It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joe Paterno fired as football coach at Penn State

page: 33
<< 30  31  32    34 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Varemia

Loyalty is when you forgo doing something else that would give greater rewards. Presumably, reporting this would not result in a reward (unless his ethics alone were rewarding), so not reporting it has nothing to do with loyalty. So, there must have been some other reason why it wasn't reported. Speculation is necessary in the absence of facts. Hmm.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I just read Sandusky wrote an autobiography called "Touched". This was AFTER he retired. He also adopted five boys and was a foster parent. (No genetic children - makes you wonder why?)

Something just doesn't seem right here. This was after the Catholic abuse scandal and police are, for the most part, educated that pedophiles don't stop.

If they really thought nothing happened, they wouldn't have made him retire.

Here is my guess on what happened. The "great Penn State" got that way because they bent they rules and engaged in unethical activities. When this happened with Sandusky, they didn't want an investigation because they were afraid their activities would be exposed.

As for why the assistant coach wasn't fired - that's simple. They want him to testify for the State. If they fired him or indicted him, he might not testify against Sandusky.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Daughter2

That would make sense if it werent for that fact that there was an initial investigation by the police in which they asked Sandusky "Did you take a shower with a young boy?" Sandusky denied nothing. They told him not to do it again and closed the case.
edit on 12-11-2011 by acmpnsfal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

That may be so, but within 48 hours the call was to be made to ChildLine. That call was required by Paterno because McQueary already followed protocol and that made Paterno the designated agent. Why do I say that? Because the crimes were committed by a member of the coaching staff that Paterno was head of. Paterno was direct head of the football program. That means he was boss. His bosses were not directly over the football program, they are head of the University. So yes, Paterno was the designated agent.

The Athletic Director over rules the coach and so does the University President.If it was the Basketball team, it still goes to the AD.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

The University and Paterno covered this up for the same reason the Tobacco companies tried to hide/cover-up the tobacco-cancer connection and the same reason the energy multinationals are trying to cover-up/hide Global Warming.

Millions of $$ in lawsuits.

People will let others be injured, killed, maimed and destroyed to avoid civil liability / lawsuits.

The University was only CYA- just like the rest of the bastards who don't mind watching the human race go down the tubes to protect their almighty God - Mammon.
edit on 12-11-2011 by Stratus9 because: artichokes

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Reply to post by Stratus9

Thats a little overdramaitc, the entire administration did not know. It was a few people, including some police officers, that had suspicions. Only two people actually witnessed the abuse and they did not alert the police. They imo are more responsible for this than anyone else involved save the abuser.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I was wondering why The AD has not been fired as of yet, the article gives some reasons as to why.
PSU let Schultz retire? You have to be kidding me!!! No he gets to collect his pension and benefits.
How is Curley any more fit to lead than Paterno or Spanier?
ology.com

Former Penn State Athletic Director Tim Curley has been charged with perjury and is one of the central figures in the institutional cover up of Jerry Sandusky's sexual abuse of children over the course of decades at Penn State. Though he is no longer Athletic Director, Curley is on administrative leave from the University in order to devote his efforts to defending himself full-time. He has not been fired, like former coach Joe Paterno and former President Graham Spanier, neither of whom have been indicted on criminal charges. Gary Schultz, the former Penn State administrator who was also charged with perjury, has retired. Curley made an aggressive choice to hire defense attorney Caroline Roberto, who at Curley's Monday indictment, likened Curley's criminal charges to receiving a speeding ticket. It is unclear whether or not the University is paying Curley's legal fees. When asked specifically if Penn State was paying legal fees for Curley and Schultz, John Surma, a member of Penn State's Board of Trustees, told reporters that he could not answer the question. Most likely, Penn State does not feel assured that it can fire Curley without a countersuit from Curley.

As I wrote earlier this week, Penn State did not have to wait through due legal process to fire Paterno or Spanier, since they were obviously unfit for their positions of leadership. The case against Curley may not be as clear, after his pre-emptive move to vacate his position of authority. And as his choice of legal representation shows, Curley might not go quietly if Penn State tries to oust him.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by mugger

We may have to wait a while before we understand why some have been fired and others haven't.

Some of this will have to be played out in Federal Court. When civil suits in this matter are filed, they will be heard in Federal Court. If these civil cases are filed in state courts, the state will claim sovereignty, as the university is a state supported entity which was created through a state charter.

