It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thank You On This Veterans Day and Every Day.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by dillinger1983

Yes, we did our job. Some of us actually joined to serve and protect our nation, not for a job or benefits. I have used one benefit, and that was to purchase my home. I don't go to the VA hospital. There are far more vets who could use that service than me.

We don't expect a thank you, but appreciate it when given. Our thank you comes in the form of people like you, knowing we served so that you could have the freedom to express your feelings without fear of reprisal. When people bash the military, I am being thanked. When people protest our government, I am being thanked.

So all you have done is thank me for protecting your right to free speech.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Thank you Veterans for your service.

This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave. ~ Elmer Davis

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Hats off to my brothers and sisters.

Happy veterans day and stay proud and strong.
edit on 11-11-2011 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
(With the sincerest regards and appreciation for the veterans work in mind)
I unfortunately have to say that I think many of the veterans of this country have been betrayed by this country's system. I think what some soldiers have done in the name of freedom has been horrible and yet I know that there are those who actually want to fight for freedom and actual peace.I could never have done what the veterans of this country have put on the line.
I could never willfully go into war, I'll fight if I have to, but I don't choose to fight. War is horrible and I don't wish that on my worst enemy. I'd rather see this country build up its defenses (for the right reasons and without stepping on personal freedoms, like the TSA is doing) rather than being so offensive. We don't need anymore wars World Leaders, you're are not helping anything with all your childish temper tantrums.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Thank You On This Veterans Day and Every Day.,

In as few words as I can "WOOP!!!!!"

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
It's my pleasure to serve, I shall never take orders to do anything unconstitutional.

I am not even born in the US and I will defend her even if it takes giving my own life.

I love America and esspecially it's people, I am married to an American after-all

I am from the Netherlands originally.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I always tell people, don't thank us for what we do, but why we do it.

I'm in the Marine Corps and people always come and thank me, and all i think is how the things we do, we shouldn't be thanked for (invading countries and killing innocent). I feel like a thug who just does the mob boss's bidding. The honorable thing about the people in the military is their intentions. We thought we joined to fight for our freedom but it turns out were just fighting to bring a select few more power and money...

as bad as it sound, proud to be an american no longer applies... im more ashamed that right now i am required to support such criminals and support such crimes on humanity.

any how, thanks brothers for you initial courage when signing up to defend the country...

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
A big thanks to all the soldiers who fought for this country not for themselves, and acted knowingly on America's behalf (not the corrupt troops who go out randomly killing for the fun of it). Thanks for *trying* to protect our nation
Happy Veterans Day

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Thank You for the thread and the opportunity to say thanks to all of those who served before me...especially those who have made the extreme sacriface of coming home injured...and to the families that have made the ultimate sacriface and lost someone....Thank You

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
To the people of this country whom we served, thank you for your kind words of support and gratitude.

To the corrupt politicians, bankers and corporations who only seem to want to antagonize veterans:
May one day you find yourselves in the same position that you have caused Veterans to be in by the corrupt legislation that is passed so that greedy corporations can go into other countries and steal their resources.

Though some may say that it is veterans fault for joining the military we join to serve the people and protect the constitution not to serve corrupt politicians and enable greedy banks and corporations to steal by invading other countries. The hypocrisy of "passing legislation to help veterans" on veterans day while ignoring, antagonizing and stealing our benefits the rest of the year is a measure on which everyone should judge those who do these things at the ballot box and by boycotting corporations products and banking services.

www.nchv.org...

FAQ about Homeless Veterans

Who are homeless veterans?

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) states the nation’s homeless veterans are predominantly male, with roughly five percent being female. The majority of them are single; come from urban areas; and suffer from mental illness, alcohol and/or substance abuse, or co-occurring disorders. About one-third of the adult homeless population are veterans.

America’s homeless veterans have served in World War II, the Korean War, Cold War, Vietnam War, Grenada, Panama, Lebanon, Afghanistan and Iraq (OEF/OIF), and the military’s anti-drug cultivation efforts in South America. Nearly half of homeless veterans served during the Vietnam era. Two-thirds served our country for at least three years, and one-third were stationed in a war zone.

Roughly 56 percent of all homeless veterans are African American or Hispanic, despite only accounting for 12.8 percent and 15.4 percent of the U.S. population respectively.

About 1.5 million other veterans, meanwhile, are considered at risk of homelessness due to poverty, lack of support networks, and dismal living conditions in overcrowded or substandard housing.

How many homeless veterans are there?

Although flawless counts are impossible to come by – the transient nature of homeless populations presents a major difficulty – VA estimates that 107,000 veterans are homeless on any given night. Over the course of a year, approximately twice that many experience homelessness. Only eight percent of the general population can claim veteran status, but nearly one-fifth of the homeless population are veterans.

