It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joe Paterno fired as football coach at Penn State

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by bo12au
Jow Pa had to be fired, and I agree with it. I read the Grand Jury report, and could not finish it. It is disgusting. How The university knew about this since 1994, and continued to let this go on for this many years is awful. The university knew about this, and than the sick F^&* STILL has access to the facillities?! Joe pa did his legal obligaton as far as reporting it to the athletic director and than president, but he did not fufill his MORAL obligation of finding out the truth, and reporting it to the authorities. This is sooo much more than a football game (which is huge,I am from the SEC) this is about a predator who raped young kids, while the university staff, who knowingly sat back and did nothing. Everyone of them should be fired.

And in the news today, they reported as many as 20 victims have come forward. The number of people who knew about this and did nothing is mind boggling.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by King_John

I would hope that if I were married to a sick piece of excrement like Sandusky, I would know what was going on. You can't tell me they had a normal or even a semi normal sex life. She didn't wonder what was up when he'd go down in the basement after the boy was supposed to have been asleep? I'm sure there were lots of signs, but she chose to look the other way. Maybe she liked the money. Maybe she liked the powerful "friends" they had. Something made her look the other way though until it was brought into Penn State later and all of the responsibility to intervene is put on Paterno. Nice for her. I wonder how long before she files for divorce.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
reply to post by RedParrotHead

Most everyone -- except WarminIndy.
I'm just getting tired of he/she harping on one person.

I blame Sandusky's wife more than Paterno.
How can any woman allow her husband to let young boys sleep in their home and not even have some idea that something was very wrong?
She could've stopped all of this a long time ago. As soon as her husband started the "charity" in 1977, she had plenty of time to speak up.

I will agree, because God forbid my husband-if I had one- would invite children to our house to sleep all night. If she confesses she knew one child was harmed, she, as the wife of an educator, was also required to call the police. Yes, I agree. But Sandusky's wife is not the face of Penn State.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

As I stated two pages ago, witnesses and others dumped all the info on Paterno as if he could fix everything. It was the school executives who should've taken away Sandusky's retirement privilages that stated he could be on campus. Paterno couldn't strip Sandusky of these contractual rights. Who cares who the face is of something? Just because Ronald McDonald is the face of McD's doesn't mean he's the one cooking all the crappy food.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

I would hope that if I were married to a sick piece of excrement like Sandusky, I would know what was going on. You can't tell me they had a normal or even a semi normal sex life. She didn't wonder what was up when he'd go down in the basement after the boy was supposed to have been asleep? I'm sure there were lots of signs, but she chose to look the other way. Maybe she liked the money. Maybe she liked the powerful "friends" they had. Something made her look the other way though until it was brought into Penn State later and all of the responsibility to intervene is put on Paterno. Nice for her. I wonder how long before she files for divorce.

Once again that's WAY to highly speculative to me, hind sight is 20/20, what may look like signs to people now were more than likely not even noticed before, would your first though of any suspicious activity from your spouse be that he/she is child molester?

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
This is the link to Pennsylvania State codes about reporting sex abuse...
www.pacode.com...

(b) Staff members of public or private agencies, institutions and facilities. Licensees who are staff members of a medical or other public or private institution, school, facility or agency, and who, in the course of their employment, occupation or practice of their profession, come into contact with children shall immediately notify the person in charge of the institution, school facility or agency or the designated agent of the person in charge when they have reasonable cause to suspect on the basis of their professional or other training or experience, that a child coming before them in their professional or official capacity is a victim of child abuse. Upon notification by the licensee, the person in charge or the designated agent shall assume the responsibility and have the legal obligation to report or cause a report to be made in accordance with subsections (a), (c) and (d). (c) Reporting procedure. Reports of suspected child abuse shall be made by telephone and by written report. (1) Oral reports. Oral reports of suspected child abuse shall be made immediately by telephone to ChildLine, (800) 932-0313. (2) Written reports. Written reports shall be made within 48 hours after the oral report is made by telephone. Written reports shall be made on forms available from a county children and youth social service agency. (d) Written reports. Written reports shall be made in the manner and on forms prescribed by the Department of Public Welfare. The following information shall be included in the written reports, if available:

Paterno also failed to make the written report directly to Child Services. And the oral report is to be made to ChildLine. Paterno did not make a written report and ChildLine was not called.

