It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something very odd just happened on my computer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
A few minutes ago, I was watching a video on here on ATS, and suddenly a loud buzzing noise came from nowhere....it sounded like when you are searching for a radio station,you know, the sort of staticy buzz? It lasted about 6 seconds. I double checked the video to be sure it wasn't on there, and I checked if anything was running on my computer that would make a sound. Nothing. It almost blew my eardrums out! Has this happened to anyone else?

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

OS?

2nd

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
A high power CB radio on a truck/car can splash over speakers if they get close enough. Where I use to live it was really loud. Cell phones also come through stereo & cpu speakers. Most likely just a frequency interference, if it's more than that then others will come out the wood work talking about it.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

Emachine running Windows 7 ( it was coming from the speakers and headphone.....now it's stopped and everything's fine

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Did you get a text message, phone call on your cell phone around that time? Anything producing or receiving a signal close to the computer?

Unshielded headphone or speaker cables on my end result in something possibly similar whenever a cellphone is sending or receiving a signal (I can usually tell a text or call is coming in a few seconds before I actually get notification on my phone as result).

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Ohhh ok. Maybe that's it. I have never had it happen before....it scared the *beep* out of me! Thanks for the reply

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

No....my cell phone is on the desk, but it's turned off right now. I checked everything I could think of that could have interferred, but nothing.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Ah, thanks. Hard to say but I tend to agree with JibbyJedi. I would go over all of your cabling and make sure the speaker stuff is unobstructed and is not crossed over by any other power cables or connector cables. But especially the power cables.

You might also allow the thing to run on something long from YouTube to confirm that you are not going to have an ongoing problem, but it sounds hardware related.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Background advertisement pop-up possibly?

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

How far away could a CB transmit? There's a highway here, but I'm a good distance from it (out in the country) My house is pretty far from the road out in the woods.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
A few minutes ago, I was watching a video on here on ATS, and suddenly a loud buzzing noise came from nowhere....it sounded like when you are searching for a radio station,you know, the sort of staticy buzz? It lasted about 6 seconds. I double checked the video to be sure it wasn't on there, and I checked if anything was running on my computer that would make a sound. Nothing. It almost blew my eardrums out! Has this happened to anyone else?

Try check your audio cable, that it is in the computer 100%.
If the cable are "half in" then you can get all kind of annoying sounds.

Hope you find an solution!

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

OK thanks! I am going to check it out. I really appreciate the help!

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
A high power CB radio on a truck/car can splash over speakers if they get close enough. Where I use to live it was really loud. Cell phones also come through stereo & cpu speakers. Most likely just a frequency interference, if it's more than that then others will come out the wood work talking about it.

That's true, when my cell phone is too close to my IP Cisco phone at work it starts making static sounds from the speaker and sometimes the crackling of static pushes my mouse pointer upwards on the monitor.
edit on 10-11-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-11-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

I have seen a CB actually reboot a PC from about 10 feet away. Some old school truckers are still using some illegal equipment that can burn out your regular AM/FM radio, a signal like that could interfere with your speakers at great distance.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by mileslong54

No, nothing like that. It was the first thing I thought of....but nothing was running. It was weird because I was on a thread where someone was talking about hearing strange transmissions on their TV and suddenly....BZZZZZZZZZZ!!!
Freaked me out for a second!

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by BIGPoJo

Wow....I never realized that. It hasn't done it since, and everything is working fine, including my speakers and headphone. I'm going to go watch a video and see what happens. BRB

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat

How far away could a CB transmit? There's a highway here, but I'm a good distance from it (out in the country) My house is pretty far from the road out in the woods.

Range for a mobile CB Radio could be anywhere from 1 or 2 miles, to even 20 to 25 Miles or more, depending on the terrain, type of antennas used, & other factors. The "typical" range to expect from a mobile CB, with a good antenna, is about 2 to 5 miles, but you will actually get both more & less than this, in certian areas & terrain, & as you drive around.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
It was a secret message from the Illuminati.

Not to bash eMachines but that could be your first problem. But it's likely a loose audio cable.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
My guitar rig catches interference from many sources, cell phones do a sort of pulsating buzz, and with radio transmissions I get all kinds of stuff, sometimes you can actually make out words...With musical equipment, it's all about proper grounding, impedance matching and distance...one good tip, never touch a microphone while barefoot and standing on damp grass holding an improperly (polarity issues) grounded guitar, unless you like that kind of zing.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by HawkeyeNation

Tell me about it!!!
I will never own another one. At the time I had to go cheap....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join