This fact will also create an issue of conflict of interest in the criminal trials which will be held in state court. The university (it's employees) will be defendants in the criminal cases, and the state will be prosecuting the cases..... And the state is the final entity in charge of the university.

I think that there were deals made last week or before, concerning which university employees would be keeping their jobs, according to their testimony in upcoming cases. It also may point to why Paterno was fired.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by mugger

We may have to wait a while before we understand why some have been fired and others haven't.

Some of this will have to be played out in Federal Court. When civil suits in this matter are filed, they will be heard in Federal Court. If these civil cases are filed in state courts, the state will claim sovereignty, as the university is a state supported entity which was created through a state charter.

This fact will also create an issue of conflict of interest in the criminal trials which will be held in state court. The university (it's employees) will be defendants in the criminal cases, and the state will be prosecuting the cases..... And the state is the final entity in charge of the university.

I think that there were deals made last week or before, concerning which university employees would be keeping their jobs, according to their testimony in upcoming cases. It also may point to why Paterno was fired.

Paterno was a close friend of Sandusky. The prosecutors may be looking at level of relationship. Paterno was on the board of Second Mile, Curley was not.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
This is not only bad for college football, now this will cause distrust for any coach. They are in positions of trust.
Obviously the reason college football is so powerful is that it is the third most watched sport in the US, and its a recruiting ground for the NFL which is the highwst grossing sport in the world. The dallas cowboys aline are a billion dollar franchise alone.maybe caps need to be put on the college football programs so kuds arent exploited.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Good point.

I hate to say it, but I keep a close eye on the scoutmasters and the priests around my 6 year old son.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
post removed.
edit on 12-11-2011 by pazcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
abcnews.go.com...

Interesting state Pennsylvania is.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by aviatrix
abcnews.go.com...

Interesting state Pennsylvania is.
Thanks, hadn't heard that story yet.

It looks like we (in the Keystone State) need to do a lot of housecleaning. I'm starting to feel ashamed to live here.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I don't really like the way the news spun this. Joe as I see it is a scape goat because he is old.

How come most of the news is about him and not the one that committed the crime or the one that observed it.

How do you know Joe wasn't told there is an on going investigation let's face with something like this it would be something the upper people would want quieted.

I believe Joe's reputation has been destroyed he did report after that we don't know what he was told...... he did so much good ...before you judge maybe you should know the whole story and be against the ones that did the deeds............................................................shame on the news hope they are proud .....as for the crime I hope the others get all that is due them.

Butcherguy I am sad you are ashamed to live in PA I live here and I am not ashamed to live here this stuff sadly happens everywhere.
edit on 12-11-2011 by observe50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by observe50

It remains to be seen just how much of a scapegoat Joe is in this very ugly affair. We have only seen the crusty scab (the finding of facts by the grand jury) on what is going to be a long-lasting, ugly and festering wound.

This is world news. It is horrible, and I am ashamed that it happened here. It has put a mark on PSU that will be there for a long time.

That judge in Luzerne County (from the linked story) is one of us, a Pennsylvanian.

I worry about what is going to come out in the weeks, months and years to come. It makes me sad too.

edit on 12-11-2011 by butcherguy because: Too add.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
It will be interesting to see how many documented hints come about in relation to Sandusky's crimes. I'd be willing to bet (in addition to taking Penn State next half), that there are interviews where people have tried to sneak in jokes about the illegal activities in regards to Sandusky and were hushed because they were only allegations. There must be some local news outlets or publications out there - Im sure they are combing all the footage over now.
If we start hearing this type of stuff, jokes from years past about Sandusky, do we fire each and every radio host or newspaper writer involved? How about the man who has predicted that Sandusky pimped out children? Should he be fired?

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Montour County District Attorney Robert Buehner Jr., a close friend of Gricar's, believes he was likely murdered. He defended Gricar's honesty and said there's likely a sound, legal explanation why Gricar didn't charge Sandusky in 1998.

Buehner believes Gricar likely reviewed Sandusky's comments to the boy's mother and determined they "were so ambiguous that it was not a 'confession', it was not an 'admission.'"

