It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shots fired near Occupy Oakland Camp - 1 Dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Six gunshots rang out shortly before 5 p.m. several feet from the 12th Street BART station adjacent to the plaza where Occupy protesters have set up camp.

Several people on Twitter said the victim was not related to the Occupy Oakland movement, but a person acting as a spokesperson for the protesters told ABC7 the victim may have been hiding out from a person or a group of people at the encampment shortly before the incident.

A crowd quickly formed a human chain around the individual who was shot until police arrived. Oakland police are currently interviewing eyewitnesses to determine what happened.

Oakland Police Chief Howard Jordan confirmed to ABC7 News that the shooting victim passed away from his injuries.

City councilman Ignacio de la Fuente said his biggest fear had happened.

"I have been very vocal on the fact that this cannot continue," De La Fuente said in a phone interview with ABC7 News. "I think fear has become a reality. This mayor has got to take responsibility for that."

De La Fuente said the Occupy encampment "does a lot of harm to the city and the individuals, and they should just pack and leave -- and if not, we should take whatever action is necessary."

The 12th Street BART station was briefly closed at the request of Oakland police after the shooting. BART says there is currently a 10 minute delay.

The shooting came on the one-month anniversary of the establishment of the nearby Occupy Oakland encampment at Frank Ogawa Plaza. Demonstrators organized a makeshift candlelight memorial for the victim at an intersection near the scene of the shooting

(Edit2: I just sourced my own thread. wtf am I doing. Let me get the link)

abclocal.go.com.../local/east_bay&id=8427634

I have no words. I'm just saddened. I hope the media doesn't attribute this to relate to OWS (or use it to shut OWS down). It's sad someone died. May he RIP.

It's a sad, dangerous world. I also find it sickening that the mayor is trying to end OWS because of this. I'm not one to shout conspiracy, but it pisses me off that they'd do that.

Edit: Added my Source, I forgot.
edit on 11/10/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

There's about 4 threads already:

Via Alice Mechler: A 35-year-old military veteran has died at a hospital after shooting himself Thursday in an Occupy Wall Street encampment in Vermont's largest city, a spokesman said. The public was not believed to be at risk after the afternoon shooting at City Hall Park in Burlington, but the circumstances were still being investigated, said Burlington Police Deputy Chief Andi Higbee. Police would not confirm that the shooting was a suicide, but witnesses said the man shot himself.

Another military vet... Makes you wonder how many we'll end up losing going at this rate.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by drew1749
I have no words.

My words are "already" and "posted"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Americanist

sorry didn't see the other threads. None in this forum especially. Anyways it's another military vet? Wtf is going on in Oakland? That isn't good. This sucks.

I was telling my friend a few weeks ago that the protests were going to be peaceful while he swore someone was going to die for the cause.

I guess my friend was right. Then again we have to see if this was even related to OWS. (I guess blood has been spilt though. All the violence from Police)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

they weren't in this forum. Don't be rude about it. I've already apologized. Don't "Cool story bro" my post. I didn't see your thread. If mods see fit my post will be merged with yours or locked. Until then I'd rather keep the discussion here.

On that same note I just read your thread. I have updated information. So still in this case I'd rather the discussion take place here. It's up to the mods to decide in the end though.

On topic however do we know what the shooting was about? I need to know what actually happened.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Six shots to commit suicide? Does not add up, I want more facts.

Before anyone starts pointing fingers at OWS, I want to know the probability of this happening if there was no protest going on.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Not sure what's happening in Oakland, but it's Oakland... Perhaps Raiders gear was involved or some Air Jordans.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Six shots near the BART station was a murder. The suicide was a different incident in a different city.

Allegedly the victim ran over to the encampment to hide from the shooter. This would not make him part of OWS, nor can it be said he died "for the cause".

As for the chances of this happening if there was no Occupy movement - it happens all the time in Oakland. Perhaps you are not familiar with Oakland, but it was a pretty rough neighborhood long before there were any kinds of protests.

tl;dr the only thing this really has to do with OWS is that it occurred near their camp.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
Six shots to commit suicide? Does not add up, I want more facts.

