It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Killing dogs is bad, but killing snakes is funny?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by psychosgirl
a coral snake for a pet

A ture coral snake is the most deadly in the states.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   
i know....caught it in Alabama...stayed in a terranium. i never tried to mess with it. i was VERY young and curious as to how it would hold up in captivity. i only had it for a week or so and then i let it go. i know it was a coral because i checked with a vet and looked through several reptile books. are they usually found in Alabama?

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
A ture coral snake is the most deadly in the states.

Red touches yellow, kill a fellow. Red touches black, venom lack. There are a few snakes that mimic the deadly coral snake - king snakes and milk snakes.

Anyhow, to keep this on topic of why and when people kill snakes, I sometimes hear people say that they kill a snake because it's venomous. It amazes me that people who are so afraid of the venom in snakes will approach one, attempt to kill it, and create danger for themselves when the snake wants to stay as far away from people as it can. They bite when cornered, taunted, or frightened by someone coming up on it or stepping on it - as do most animals. Poisonous snakes don't go hunting people, and know it wastes their energy and is dangerous for them. They want to defend themselves when needed, but otherwise they want to take off.

So a question to you all - do you think killing POISONOUS snakes is justified?

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Ahh.. but there is one that does like to kill because it can. Black mamba.

No its not justified.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   
My brother used to think that killing baby snakes was really funny especialy if I was with him as he would snap there necks in front of my nose.
So I never liked snakes very much and when I was in grade 6 the boys found out that I didn't like them so they decided to take it one step further.They backed me up againest a wall with a snake in front and everytime the snake would hiss it's tounge would hit my nose,
Guess what I'm not scared of them any more,now I've got a phoba.WELL IT HAS TAKEN OVER 20 YEARS just to be able to look at a picture.BOYS it isn't fun

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by freespirit
My brother used to think that killing baby snakes was really funny especialy if I was with him as he would snap there necks in front of my nose.

Thats so sad and cruel I want to cry. Imagine if he was doing that to puppies. He'd be labled a future serial killer and hospitalized for mental health.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by freespirit

Is he ok today? Did he delight is such cruelness in other aspects of his life? If one of my kids did that, I'd of had them in therapy ASAP.....I always taught my kids to have respect for all life...as my mother did me....how awful

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
Is he ok today? Did he delight is such cruelness in other aspects of his life? If one of my kids did that, I'd of had them in therapy ASAP.....I always taught my kids to have respect for all life...as my mother did me....how awful

Nah, he's pretty messed up. Paranoid to boot.

MBF

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedBalloon

So a question to you all - do you think killing POISONOUS snakes is justified?

I kill poisonous snakes all the time, mostly rattlesnakes.

It makes life a lot safer for me, I'm a farmer.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 12:50 AM
link   
MBF,

YOu probably don't do it as entertainment..
I think it's just fine, to protect your own life!

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 04:53 AM
link   
In Portugal, killing someone's pet is a crime, even if it is a snake,but the punishment is just a small amount of money, even for a Portuguese. I do not know if the law has been adjusted, because it was from the 1920s, so the value was ridiculous.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
In Portugal, killing someone's pet is a crime, even if it is a snake,but the punishment is just a small amount of money, even for a Portuguese.

Killing someone's pet is awful, but I'm also talking about killing these animals in general for fun and for no other reason than to cause them pain or eliminated them from the earth because of personal preference.

I'm not a vegetatian, and I wear leather shoes, and I understand what happens when animals are rendered and used for food, clothing, animal feed, soap, cosmetics, etc. I'm not here debating if animals should be killed at all, just the hypocrisy of people getting worked up and enraged over a dog's death, while they laugh and go after snakes to kill them just for fun. I can't believe there was even a blog making jokes about it! Makes me so sad for those animals.

Snakes aren't as responsive as dogs, or as smart, but they have personalities, they feel pain, and they have a desire to go on living and are very aware of people.

I feel like such an over the top sap to even write all this, but I have a soft spot for the little scaly guys, and it pisses me off to see such a difference in the way stories about different animals being killed are so extreme as to have a CNN headline vs an "Oddity" humor story and blog.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Pet or not killing anything for no reason is wrong, however people overlook certain animals. Ive worked in the animal trade for many years and ill never understand the mentality ive seen. Its funny people will not hesitate to kill a reptile or to feed a rat to a reptile yet every now and then someone gets caught feeding a kitten or puppy to a snake and charges are filed. ( btw happened recently near you ladyV ) its the same people who will bitch about hunting deer while they munch down a burger.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   
It make weak people feel strong to be able to take the life of something.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   
i forgot to add that if you found a coral snake in alablama it was lost and very confused as to where it should have been. However a kingsnake with a similiar pattern would not be entirely unheard of in that area here check out the images on google.

images.google.com...

MBF

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
MBF,

YOu probably don't do it as entertainment..
I think it's just fine, to protect your own life!

No, I don't do it for entertainment. I will go after a rattlesnake with full intention of killing it because the way I look at it, every one that I kill is one that can't kill someone. Now if I see a nonpoisonous snake, I will try not to harm it. In fact, if I see one trying to leave the farm, I will turn him around and try to get him to go back, unless it is dry and he is headed to water. The more nonpoisonous snakes you have around, the less chance there is of having poisonous snakes.

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 07:05 AM
link   
The truth is unless the animal has a cute face hardly anybody cares if the creture is treated badly.

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Have you heard of the Jain religion ? It's followers believe in "true mercy"
and those that follow it to the letter, monks, nuns etc, will do everything possible to avoid taking the life of any living creature , even sweeping the floor where they walk ,and covering their mouths with cloth so as not to inhale flies.

The General Order of Observance of Mercy:

If we are vigilant in daily life, whether in social, domestic,
or business affairs, we can certainly save many innocent lives
from destruction. We can prevent violence on the lives of ants,
flies, bugs, cockroaches and such other small insects, if we are
alert while we eat, drink, bathe, cook, arranging our books and
other things. If we become merciful towards these small
insects, how can we possibly become cruel towards big animals
like cows, buffaloes, dogs, sheep, goats, donkeys, horses and
even human beings? Human being is considered superior of all
life forms.

www.angelfire.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by pantha
Have you heard of the Jain religion ? It's followers believe in "true mercy"
and those that follow it to the letter, monks, nuns etc, will do everything possible to avoid taking the life of any living creature , even sweeping the floor where they walk ,and covering their mouths with cloth so as not to inhale flies.

The General Order of Observance of Mercy:

If we are vigilant in daily life, whether in social, domestic,
or business affairs, we can certainly save many innocent lives
from destruction. We can prevent violence on the lives of ants,
flies, bugs, cockroaches and such other small insects, if we are
alert while we eat, drink, bathe, cook, arranging our books and
other things. If we become merciful towards these small
insects, how can we possibly become cruel towards big animals
like cows, buffaloes, dogs, sheep, goats, donkeys, horses and
even human beings? Human being is considered superior of all
life forms.
Cant say that I have heard of Jain religion.

www.angelfire.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 07:38 AM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

The essence of Jainism is concern for the welfare of every being in the universe and for the health of the universe itself.

I myself hate the thought of killing any living creature like spiders even though I'm scared of them, I even feel a bit guilty if I swat a fly and would rather try to direct it out of the window. I must admit though I feel no guilt about exterminating the fleas on my cat and the nits that my kids bring home from school.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join