It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

See you next Doomsday!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
So 2005 YU55 sailed-on by, and Elenin went *poof*.

Now taking bets on the next inocuous object that will mean CERTAIN DEATH FOR US ALL!!!11!!

edit on 10-11-2011 by Saint Exupery because: Miskeyed
extra DIV

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
very interesting indeed.

what your sayin is what i feel.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by wizard88

More like how functional my brain is.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saint Exupery

No offense, but I liked your thread better while your opening post was blank.

To me that said it all!

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Saint Exupery

It shows.... your link doesn't work.

Kyle

ETA: You fixed just while I was saying it doesn't work... touche

2nd ETA: Or maybe you didn't lol, it doesn't seem to have embedded properly...

Awesome song lol, could do with a guitar or two though

edit on 10/11/2011 by kai22 because: (no reason given)

Allow me... ahem... *epic facepalm* on my part...

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saint Exupery

some people dont get good humour these days

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Memo to self:

Never try to start a thread before the coffee is ready.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
24th December real end of the Mayan calender, not sure what the cause will be tho..

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by trustnothing

December 21st, 2012 is the Mayan cycle end date. And is there any meaning to the 'end date' other than old cycle ends, new begins.... good question. For a while I was focused on next year intently but then I stopped and noticed that the NOW has A-looooot of interesting stuff going on...

So my new focus is week by week. And honestly Ive received much more enjoyment as a whole that way.

I kind of enjoy the thrill of not knowing what to wake up to tomorrow...

edit on 10/11/11 by ThatGuy45 because: dec. 21 sorry i had stated the 22nd. its the winter solstice date.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Its strange to me about the stream and flurry of doom and gloom predictions that have occurred in this year of 2011, Even the pre-2000 predictions paled in comparison. The 2012 hype will probably soon take over as the all time king of speculation and heady doom predictions ever recorded and abused.

I've read doom stories and threads this year that predicted the Mayan calendar projected last month (Oct) as the date the world would end. An asteroid that would either crash into the Earth or the moon after NASA lied to us. A comet that might be a planet would change the Earths orbit or flood our atmosphere with cyanide gas. The comet discoverer's name was even a doom prediction and NASA lied to us again, but wait, it might be a giant UFO.

The world wide crash of the monetary system leading to the fall of all governments, Japan's earthquake and radiation were a harbinger of things to come, chemtrails that sprayed even those in power with death, worldwide earthquake predictions of doom, The sun, the moon, and the continents are all out of place. etc., etc., etc.,

I just wonder if the doomsayer's are becoming anesthetized by all of the failed hype and fear or just warming up for the granddaddy of them all, 2012?

edit on 10-11-2011 by dcmb1409 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ThatGuy45

from this website (perhaps not a great source) www.greatdreams.com...

The present fifth epoch is called Nahui-Olin (Sun of Earthquake), which began in 3113 BC and will end on December 24, 2011. It will be the last destruction of human existence on Earth. The date coincides closely with that determined by the brothers McKenna in The Invisible Landscape as “the end of history” indicated by their computer analysis of the ancient Chinese oracle-calendar, the I Ching.

I think the date in November is as a result of calculating in an older calender

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Saint Exupery

There is always the Solar transit of Venus on the 6th of June at around 01:29 UTC.
From the linked site;

What is a transit of Venus?
-When Venus passes directly between earth and the sun, we see the distant planet as a small dot gliding slowly across the face of the sun."

When is it?
-The next transit of Venus occurs June 5 or 6, 2012, depending on your location. Observers in North America see it the evening of June 5. This will be the last transit of Venus to occur in your lifetime.

What should I do?
-Mark your calendar. Plan your observing location and eye safety. Tell friends. Download and support the ToV phone app. Enjoy the rare sight!

This transit shows a slight potential of being kinda scary since Venus has an ion tail like that of comets.

The "induced magnetotail" that points away from Venus in the direction of the earth is a teardrop-shaped plasma structure filled with “a lot of little stringy things” that was first detected by NASA’s Pioneer Venus Orbiter in the late 1970s
Earth spacecraft have detected this ion tail.

In 1997, Europe’s Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) Satellite showed that the tail stretched some 45,000,000 kilometres into space, more than 600 times as far as anyone had realized and almost far enough to “tickle” the earth when the two planets are in line with the sun.
Source

Of coarse this theory gets better when we show the possibility that little bugs [microbial] could possibly 'hitch a ride' on this tail during transit.
Wait...little bugs?....Venus harbor life?

The clouds on Venus are thought to be the planet's best bet for life because the temperatures there are cooler than at the too-hot surface, and water vapor has been detected in the atmosphere.

"The temperature and pressure there are entirely congenial to the survival of certain types of microbes," said researcher Chandra Wickramasinghe of the Cardiff Centre for Astrobiology at Cardiff University in Wales. "Microbes are known to survive in similar environments on Earth."
How could these things get to Earth then?

...a new paper argues not only that Venusian clouds could harbor microbial life, but also that the life there could potentially hitch a ride aboard the solar wind to Earth.

the assertion that this life could potentially float from Venus to Earth is novel, and contentious.
So in other words, and this is actually my opinion as well, the chance for life to exist on Venus, microbial or otherwise, is extremely low. The chance that this life could survive a trip trough space to Earth on this ion tail is even more unlikely. Even more damaging to this potential doomsday theory is the fact that Venus transited the Sun back in June 8th 2004 and we are all still here, well at least those of us that are still here are all still here.
2004 Venus Transit.
Of coarse logic and reason never stopped 'doomsday sayers' before.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Good contributions.

I am simply appalled at the number of times I see someone post, "I saw [fill in the blank - for example 'a bright object next to the Moon'] and I came to ATS to see if anyone knew what it is." Does it not occur to them to find a source with legitimate expertise (an amateur astronomy website, in the above example)?

Mind you, ATS does have plenty of people who do know what they're talking about and who are willing to educate (see my "friends" list), but there are even more ignorami who persistently spew wildly inaccurate drivel.

Perhaps they are afraid of "looking dumb" and therefore come to a place that they know has both informed members and people who, like themselves, are curious and questioning. I don't have a problem with this. When I my car starts coughing-up a hair-ball, I'll usually talk to a friend before I take it to a mechanic.

What disturbs me is that some people seem to want to latch-on to the drivel. In the context of the OP, They would rather believe that the world is coming to an end than to learn about the universe in which they live.

Take Elenin: A genuinely curious person would find it neat that so many comets are discovered every year, and that some of them can be disintegrated by something called a "coronal mass ejection" from the sun. For me, in my mundane existence, it comforts me to know that such cool things are real and are going on all the time.

However, it seems like reality isn't enough for some people. The Doomers want something to come along and release them from their mundane existence (sadly, not realizing they actually do have the power to change their lives for the better if they only apply themselves).

The best analogy I can come up with is your neighborhood: You can ignore your neighbors, or you can get to know them. The Doomers seem to want to believe that one of their neighbors must be serial killer who sooner or later will come to claim them.

That world view is sick. How can anyone live like that?

new topics

top topics

join