He only kept part of the legal requirement, and he could have because he could have been the designated agent. He became the designated agent when it was reported by his understaff, McQueary. He waited a week, it was legally required in 48 hours. So yes, Paterno is legally wrong.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Child predators have certain quarks that would be obvious to a mate. I would've not allowed boys to stay at the house. The other victims reported how he'd see them putting his hand on their thighs and tickling them. Was his wife blind? As blatant as Sandusky was, I can hardly believe that he wouldn't have done these same things in his wife's presence.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

I disagree, Joe Pa could/should have marched into the presidents office and/or board room and demanded that Sandusky be brought up on charges, if not then he should have went to the police and held a press conference explaining what was going on and who was suspected of what crimes. Period.

Every single person who had knowledge of these crimes had the DUTY to do everything possible to stop Sandusky and make him pay for his crimes. Including Paterno.

Instead, they got together in a dark room and figured out a way to make it go away so that the school could save it's reputation and coffers. Good choice made by pillars of the community.

edit on 11/11/2011 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

I would think it was the witness' responsibility to make the written report. Or the school's President who is the acting authority who stated that he was going to take care of the situation. I would think making a written report is part of "taking care of the situation".

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

That's the thing, from everybody who knew Sandusky closely said there are absolutely no signs, like I said tickling and any contact now looks likes signs, but at the time I'm sure most people thought it was just innocent horseplay. I know plenty of people who are overly affectionate or touchy with everybody.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by RedParrotHead

As I stated pages ago, Paterno couldn't have forced the DA or the college officials to do anything.
The only thing I believe Paterno could have done was threaten to go to another school if Sandusky wasn't taken care of. I feel this was really his only option at making them do anything, and he should've done this. If putting his career on the line would've made a difference, then if should've done it, but who's to say that it would've changed the DA's mind to press charges anyways?

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I know plenty of people who are overly affectionate or touchy with everybody.

I used to teach school and this would never be acceptable behavior from someone who works in a school environment. I can't stand touchy people. Especially those who are that way with kids. I always make sure to keep my distance from them.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I would think it was the witness' responsibility to make the written report. Or the school's President who is the acting authority who stated that he was going to take care of the situation. I would think making a written report is part of "taking care of the situation".

No, it was his duty to make the written report...again, according to the State of Pennsylvania.

(b) Staff members of public or private agencies, institutions and facilities. Licensees who are staff members of a medical or other public or private institution, school, facility or agency, and who, in the course of their employment, occupation or practice of their profession, come into contact with children shall immediately notify the person in charge of the institution, school facility or agency or the designated agent of the person in charge when they have reasonable cause to suspect on the basis of their professional or other training or experience, that a child coming before them in their professional or official capacity is a victim of child abuse. Upon notification by the licensee, the person in charge or the designated agent shall assume the responsibility and have the legal obligation to report or cause a report to be made in accordance with subsections (a), (c) and (d).

He not only had to report it to his superiors, but when McQueary reported it to him, he became the designated agent and was supposed to call not only the police, but the sex abuse reporting line ChildLine, and the phone number is given, and the written report.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

If the DA or Penn State did nothing, then could have gone directly to the press. Maybe Joe Pa loses his job or gets sued, who cares? He shouldn't have. Tell me that wouldn't have put Sandusky on everyone's radar and saved some of those children from being raped, which was the most important thing.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Here is a list of honorary board members for Sandusky's charity. On that list is Joe Paterno.

Board of Directors: Honorary Board

John R. Cappelletti - Retired PSU & NFL Football Player, Heisman Trophy Winner
R. R. M. Carpenter, III - Former Owner, Philadelphia Phillies
James E. Ford - Retired Vice President, Kmart
William A. Gettig - President, Gettig Technologies, Inc.
Jack Ham - Retired NFL Player, Pittsburgh Steelers, Hall of Fame
Franco Harris - Retired NFL Player, Pittsburgh Steelers, Hall of Fame
Lou Holtz - Retired Football Coach, Sportscaster, and Motivational Speaker
Dr. Bryce Jordan - Retired, Penn State University President
Willi Maier - President, Omni Plastics, Inc.
Matt Millen - ESPN Football Analyst
Arnold D. Palmer - President, Arnold Palmer Enterprises
Joseph V. Paterno - Head Football Coach, Penn State University
Andy Reid - Head Football Coach, Philadelphia Eagles
Dr. John Reidell - General Surgeon, Past Second Mile Board President
Cal Ripken, Jr. - Former ML Baseball Shortstop, President & CEO of Ripken Baseball, Inc.
Dominic Toscani - Owner & President, Paris Business Forms
Richard Vermeil - Retired NFL Head Coach, (Kansas City Chiefs, St. Louis Rams, Philadelphia Eagles)
Mark Wahlberg - Actor, Rapper, and Film & TV Producer
Verne Willaman - Retired Chairman and President, Ortho Pharmaceutical Corp.
Quentin Wood - Retired Chairman and CEO, Quaker State Oil Refining Corp.
Richard A. Zimmerman - Retired Chairman of the Board, Hershey Foods

www.thesecondmile.org...