Stacy Parks Miller, the current Centre County DA, didn't return a call for comment; her office rejected two Right-to-Know requests filed on Thursday by the AP. The office said it couldn't release records about Gricar's disappearance because that investigation is ongoing. Gricar's file on the 1998 allegations against Sandusky also can't be released, Miller's office said, because "there are no such records in the office."

More interest -- Gricar's brother also was found floating in a river in Ohio about one year after Gricar's car was found near the Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania. As far as DA in Pennsylvania Gricar --There were cigarette ashes in his ashtray and he did not smoke. His car was a snazzy coupe red sports car with customized plates. The owner of an antique store said that he believes Gricar was in the store that morning, (he had been in there before) and appeared to be waiting for someone. The location of the antique store whereby the auto was found happens to be 50 miles away from his work -- but only 10 miles away from ---- the campus of Penn State....Smell any rats yet? Also of interest is that he reportedly was seen 3 days later in WIlkes-Barre. His lap top was found near a bridge in the river water and his hard drive was much later found on the banks of the river about a year later. Those apparently were meant to be found right? As if to say: I destroyed everything on my computer - there is nothing for anyone to find...here is the evidence. But then his brother turns up dead in Ohio a year later.

Some circumstanial evidence is very strong -- as when one finds a trout in the milk -- just saying.

I also find it very curious that DA Gricar chose not to prosecute, had been married 2 times and divorced, drove a snzzy coupe with custom plates, enjoyed antiques......and chose not to prosecute a child molester.....

edit on 12-11-2011 by aviatrix because: to explain that there were two Gricars, both suspected of suicide -- one body found in Ohio and one body never found

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

It's sad that a mans entire career/legacy has been ruined because of another mans actions. He was thought of as a great coach & a leader. No where in his contract did it say that he should sit in JUDGEMENT of another mans sins. Isn't that, AT LEAST, for a jury 2 decide???? That hasn't even happened yet, has it? Regardless of the offenders guilt or innocence, in a court of LAW, his esteemed career is OVER and that's a shame.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by aviatrix
Montour County District Attorney Robert Buehner Jr., a close friend of Gricar's, believes he was likely murdered. He defended Gricar's honesty and said there's likely a sound, legal explanation why Gricar didn't charge Sandusky in 1998.

Buehner believes Gricar likely reviewed Sandusky's comments to the boy's mother and determined they "were so ambiguous that it was not a 'confession', it was not an 'admission.'"

Stacy Parks Miller, the current Centre County DA, didn't return a call for comment; her office rejected two Right-to-Know requests filed on Thursday by the AP. The office said it couldn't release records about Gricar's disappearance because that investigation is ongoing. Gricar's file on the 1998 allegations against Sandusky also can't be released, Miller's office said, because "there are no such records in the office."

More interest -- Gricar's brother also was found floating in a river in Ohio about one year after Gricar's car was found near the Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania. As far as DA in Pennsylvania Gricar --There were cigarette ashes in his ashtray and he did not smoke. His car was a snazzy coupe red sports car with customized plates. The owner of an antique store said that he believes Gricar was in the store that morning, (he had been in there before) and appeared to be waiting for someone. The location of the antique store whereby the auto was found happens to be 50 miles away from his work -- but only 10 miles away from ---- the campus of Penn State....Smell any rats yet? Also of interest is that he reportedly was seen 3 days later in WIlkes-Barre. His lap top was found near a bridge in the river water and his hard drive was much later found on the banks of the river about a year later. Those apparently were meant to be found right? As if to say: I destroyed everything on my computer - there is nothing for anyone to find...here is the evidence. But then his brother turns up dead in Ohio a year later.

Some circumstanial evidence is very strong -- as when one finds a trout in the milk -- just saying.

I also find it very curious that DA Gricar chose not to prosecute, had been married 2 times and divorced, drove a snzzy coupe with custom plates, enjoyed antiques......and chose not to prosecute a child molester.....

edit on 12-11-2011 by aviatrix because: to explain that there were two Gricars, both suspected of suicide -- one body found in Ohio and one body never found

www.pennlive.com...

Those who live in PA or went to PSU may pick up on the irony of this man's name.

Also, anyone thinking that perhaps the Franklin ring simply moved from Nebraska to PA?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Paterno's choice in lawyers is interesting:

www.washingtonpost.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 30  31  32    34 >>

join