial for your welfare. I don't think trying to release that fear is such a good idea.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
People like the feeling of fear if they have a certain amount of control, you can hide behind a cushion if the film gets a bit intense, it's a choice. Fear makes people feel alive because most feel pretty dead most of the time, it's a buzz. Society loves to feed you fear because in hides deep inside and eats away at you and makes you easy to control. We live in a fear based society.
In the 60s love and peace was promoted, what happened to those people?

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Required01
reply to post by Bluesma

Fear
12% of base mana
1.7 sec cast
Strikes fear in the enemy, causing it to run in fear for up to 20 sec. Damage caused may interrupt the effect. Only 1 target can be feared at a time.

More DOTs!!! Leeeerrroooyyy!!!
(Yeah my main is a lock
)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

yea sure to u fear is a chance to b superior free sense, u take everything as made just for u to enjoy that treasure of ur life, wat do u care about truth and about all that reality of nonsense when to u it is all about creations pass time as there is nothing else

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
People like the feeling of fear if they have a certain amount of control, you can hide behind a cushion if the film gets a bit intense, it's a choice. Fear makes people feel alive because most feel pretty dead most of the time, it's a buzz. Society loves to feed you fear because in hides deep inside and eats away at you and makes you easy to control. We live in a fear based society.
In the 60s love and peace was promoted, what happened to those people?

Those people are still here. I wouldn't say we live in a fear based society as much as we are a fear based species. As are all species. To overcome fear is to transcend physical life. This should be obvious given the fact that fear is a basic survival mechanism.

But I would never promote fear. Fear places the mind in bondage and sets you up for failure. Peace and love, however, can be liberating. The freedom is such that you see a depth of reality that fear would never allow you to see. Fear is only good for basic physical reality, but I believe there is more to reality than this physical reality.

When you learn that you are already going to live forever, then there is no need to fear threats to your survival. Eternity makes the concept of survival an illusion. Ultimately, I would go so far as to say that the need for survival doesn't create the fear instinct, it is the fear instinct that creates the need for survival.

Peace and love are among the qualities of a more infinite existence represented heavily in higher realms. And by peace and love, you have access to these higher levels of reality and truth. Don't take my word for it. See for yourself.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by absolutely
reply to post by Bluesma

yea sure to u fear is a chance to b superior free sense, u take everything as made just for u to enjoy that treasure of ur life, wat do u care about truth and about all that reality of nonsense when to u it is all about creations pass time as there is nothing else

What have you been smoking?

You don't know a thing about me.
I've been a spiritual seeker (and finder) for all my life.
But there comes a phase of that in which you realize that this part of your existance and experience (in physical reality) is not any less worthless than all the other dimensions of self.
Trying to reject it, hide from it, avoid it, through searching for what else is
is such a sad waste.
Sure, there is more.
But that does not mean that we need to run from this.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
is fear a separate feeling to shock?

just interested to read what others may think...
I do agree that fear plays an important role in survival.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Another funny little paradox in life-
It just happens to be when you embrace something,
accept it,
stop judging it,
That it begins to transform.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Without fear there would be no humor in the conquoring of it.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Not just that, fear is a natural archetype, perhaps the most natural, on the emotional level, that serves a substrate between the creator and the created.

Fear and Love are the source of reality. At another level, they're expansiveness and contraction, or centripetal and centrifugal etc.... Fear is something highly relevant in our relationship with God and the world around us. Fear - of being separated from God! Is this not a fear?? Or at least an apprehension, a reflex on the part on the mind against an undesirable possibility?

Do be immoral, is to essentially lack all fear of Heaven; to ignore the laws that the creator wants us to pursue; namely, conscience and reason. To go against conscience and reason is the epitome of arrogance, and hence, someone with such a mindset totally lacks a fear of God.

Do we jump into fire? No. we know the consequences and we internalize the pain, suffering and senselessness of it. Thus, we have a natural repulsion to those thoughts. Similarly, a Saint is repulsed and turned off from immoral behaviour because he knows the consequences of it; its as dumb as putting your hand in a fire.

The type of fear popularized by medieval christianity is not a high level fear; it is a base minimum and something relied upon by ignoramuses to live an orderly and just life. But such people don't have a very meaningful relationship with God, nor do they have any philosophical understanding.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

In their base, I consider love and fear as movements of attraction and repulsion. That's all.
There are all kinds of ways that the attraction or repulsion response is stimulated.
It can be a conditioned physical reaction (we got burned once, and then our body repulses from fire automatically afterwards) or it can willingly stimulated with thoughts.