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedParrotHead

He could have gone directly to the press. Maybe Joe Pa loses his job or gets sued, who cares? He shouldn't have. Tell me that wouldn't have put Sandusky on everyone's radar and saved some of those children from being raped, which was the most important thing.

According to the news, not one single report was made to Child Protective Services. That means the whole staff, including Paterno, was negligent. He could have done more, and should have done more. The reputation of JoePa was more important than that even of Penn State. He threw Penn State under the bus because of his failure to man up and take care of business.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

or cause a report to be made

This is where I things get fuzzy. Who knows if the President told Paterno he'd do the report. Paterno reported it as he should have, but who knows what he was told by those above him.

We already know that Penn State's President lied about what Paterno told him. I think it's fair to think that he may have lied and told Paterno that he was going to write the report. If Paterno wrote the report, he would've stated in it that a rape was reported instead of the President's version of "horsing around".
See where I'm going with this?

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leo Strauss
Here is a list of honorary board members for Sandusky's charity. On that list is Joe Paterno.

Board of Directors: Honorary Board

John R. Cappelletti - Retired PSU & NFL Football Player, Heisman Trophy Winner
R. R. M. Carpenter, III - Former Owner, Philadelphia Phillies
James E. Ford - Retired Vice President, Kmart
William A. Gettig - President, Gettig Technologies, Inc.
Jack Ham - Retired NFL Player, Pittsburgh Steelers, Hall of Fame
Franco Harris - Retired NFL Player, Pittsburgh Steelers, Hall of Fame
Lou Holtz - Retired Football Coach, Sportscaster, and Motivational Speaker
Dr. Bryce Jordan - Retired, Penn State University President
Willi Maier - President, Omni Plastics, Inc.
Matt Millen - ESPN Football Analyst
Arnold D. Palmer - President, Arnold Palmer Enterprises
Joseph V. Paterno - Head Football Coach, Penn State University
Andy Reid - Head Football Coach, Philadelphia Eagles
Dr. John Reidell - General Surgeon, Past Second Mile Board President
Cal Ripken, Jr. - Former ML Baseball Shortstop, President & CEO of Ripken Baseball, Inc.
Dominic Toscani - Owner & President, Paris Business Forms
Richard Vermeil - Retired NFL Head Coach, (Kansas City Chiefs, St. Louis Rams, Philadelphia Eagles)
Mark Wahlberg - Actor, Rapper, and Film & TV Producer
Verne Willaman - Retired Chairman and President, Ortho Pharmaceutical Corp.
Quentin Wood - Retired Chairman and CEO, Quaker State Oil Refining Corp.
Richard A. Zimmerman - Retired Chairman of the Board, Hershey Foods

www.thesecondmile.org...

Mark Wahlberg will have something to say publicly about this soon. He isn't quiet when it comes to things like this.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Upon reading the report of the Grand Jury, I find Joe Paterno complicit in this. First, the report makes it clear that University Police were NOT contacted in any way about the incident. Paterno only talked to Curley and Shultz, and then let the incident slide. He did not make the written report to Child Services and did not contact any type of law enforcement agency.

Not to mention, there seems to be semi-conclusive evidence that before this was reported to him he already knew that other things were going on. Why else tell Sandusky he couldn't bring children on campus and that he had to resign from being head coach? Very fishy.

That said, Paterno was definitely not the only one. I say fire them all and put Sandusky, Curley, Shultz, and all other admin officials who let this slide in jail. Paterno will receive his just deserts, and he is appropriately penitential, and did not actually break the law, only University policy, so he can just be fired.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

That's an interesting list of names and the fact that Paterno is on it speaks volumes. I hope that everyone also looks at the other people on the board and gives them just as much hell as they're giving Paterno.
I just want to see the guilt get spread evenly and it doesn't seem as though it is.

Edit to Add:
Oh, but Marky Mark couldn't have known anything. Not him!

Yeah, Hollyweird doesn't have any child predators....

edit on 11-11-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join