Why are veterans homeless?

In addition to the complex set of factors influencing all homelessness – extreme shortage of affordable housing, livable income and access to health care – a large number of displaced and at-risk veterans live with lingering effects of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and substance abuse, which are compounded by a lack of family and social support networks.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
As a grateful veteran myself I wish to convey to my brothers and sisters a message of thanks for your service to our great nation.....We are America...

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Had to share this, My grandfather, the interviewed in the video, Much respect to all who have served and continue to serve and fight today. Happy Veterans Day.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceWombat04
I have no doubt that this topic will draw the ire of some people. I fully understand and respect that point of view, but I see things a bit more concilliatorily myself.

While I too oppose war and wish people did not choose to take part in them or feel that they were necessary (just being honest,) and while I would and could never take part in one myself, I still have gratitude and respect for soldiers. I will explain why.

For the same reason I am grateful for and respect police officers despite some of them exercising abuses of power, I do not loathe or hold enmity for soldiers just because of a policy or a conflict I disagree with being executed by them. I may not personally agree with how their spirit of sacrifice manifests specifically, I do honor and hold gratitude and respect for that spirit itself, for their sacrifices, and the sacrifices of their families.

So to you who serve I say: thank-you for your service and your sacrifices, and for those of your families. I honor the spirit of sacrifice which calls you to duty, even if I don't personally agree with the way it works or the results necessarily.

I hope that's a fair and reasonable way of opposing war while also thanking and respecting vets. (Though I’m still sure someone somewhere will take issue nonetheless. All I can do is be honest.)

Very well said and I share the sentiment.

War is something that the elite government decides upon, or many times people even higher up than that, and the soldiers are merely grunts doing the dirty work. They do as they are told whether they agree with it or not. In some ways that is good and in some ways it is bad.

Either way, they display courage and strength for this country whenever needed, and we must be grateful for the sacrifices they have made, continue to make and will someday make in the future. However, that does not excuse war crimes nor war criminals and for some, this honor does not apply.

Knowing the difference and feeling the difference inside your own heart is where the difficulty lies and where the conflict originates as well.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by dillinger1983
I'll "thank a vet" when I find one that meets the following criteria:
1. was on the battlefield actually IN combat, not an army cook or someone behind a desk
2. volunteered to join (not drafted)
3. was not compensated/paid

Everyone else was just doing their job. You don't get a special day or a thank you for doing your job, its what you're supposed to do. How about thanking someone who saves lives, like a doctor or EMT? And don't give me the argument that veterans save lives. Taking lives to save lives makes your argument invalid.

/rant over

I was in the Regular Army, I wholeheartedly agree with what you have wrote, this whole Veterans Day thing is PROPAGANDA//////// complain about helping those who need help (People on welfare), Kick the alcoholics and drug addicts while they're down, All hail the veterans! War is totally justified, so long as you aren't a Christian!
edit on 10/01/11 by Wonders because: WOW, just had to revise!

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I would also add that that while honoring all of our veterans , we should realize that the fight for freedom is never really over ,...we must all be vigilant & make sure we retain the liberties they died for , or we do them a great disservice ,....

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
to my yankee comrades!
we call it rememberence day here in england. much love for the sacrifices your men made alongside ours in ww1, 2, iraq and afghanistan.
i'm humbled by the sacrifices they made and proud that we share such values.

god bless the dead
Amen.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Your welcome, the spirit is alive tonight/today. Sitting at the table at Applebees I was overwhelmed by the conversations about our country, now I don't feel alone any more. New and old vets Vietnam, Desert Storm, Iraq, Afghanistan... We all felt used and betrayed by our government. We are not fond of corporations and the issues around us...I'd say we vets are watching with eyes like a hawk right now, knowing our key purpose is to defend the citizens of the U.S., and the constitution.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Enjoy the day ladies and gentlemen. And if you have a drink or two, drink one for the Marines. Drink one for the sailors. Drink for the Airmen and drink one for the soldiers. Drink one for the men and women who are safe at home and two for the ones who are deployed. And last, but most important, drink one for our fallen brothers and sisters who have made the ultimate sacrifice.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Thanks for the OP, Its so refreshing to see proper thanks that comes with respect.

I know many veterans that have served in many different capacities. They are all wonderful
people, men and women. My heartfelt thanks to all of them, and all of you here on ATS.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I maybe antiwar but i have huge respects to the Army and Marines and i just wanted to say Thank you for your service and the Bravery and Honor.

edit on 11-11-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-11-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join