The repulsion from certain acts that you deem wrong is an example of the second kind, for you have not experienced Hell, but have ideas and images of it that imagine suffering.
This is a tool for self discipline.

You create an attraction to certain acts because of the images and thoughts in your head connected to it too.

These two systems can sometimes be at odds with each other- for example, the body learns through experience that a certain act is associated with pleasure, so responds with attraction, while the mind may have ideas about it which attempt to stimulate repulsion.... so you get a struggle between mind and body.

Collective ethical and moral systems attempt to overide the body's natural impulses this way. One can create real suffering in association with an act the body does not find unagreeable. If, when talking about that kind of act, or having done it, the other members of the herd reject you, insult you, make you feel bad, then the body begins to make an association of discomfort, and is conditioned to repulse.

Sometimes our mind creates repulsion reactions early on that are not against our moral system, nor rational.
People who develop phobias which are irrational are an example. Reprogramming yourself can be done, in a progressive effort. It is a matter of educating the body and mind.

That cannot be done if you cannot admit or acknowledge the repulsion response.
It cannot be done if you reject the body and all it's instincts and learned reactions.

The danger in fear, and it's energy-reserving nature is in the case of build up, in which a time comes when it explodes in bursts that we cannot control. If you have a build up, it is useful to slowly use that energy, spending it bit by bit, learning how to direct and canalize it. You cannot do that if you are repulsed by the idea of paying attention to that reserve (because of your moral system).

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

jumping on any chance that could give u to feel superior to another is your way of being, which prove what i said about u being true, how did u conclude that i must been smoking when i didnt mention anything about tobacco or drugs ?

u proved it all, everything is like nothing bc the only true matter is u or what ones will do

meaning to use fear energy is the will to increase powers of life through all lies and rights abuses

the sense anyway madam is to rejection not to acceptance if u really meant here and now

and for who see humor of fears, i would say that this is your humor sense which is not everyone and definitely the opposite of true humor sense one

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by absolutely
reply to post by Bluesma

jumping on any chance that could give u to feel superior to another is your way of being, which prove what i said about u being true, how did u conclude that i must been smoking when i didnt mention anything about tobacco or drugs ?

u proved it all, everything is like nothing bc the only true matter is u or what ones will do

meaning to use fear energy is the will to increase powers of life through all lies and rights abuses

the sense anyway madam is to rejection not to acceptance if u really meant here and now

and for who see humor of fears, i would say that this is your humor sense which is not everyone and definitely the opposite of true humor sense one

I don't see any chance of seeming or feeling superior to anyone else here, and my question about your state is basically refering to your confused and practically illiterate writing here. I was wondering if there is an excuse for that, like just being high in the moment, having jetlag, or perhaps english is not your first language?

I basically don't understand what you are saying in this post, and I am sorry for that. I just felt like encouraging people to love life, enjoy it, and love themselves and others. The whole good/ bad polarity thing just doesn't compute in my brain. I think all things can be either good, bad or neutral, depending upon your choice of perspective and your intent. If something is getting in the way, causing you suffering, instead of judging it, sometimes choosing a different perspective and usage for it can be helpful.

It was just a suggestion. If it doesn't resonate with you, no biggie.
edit on 13-11-2011 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Collective ethical and moral systems attempt to overide the body's natural impulses this way. One can create real suffering in association with an act the body does not find unagreeable. If, when talking about that kind of act, or having done it, the other members of the herd reject you, insult you, make you feel bad, then the body begins to make an association of discomfort, and is conditioned to repulse.

This all rests on proper education. Whenever a status quo is in place, and this established norm is irrational, and is only in place not because the body "cant live without it", but because man has become habituated and senselessly drawn to perpetuating negative behavior, then, out of necessity, men have to endure being rejected by peers. In fact, if one is properly educated, such rejection would have little if any effect on his own inner vitality and effectiveness in the outside world. If such a person understood his revolt against moral complacency as being a divine and Godly thing, he wouldn't be bothered in the least bit by social ostracism

I for instance am constantly confronted by people who disagree with my opinions; at this site for instance, i am constantly encountering people who don't agree with my views, whether that be social conservatism, my views on gay marriage, Israel-Palestine, Judaism, Gnosticism, or theology in general, i do not adapt my views unless i genuinely believe them to be rational and just. If not, I'll accept any social ostracism and simply not care. This is how i am in life.