Before anyone gets even more confused, take a second to read the articles and look through the recent threads instead of demanding more facts. I know you can do it!

Today there were 2 shooting incidents.

The apparent suicide happened in Burlington, the other shooting happened in Oakland (where the six shots were reported).

The similarities, ie: GUN, OWS, are there, so the misunderstanding is an easy one, but do take a second to get those facts on your own or you'll never get any answers.

ETA: I realise that it's not always going to be easy getting the story either if you're too partisan or stubborn to check both sides of an issue.

For instance:

If you go to CNN right now, you wouldn't know either one of them even happened because there isn't so much as a peep about it on their page. (I just looked)

Fox, as much as you hate them, has both stories posted right next to each-other. Go figure.

edit on 10-11-2011 by lernmore because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
It's odd that people here in the US don't give a lot of credit to the occupiers but in other countries that they see on the news they have so much sympathy such as rebel forces in Iran, lybia, and china. the occupiers want something to change but they need a leader. You can't have a revolution without a leader to rally the people. From the outside it just looks like a incoherent mob or just a bunch of beat necks. I don't even know what they stand for, I hear corporate greed, but what about political greed?? I think if we could reed our government of lobbyists and corporate donations during a presidential campaign it would help but voting for more and more lifelong politicians such as the current president, Rick Perry, Mitt Romney, and Hermann Cain . Can't a normal person run, like a farmer or a guy or gal on the manufacturing line. I am so sick of hearing they are a small business owner that knows how to meet a payroll. Have you ever worked for one? They don't know what they are doing. most are not even educated in business. It's just crazy what we will believe, might as well elect one of the American idle runner ups.

~Morpheus

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
What I find disgusting is now, Councilman Ignacio De La Fuenta, is using this to tragedy for political purposes and to try and shut down Occupy Oakland. He mentions in an interview here that there is now going to be a hearing of No Confidence against the Mayor. He either has no facts or left them out intentionally.

From the video linked in the OP...protesters immediately ran over to surround the man who had been shot, linking arms protecting him until the police arrived also medics from the camp tried to help the man.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
What I find disgusting is now, Councilman Ignacio De La Fuenta, is using this to tragedy for political purposes and to try and shut down Occupy Oakland. He mentions in an interview here that there is now going to be a hearing of No Confidence against the Mayor. He either has no facts or left them out intentionally.

From the video linked in the OP...protesters immediately ran over to surround the man who had been shot, linking arms protecting him until the police arrived also medics from the camp tried to help the man.

You took the words right out of my mouth, Kali.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Momus
Six shots near the BART station was a murder. The suicide was a different incident in a different city.

Allegedly the victim ran over to the encampment to hide from the shooter. This would not make him part of OWS, nor can it be said he died "for the cause".

As for the chances of this happening if there was no Occupy movement - it happens all the time in Oakland. Perhaps you are not familiar with Oakland, but it was a pretty rough neighborhood long before there were any kinds of protests.

tl;dr the only thing this really has to do with OWS is that it occurred near their camp.

"I ran through the forest, so therefore, I am a tree."

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Sounds like gang violence to me. Oakland isn't exactly Beverley Hills you know.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

What TPTB want is for the protests to stop.

One obvious strategy is to make the protests look dangerous.

A mayor in Oregon has already taken this bait and has ordered the one in his town to shut down.

This should not surprise anyone. It has always been done this way.

In Haiti a spontaneous public demonstration is called a "manifestation." In Port-au-Prince these have a reputation for being violent. Look at the news stories from around the world. It's the same everywhere.

It would be a great propaganda victory for TPTB to make us believe that going outside to do just about anything is just too dangerous, and that the best thing to do is to stay inside and watch it all on TV. If you agree with that, you will get what you deserve.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I rather see people losing there life for fighting for the humanity and the light rather than for the dark governments and there greed and control. Why can 100 men die in a ambush in Iraq go in silence but 1 person dies for what matters and is in favour of the light and its all over the news in a negative perspective.!

edit on 11-11-2011 by unknown32 because: spelling

new topics

top topics

join