It cannot be done if you reject the body and all it's instincts and learned reactions.

The instincts are fine, but in only particular contexts. Contexts means everything. For instance, we wear clothing because its been socially agreed upon that being naked in public is inappropriate. In both a metaphysical sense, clothing shelters us from exteriority, from the vulnerability of being 'naked' to a hostile environment, as well as practically, the outer environment of nature forces us to cloth our body. Their is 'mirroring' between the psychological need for clothing, as well as a physical need. The physical is just a lower representation of the spiritual.

But some people ignore the moral importance and practicality of modesty in dress and manners. They like to overstep bounds in a Dionysian like need to destroy boundaries and anything they feel stifles their innate animal instincts. Such people, i would argue, have lost all sense. They contribute to the destruction of an outer order that's designed to instill an inner order; the polis is meant to be a substitution for God, in the world. The people who control the polis, the political-social sphere, are in other words, men endowed with Godly authority.

The only reason why people struggle with the dichotomy between mind and body is because we have an elite class which seeks to promote and exploit this inner conflict.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

no u use reason while u dont reason, this is the issue of everyone and everything as it is

i dont get it, why do u insist to use logics when u dont want to b logical ?

as why do u keep meaning freedom rights when u dont want to act alone?

why ur final argument is that love is the most superior of all while u dont objectively value anything more then urself?

u r obviously all intelligents too, why dont u find ur own justifications and stick to what u enjoy doing?

it is weird how everything is like that, this is why evil is the only answer, and that is more weird, how absolute darkness is an issue of truth? it is impossible

as if all is afraid of someone that might come and b the smartest of all, now there it is the craziest thing to say
how can everything and everyone b conditionned to fear miserable nothing powerless someone smart right?
im telling u absurd evil is the only clue

if u want the truth, it is easy to know since it is the truth so everything as any

the truth misters is objective superiority, hah? yea what u know very well

and freedom individuality out of it as u know very well too

ok so wat else do u want to know, release urselves from ur fake excuses and show some of ur means u do

so that is why when u see objective inferiority urself reality reject to b real through

but yea u have the freedom choice out of all reality and it is ur way to b superior evil there

now u will say that i talk nonsense that i must b on drugs or an african that never know how to spell a word

well thank u very much so i guess it is enough for now

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Fear.

At first I thought you were talking about this book. www.feoamante.com...

Of course, this emotion exists for a reason. But it has all too often been used to paralyze people when they should act, to threaten people when they should fight back, and to intimidate people who are too close to discovering the truth. Fear can be caused by something real. But the force of real fear can also be used to immobilize someone with a lie. Or to justify violence, in the case of war. Fear is used to manipulate people, and that's how it got its bad name.

Those who "have" to be scared to experience any sensation or feeling of being alive are pretty far gone. Exhilaration is just as powerful as fear and much more pro-survival.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by l_e_cox

it is reversed by evil, fear belongs to gods that fear the possible fact to witness a small nothing more right then them as one

what would make u feel if u discover for example that even ur child is superior to u? of course u will reject that possibility and act according to ur choice, but in truth if u accept to see it what is ur reaction? fear, from what? loosing u or loosing superiority back up to u? or fear of having to respect another? or fear of others disrespect to u? ....

fear is very unhealthy for survival issues, that is why all beings are ruled by positive lies

the only fact where it works through fear is when the fear is true so it is then bc of truth effects that would interfer there not the fear

that is how gods proceed, their ways is by reversing all they know so they stay in control and backed by all truth up only, evil ways

like u said what is negative immobilize u it kills u it cant b even a reality of u, u become immediately of something else if u stay there

that what prove that fear is of gods not of humans, since gods know thta they never die and powerful free ones so they can b those negative things as they want

like making fun of others, in truth it is that we enjoy making fun of what is bigger, bc we are small and our free positive energies is of being small and relative, so we can see how big can b stupid or nonsense at the same time that we can value and enjoy the petitesse value of our freedom

but there also they twisted it reversed it, as if gods make fun of us, so we become more vulnerable and pitiful
forcing us to make fun of each others, while it is not the humor truth but its reverse will

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join